My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Masonry a cult?

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
Think about this.

A cult is easy to get into and hard to get out of.

Masonry is hard to get into and easy to get out of.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
The defintion pretty much clears it up as well, seeing as we having nothing to do with religion.

Main Entry: cult
Pronunciation: \ˈkəlt\
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate — more at wheel
Date: 1617
1 : formal religious veneration : worship
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : the object of such devotion c : a usually small group of people characterized

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
WHY??? I guess the same reason a lot of post get unto the forum. Is their a reason you ask? :help:I just thought it to be a good come back to those how say the Masonry is a cult without going into all the long definition.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Haha I have no idea what this topic is about, I went straight to scotts avatar! Okay...back to the top I go.

LRG

Premium Member
It's funny what some say about our craft.
We shoot lightning bolts from are arse and control the stars with a blink of an I:crazy:

owls84

Premium Member
May I ask why the question came up?

I think this is a great question. I have been asked this during an investigation and it is wonderful if we all have an answer.

I personally liked Robert Langdon's definition in "The Lost Symbol" By Dan Brown.

Langdon smiled. “Sorry, but the word occult, despite conjuring images of devil worship, actually means ‘hidden’ or ‘obscured.’ In times of religious oppression, knowledge that was counterdoctrinal had to be kept hidden or ‘occult,’ and because the church felt threatened by this, they redefined anything ‘occult’ as evil, and the prejudice survived.â€

Langdon feigned a sad sigh. “Too bad. If that’s too freaky for you, then I know you’ll never wantto join my cult.â€
Silence settled over the room. The student from the Women’s Center looked uneasy. “You’re in a cult?â€
Langdon nodded and lowered his voice to a conspiratorial whisper. “Don’t tell anyone, but onthe pagan day of the sun god Ra, I kneel at the foot of an ancient instrument of torture and consume ritualistic symbols of blood and flesh.â€

The class looked horrified. Langdon shrugged. “And if any of you care to join me, come to the Harvard chapel on Sunday, kneel eneath the crucifix, and take Holy Communion.â€

Sirius

I think this is a great question. I have been asked this during an investigation and it is wonderful if we all have an answer.

I personally liked Robert Langdon's definition in "The Lost Symbol" By Dan Brown.

Langdon smiled. “Sorry, but the word occult, despite conjuring images of devil worship, actually means ‘hidden’ or ‘obscured.’ In times of religious oppression, knowledge that was counterdoctrinal had to be kept hidden or ‘occult,’ and because the church felt threatened by this, they redefined anything ‘occult’ as evil, and the prejudice survived.”

Langdon feigned a sad sigh. “Too bad. If that’s too freaky for you, then I know you’ll never wantto join my cult.”
Silence settled over the room. The student from the Women’s Center looked uneasy. “You’re in a cult?”
Langdon nodded and lowered his voice to a conspiratorial whisper. “Don’t tell anyone, but onthe pagan day of the sun god Ra, I kneel at the foot of an ancient instrument of torture and consume ritualistic symbols of blood and flesh.”

The class looked horrified. Langdon shrugged. “And if any of you care to join me, come to the Harvard chapel on Sunday, kneel beneath the crucifix, and take Holy Communion.”

Very accurate. But, lets not quote Robert Langdon to our candidates though. OK?

However cult and occult are two different things. The occult is hidden knowledge. A cult is a group. Important differences. Masonry touches on the occult however it is not a cult.

Wingnut

Premium Member
However cult and occult are two different things. The occult is hidden knowledge. A cult is a group. Important differences. Masonry touches on the occult however it is not a cult.

I see the same confusion caused by Gnostic and Agnostic...

scottmh59

while not being a cult,we are a group of men seeking a form of enlightenment that is not mainstream.

people fear what they do not fully understand

Last edited:

MGM357

When I hear the word "cult", the goups of people come to mind are, Branch Davidian, Charles Manson, James Jones? (they all drank poison in South America), and the group in California that all committed suicide and were waiting for their spaceship to take them home. Those groups tend to scare the hell out of me.