My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonry Ring

dconaway

I do not currently have a ring however, I would like to get one. What is the proper way to wear it. IE. which hand/finger with the compass facing you or away?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Mobile

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
There is absolutely no “proper“ way. There are rationalizations for every imaginable manner in which it may be worn, some of which involve illogical if not magical thinking.

There are regional customs.

But there is simply no mandated way to wear it.

Best to observe and ask about customs in your lodge,and take the reasoning behind them with a grain of salt.

MarkR

Premium Member
Brother Cook is correct, and don't let anybody tell you different. Wear it on any finger of either hand, pointing in the direction that looks best to you. People will tell you "I was told by the most knowledgeable Mason I've ever known that it's supposed to be worn . . ." but there is absolutely no rule. Myth, legends, local customs, yes, but no rule. I've had people tell me "my Grand Lodge has a rule on it," but when asked to produce evidence of that rule, they never can.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
I do not currently have a ring however, I would like to get one. What is the proper way to wear it. IE. which hand/finger with the compass facing you or away?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Mobile
To find out if your own Grand Lodge has any rules about the wearing of masonic themed jewellery you will need to talk to the Secretary of your own Lodge.