My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Invited to a Ceremony

aw3552

Site Benefactor
I've recently started exploring my interests in Freemasonry and visited a local lodge on 2 occasions. The first time was on a non-meeting day and met several members. The last time was before a stated meeting. I was given a petition and was invited to the Scottish Rite Rememberance and Renewal Ceremony. I was told it is formal, but I want to make sure I don't dress inappropriately. This is all unfamiliar terrain for me, and I don't want to come off as disrespectful to the customs and traditions. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Bloke

Premium Member
Jacket and tie sounds good. You put your question very well, I assume there is a RSVP contact and suggest you ask them as you did us to make sure..

dfreybur

Premium Member
There are a bunch of Masonic ceremonies that are deliberately intended for outsiders to attend. They are a part of our Public Relations program. It is fabulous for non-Masons to attend.

If an event is marked formal, expect those who have activities in the event to be in tuxedo, possibly even tails. Everyone one will be dressy whatever that means for them personally. If you have a matched suit that would be a little bit better than putting a blazer over your regular non-dress-up clothes. Not necessary but it is likely a lot of the guys in the audience will be in matched suits. Don't buy or rent a suit for the event, just select dressy out of your current closet.

aw3552

Site Benefactor
There are a bunch of Masonic ceremonies that are deliberately intended for outsiders to attend. They are a part of our Public Relations program. It is fabulous for non-Masons to attend.

If an event is marked formal, expect those who have activities in the event to be in tuxedo, possibly even tails. Everyone one will be dressy whatever that means for them personally. If you have a matched suit that would be a little bit better than putting a blazer over your regular non-dress-up clothes. Not necessary but it is likely a lot of the guys in the audience will be in matched suits. Don't buy or rent a suit for the event, just select dressy out of your current closet.
Thanks for the tip!

hanzosbm

Premium Member
I've recently started exploring my interests in Freemasonry and visited a local lodge on 2 occasions. The first time was on a non-meeting day and met several members. The last time was before a stated meeting. I was given a petition and was invited to the Scottish Rite Rememberance and Renewal Ceremony. I was told it is formal, but I want to make sure I don't dress inappropriately. This is all unfamiliar terrain for me, and I don't want to come off as disrespectful to the customs and traditions. Any guidance would be appreciated.
When is the event? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.