Making meetings more interesting

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Mosaic, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Mosaic

Mosaic Registered User

We're all familiar with meetings that trend to the mundane nature of reading minutes, paying bills, eating & going home. I'm curious of ideas to make meetings more interesting.

Do you incorporate masonic instruction into your meetings? If so, is there a committee to handle various things such as lectures/instruction?

ARizo1011 and AmigoKZ like this.
  2. Brother_Steve

Brother_Steve Premium Member

I would assume Mosaic means after business, the lodge is put on a tiled refreshment for a presentation.

We have a ritual advisory committee that does education and leads degree/general rehearsals. Sometimes they do a piece in tiled refreshment.

AmigoKZ likes this.
  3. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

We have two meetings each month. One is the Stated, and is all business. We do not have dinner or degrees, we fulfill our contractual obligations. The other meeting is a Lodge of Instruction, where papers are read and presentations given. It is also when we confer Degrees. This is always followed by a formal, catered dinner, filled with ritual toasts and fine fellowship.

JamesMichael, crono782 and AmigoKZ like this.
  4. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

Well, sometimes I stand up and talk about something that interests me. One time I stood up during Lodge and gave a brief Masonic biography of Rudyard Kipling and then read his poem "If". Another time I told the story of the first Mason to land on the moon and how this led to the founding of the first Lodge on the moon. (you can read about it here: http://tl2k.org/history.htm ) No, we don't have a committee that approves such things. Just me walking up to the WM before the meeting starts and explaining that I would like a few minutes of the Lodges time to tell a story.

I only tell stories about stuff that interests me, or fascinates me, or inspires me and is Masonic in nature. These really aren't lectures. They take less than five minutes and give the Brothers something interesting to think about. So far no one has complained. And there has always been one at least Brother who comes up to me after the meeting and wants to discuss the topic a little further.

5. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

At this point in my short Masonic association I find all of the meetings interesting, even those discussing paying the bills!

ARizo1011 likes this.
  6. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

I find all meetings deeply comforting because of the fellowship, even those meetings where we pay the bills then leave and some go for a mug of "evening holy water" together.

In neurolinguistic programming that's called "reframing". Start - boring meetings. End - deeply comforting meetings. Difference in action - none. Difference in viewpoint - vast.

CloseYetFar and Warrior1256 like this.
  7. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

And I hope that I always feel the same way.

8. JamesMichael

JamesMichael Premium Member

Our meetings can be pretty dry. We set record last week open and closed 29 minutes. Would have been sooner if I realized they were timing it,I was SD.

9. Tx4ever

Tx4ever Registered User

I met a brother a couple of weeks ago at an OES meeting, I asked him how his lodge was doing he stated and I quote " Some of these NEW guys are standing up and talking about Masonic, and our lodge history , sometimes for 15 minute's, we got brothers walking out ,they need to quit " I don't think we will ever make everyone happy.

dfreybur likes this.
  10. JJones

JJones Moderator Staff Member

I can't imagine why anyone would sit through the minutes and bills without batting an eye but leave after 15 minutes of Freemasonry.

11. Tx4ever

Tx4ever Registered User

I think it goes back to the old joke, How many Masons does it take to change a light bulb? Change did someone say change.

12. Levelhead

Levelhead Premium Member

Our meetings are allways 1-2 hours. We do have masonic education and its informative. Last meeting we went over masonic etiquette. Now my problem with all of the speakers time is.... He reads everything printed off a paper so it sounds like a stuttering robot. THAT makes you want to fall to sleep. Id rather him read it over and give a presentation in his own words.

I think walking out during a presentation because its boring is disrespectful.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  13. Arnold71

Arnold71 Registered User

That is very disrespectful and that isn't brotherly love of any kind

14. Companion Joe

Companion Joe Premium Member

Our stated meetings are generally all business (because we fortunately have quite a bit) and last about an hour. We have enough degree work that the "Masonry" part of it comes in there. We have an EA coming up next week, and that will be our 30th lodge opening and our 32nd degree conferred this year. Our attendance at stated meetings just for the business is really good because there is good fellowship before and after. We had 28 at the October meeting, and that was with four regulars missing because they were out of town. At our stated meetings, people start arriving an hour to 45 minutes before, and many remain long after the closing gavel has fallen.

15. Levelhead

Levelhead Premium Member

Wasnt saying i would walk out lol. Was saying that people have walked out and i think its disrespectful!!

Sory worded it wrong!

16. Arnold71

Arnold71 Registered User

LOl...I was ssaying in general .......

17. Levelhead

Levelhead Premium Member

Oh like if someone did that! Gotcha

18. Angus

Angus Registered User

My Lodge meets twice a month for one hour, to do business. The first meeting the Stewards cook the second the wives do pot luck. On the second and fourth weeks there is a meeting where Degrees / practices are done. This schedule is the best I have seen.

19. cemab4y

cemab4y Premium Member

Maryland has a tradition of interesting meeting.s

20. Bro. Staton

Bro. Staton Registered User

My lodge meets twice a month one business and one instruction. The meeting times can range from 1-5 hours at times we tend to stay on the same subject much to long. However, I am trying to come up with a new format which details the topics of the meeting before hand and how long each speaker and topic will be discussed. I don't know how the craft will feel about it but I would like to submit it to the craft. If anyone is interested in the format let me know and I can send it via email.

Share My Freemasonry