My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there an outline for Lodge inspections?

Bublouie

Hello Brothers,
I am a SW in the state of Ohio, and have a question. Does anyone know of or have access to an outline of the flow of an annual inspection, an agenda or flow-chart if you will, other than the DDGM's who do the inspections? My year in the East is 2015 and I would like to begin my education for that honor as well as my planning. I appreciate any information or thoughts on this.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
In Texas, generally the DDGM will inspect the Lodge's minutes for being complete & accurate, will check to see that the Lodge has completed the most recent year's audit and IRS Form 990, will examine the Lodgeroom to see that the Lodge has all the required regalia and that the Lodgeroom is set up according to Grand Lodge Law, and will complete a questionaire with the Lodge officers, which contains questions regarding the Lodge's charitable endeavors, community outreach, and involvement with Grand Lodge programs.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Here, there is quite a bit to an inspection. I honestly don't know about checking the minutes, finances, etc., because I have never been involved in that end. I do know he looks around the lodge to make sure you have all the necessary furniture. But from a ritual standpoint, you have to be able to:
open/close
purge
call off/call on
confer the first section and pass the lecture of whatever degree the inspector randomly selects
and from the school of instruction I attended Saturday, I know this year he will be really looking at floor work

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
In Texas the DDGM has nothing to do with the ritual- that is strictly the purview of the District Instructors & the Committee on Work. Very few of the DDGMs I've known could even pass a proficiency exam! :wink:

JCmasonSquared

In New York, from memory
-Randomly inspects the minutes of a communication
-inspects black book of rejected/suspended/expelled
-inspects roster of members and dues status
-insures charter is present
-inspects financials
-insures opening/closing in due and ancient form
-insures presence of Grand Lodge book of Laws and Constitutions and lodge by-laws

That's all I can recall at the moment, I'll post again if I remember more.

You're doing a good thing, you can NEVER start getting prepared for the East too early, never has there been a Master who says "I prepared too much".

Good luck,

Josh

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App