My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joining Scottish Rite

The Traveling Man

I was wondering, when you join the Scottish Rite do you receive a certificate and apron? Or is that only after receiving the 32nd?

Also, do the Valleys meet as a whole, or do the Lodges of Perfecting, Council, Chapter and Consistory have separate meetings as well?

Last edited:

dfreybur

Premium Member
In SR there's a hat rather than an apron. In some valleys the hat is optional. There's also an optional 14th degree ring that is the official ring though many of us get the unofficial 32nd degree ring instead of the official 14th degree ring.

The valleys I have attended have a cycle where the officers of each body do the opening and closing for one meeting each month but most of the business conducted applies to all 4 bodies. So they sort of both meet as a whole and have separate meetings. The boundaries are clear by ritual and degree, blurred by task and finances.

Last edited:

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
In Oregon, each body meets at a different day during the month. The Lodge of perfection handels all the business and what not and the other three bodies get to focus on their works.
In New Mexico all 4 bodies meet at the same time...3rd monday of the month.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Here the lodge of perfection is the presiding body

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
All 4 open and close...one ritual but the heads all declare their body open/closed

The Traveling Man

Seems interesting. I'll be joining the Valley of Detroit at their reunion next Saturday. Definitely excited. A few questions come to mind. The degrees that will be conferred that day are in the Lodge of Perfection and the Consistory, but not the Council and Chapter. Do I still obtain the degrees of the Council and Chapter by default or do I wait until I attend a reunion where those degrees are being conferred? And when attending other Valley reunions (or PHA Valley's, which I believe is allowed) will I be given a dues card to present as proof of membership like in the Blue Lodge? I've seen people post pics of their 32nd Degree certificate but I've never seen one for any of the other bodies or degrees so I wasn't sure what type of identification/proof of membership, if any, is issued.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I lived in Chicago for a decade plus and attended the valley there for a while. The same as southern jurisdiction - A list of mandatory degrees is performed in the theater. The list includes at least one degree from each body. You mention one day. It sounds to me like so far you have only read the schedule for the first day of a weekend. Either way you will be informed at your reunion.

In addition to a dues car both jurisdictions issue a "passport" to record which degrees you have attended in theater. The first reunion I attended in Chicago I showed my SJ one and they issued me an NJ one and proceeded to stamp that one.

As to visiting PHA valleys, that's definitely allowed in your region. It goes based on whether your local state GL has recognition. Definitely go and see their degrees.

The Traveling Man

This one is 1 day. 5 degrees, 3 from the Lodge of Perfection and 2 from the Consistory. The other 2 nearby Valleys are doing 2 day Reunions, 5 degrees including the Chapter, but also aren't conferring any of the degrees of the Council. My sponsor is the High Priest of the Council so i'll check with him as to why.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Never heard of that body....
The Lodge of Perfection is the Venerable Master, the Chapter of Rose Croix is the Wise Master, the Council of Kadosh is the Commander, and the Consistory is the Master of Kadosh.

The Traveling Man

Apparently there's a different set up here. No Council of Kadosh here, but I believe the PHA also have that. And here, the Lodge of Perfection would be the Thrice Potent Master, Council is Sovereign Prince, Chapter is Most Wise Master and Consistory is Commander in Chief

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Yeah i just realised that u are in the NMJ. I was speaking in reference to the SJ

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I'm a member of the SJ. I did receive a very nice certificate a few weeks after I joined. I then purchased a 32nd degree "black hat". Let us know how things go Saturday.