Light

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by JB93, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

Good job. Is there something in your by laws or constitution forbidding you from given signss etc ?

2. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

the due guards and penal signs and words that accompany them are only to be given in lodge or for instruction. The tokens are those things that allow brothers to know a fellow bro in darkness and in light. so those can be given in public, but your not gonna like look at your wife and say "hey watch this" and then go grip a man. Ive done it when I see a brother with a pin or hat or something and I just walk up and say "hey Brother hows it going?" and extend my hand and give the EA grip. They usually look you in the eye give a nod nod then you go about your day.

mrpierce17 likes this.
  3. JB93

JB93 Registered User

I think you can use your signs in public.. thats how brothers help eachother in need... I helped a brother who was broke down on the side of the road because of his due guard

4. Travelling Man91

So he was given a due guard or the GHSD ?

5. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

"Token" actually appears in our ritual. When I first read the question, I was thinking "gifts" like S&Q pins, but then read on and thought it might be about proving Freemasons - you could read it either way and decided not to respond about gifts because that's not where the thread was going.... but gifts are back on the table.

I have a big pin collection - few have been purchased by me, many mailed to me by American Brothers.. but I always try to keep an Australian or Victorian S&Q or lapel badge in my case to give visitors... Melbourne Shriners went to CA a few years ago, they purchased or were given heaps of pins ad I got many as gifts. My most treasured one is a small S&Q from PA and a brother I used to talk to often via email and even phone. I sent him the MM pin I was presented in Open Lodge - the one I wear is his... I wear it more often than I do my apron... its treasured because of the friendship with this brother who I've never met and they way the common bond of Freemasonry brings men together.

6. mrpierce17

mrpierce17 KOP Council director / Lodge instructor Premium Member

I would love to exchange a MWUGLofFL lapel pin for one of yours it would be the firs one I received outside of my jurisdiction and also the first I ever gifted

7. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

I wouldn't, but have had others do it. As tokens are modes of recognition, my obligation, as I understand it, prohibits me from displaying them in public. But that's just me- others' mileage may vary.

MRichard likes this.
  8. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

No, not ever.

MRichard likes this.
  9. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

I was taught to give the "two-handed shake" when giving a token in public, blocking it from view.

mrpierce17 and MRichard like this.
  10. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

"Cover your work" is a Scottish thing in my experience, we don't do it here which always seems weird to the Scots we examine. but it might be an "Ancients" thing and used in the States ?

Warrior1256 likes this.
  11. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

It's a slippery slope, because suddenly you're sending pins all over the place. There is some sort of extra cost sending mail into the States for scanning in a post 9/11 word... but I think that's for larger items... I actually owe a few people some mail... I will contact you privately on this...

mrpierce17 likes this.
  12. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Now that I think about it, yes. Once not long after I was raised.

13. Travelling Man91

Was he a GL mason or PHA mason ?

Warrior1256 likes this.
  14. Warrior1256

PHA.

15. Travelling Man91

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do ?

16. Warrior1256

Well, being a brand new MM I returned the sign and we proceeded to talk about Masonry for a minute or two, nothing "secret". He was at his place of employment and was on the clock so we couldn't talk long. I understand now that maybe I was wrong to perform the penal sign (EA) outside of lodge.

17. Travelling Man91

Why was it wrong ? Does your GL forbid it ?

Warrior1256 likes this.
  18. Warrior1256

nNot as far as I know but I will be checking. I believe that a Brother on the forum stated that you were not supposed to use the penalty sign outside of lodge. Im only a two year MM and still learning.

19. JB93

JB93 Registered User

If we're going by our obligations on exchanging tokens and signs.. then we must follow the rules all the way through! Remember the cut and carve part?? That Mean we shouldn't be wearing paraphernalia in public..

20. mrpierce17

mrpierce17 KOP Council director / Lodge instructor Premium Member

There is one key word in that ( secret ) nothing secret about displaying them

Warrior1256 and Glen Cook like this.

Share My Freemasonry