My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lone Star Mason - Putting Quantity Before Quality: The Open West Gate

JJones

Good post..just commented

Thanks Brother, your support and feedback is always appreciated. :)

If I vote for marvelous, does that mean that most of us brethren will need to find another society?

Thanks a great question, thanks for asking!

I'm not suggesting kicking anyone out or anything like that. I just feel many lodges don't take their responsibilities as gatekeepers to our Fraternity as seriously as they should.

JJones

So how are lodges to transition? Is there to be a takeover by brethren that count themselves more suited?

Or are you suggesting new lodges?

Ideally, at least in my mind, the transition would be a result of lodges raising their standards of membership. This would likely include requiring the petitioner to participate in lodge activities for a set time to get to know everyone, and the investigation committees visiting the petitioners house and examining the man, and his past, more closely. Personally, I also feel that higher degree fees would discourage anyone with a casual interest from petitioning.

I'm not suggesting new lodges, I don't know how I feel about going to through the process to create new lodges when established lodges are forced to turn in their charters and permanently close their doors at the same time. Besides, chartering new lodges wouldn't accomplish anything if the standards to admission were still very low.

R

Ressam

"The future of the Fraternity is in our hands brethren. Do we want it to be marvelous or mundane?"

If I vote for marvelous, does that mean that most of us brethren will need to find another society?

I'm telling again&again, Mr.James:
Nuclear Weapons & Artifical Satellites/Internet/Telecommunication had changed everything!
Freemasonry needs Huge Transformation!

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
Perhaps there are two west gates, an outer one and an inner one. The complaint seems to be that many who make it through the outer west gate never even approach the inner west gate. Perhaps there is more than one reason for this. Perhaps.