My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Information on my Grandfather....

drw72

Premium Member
I am not sure if this is the right section but I will try.

I am trying to track down masonic information on my grandfather. He died in 1986, my grandmother died in 2013 and my father a few months after her so I have no family ties or information to use. What I did get from my father is that he was in DeMolay but never joined the Masons because he was not a "joiner".

He was a Shriner in Corpus Christi, TX (where I grew up for a time). I remember a Scottish Rite book on the bookshelves, a Templar Sword on the living room wall and they had an OES and Shriner medallion on their car.

I did not put all of this together until I had joined the fraternity last year myself and by then it was too late to ask.

Any information or advice would be great...thanks.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I'm not sure if "he" is the same person in each use, but a person would have to have been s Mason to be a Shriner

drw72

Premium Member
Sorry, I will clarify; My father was the DeMolay but never became a Mason. My grandfather was a Mason/Shriner in Corpus Christi Texas.

I know my grandfather was a Mason I just don't know more than that...ie what lodge, when raised, etc. I am just looking for any information, like his 'record' or something.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
I am not sure if this is the right section but I will try.

I am trying to track down masonic information on my grandfather. He died in 1986, my grandmother died in 2013 and my father a few months after her so I have no family ties or information to use. What I did get from my father is that he was in DeMolay but never joined the Masons because he was not a "joiner".

He was a Shriner in Corpus Christi, TX (where I grew up for a time). I remember a Scottish Rite book on the bookshelves, a Templar Sword on the living room wall and they had an OES and Shriner medallion on their car.

I did not put all of this together until I had joined the fraternity last year myself and by then it was too late to ask.

Any information or advice would be great...thanks.

As previously mentioned, your grandfather had to have been a Mason in order the Shrine & Order of the Eastern Star... The answer to your question can simply be located with the help of your local Lodge secretary. All you need to know is basic information about the person that you are looking for, and the state in which they would have been Raised as a Master Mason.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Contact the Grand Lodge of Texas, they do masonic genealogy requests. Look under contact.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
The proper protocol is to utilize your own Lodge Secretary to make contact with the Grand Lodge Secretary.

The proper protocol is to utilize your own Lodge Secretary to make contact with the Grand Lodge Secretary.

http://grandlodgeoftexas.org/blue_lodge/masonic-record-request-form/

You could be right. Not sure. But it appears that individuals can pay the $10 fee, fill out the form, and have the search done.

drw72

Premium Member
I contacted the Indiana grand Lodge about my Great Uncle (his lodge was listed in his obituary) and got this back (quick and through email / PDF). Now I just have to send off to the TX GL for information.

Attachments

• 2015-12-30_10-29-52.jpg
    2015-12-30_10-29-52.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 561

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Never seen a GL require protocol be followed for a genealogy request. I might note, that it is not the secretary who should contact the grand secretary of a foreign GL, but the grand secretary.

You are correct. My point was you should go through your own GL Secretary. In this jurisdiction it is proper for the "secretaries" to do the communication. I never said that you could not contact your GL Secretary directly.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
I contacted the Indiana grand Lodge about my Great Uncle (his lodge was listed in his obituary) and got this back (quick and through email / PDF). Now I just have to send off to the TX GL for information.

There you go, simple enough.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
You are correct. My point was you should go through your own GL Secretary. In this jurisdiction it is proper for the "secretaries" to do the communication. I never said that you could not contact your GL Secretary directly.
In my experience there is no need to go through your own GL secretary for a genealogy request to a foreign GL. This is not usually considered a Masonic communication.

While TX may be lenient, the usual rule is that a GSec accepts Masonic communications from another GSec, not a Lodge Sec. One can find the response would be returned to the GSec of the sender.