Not going to JW

Discussion in 'Officers of the Lodge' started by JamesMichael, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

Under GLoTX it does- you would not have to serve as a Warden in a Texas Lodge since you've served as Master in another jurisdiction.

Art. 276. Qualifications.

Any member of a Lodge in good standing, and against whom no charges are pending, and who has previously served as Worshipful Master of a regular Lodge in another Grand Jurisdiction, or as Worshipful Master or Warden of a Lodge in this Grand Jurisdiction, and who is qualified according to the provisions of Article 276a of these laws, is eligible to be elected Worshipful Master.

You would, however, have to comply with Art. 276a, as follows:

Art. 276a. Additional Qualifications.
    Prior to his installation as Worshipful Master or Warden, a Brother shall in all circumstances first be qualified as follows:

1. To the satisfaction of the members of his Lodge, he shall be proficient to properly open and close an Entered Apprentice, Fellowcraft, Master Mason’s Lodge, and a Master Mason’s Lodge of Sorrow in the manner prescribed by the Committee on Work and approved by this Grand Lodge, and

2. To the satisfaction of the members of his Lodge, he shall have completed a Grand Lodge approved course in the administration of his duties or the Lodge Instruction for Effectiveness program (L.I.F.E.) under the supervision of the Masonic Education and Service Committee. The L.I.F.E. Program is to be administered by a Lodge Counselor appointed by the Worshipful Master, whose term expires upon the appointment of his successor in office.

Any person who has previously served as Worshipful Master of a Lodge under the Jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Texas is exempt from the requirements of this article.

dfreybur likes this.
  2. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I'll folllow Bills lead..

167. A nominee for the position of Master shall have been a Master Mason in a Craft Lodge in Victoria for a period of at least five (5) years prior to his Installation unless a dispensation shall have been obtained from the Grand Master, and shall have
    a) served for one year the office of Master in a regular Lodge warranted under Grand Lodge or any sister Constitution recognised by Grand Lodge, OR
    b) served for one year the office of Warden in the Lodge in which he has nominated, OR
    c) served for one year the office of Warden in any other regular Lodge warranted under Grand Lodge or any sister Constitution recognised by Grand Lodge. Provided that no Past Warden of another Lodge shall be eligible for nomination and election unless previously to such nomination a dispensation shall have been obtained from the Grand Master exempting him from service as a Warden in the Lodge in which the election is to take place.

168. If, for any reason, a Warden has not served for a full year in this office, he can only be a candidate for election as Master if the Grand Master has been advised of the circumstances and has granted a dispensation.

3. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Sorry, don't see the relevance to my query: is there any GL which doesn't have prerequisite offices to serve as a Master?

4. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Just confirming, as Bill did, that we have offices to serve as a prerequisite for the office of Master

5. Glen Cook

He was addressing another's inquiry. My question is whether there are any which do not have such.

6. Canadian Paul

Canadian Paul Registered User

The Grand Lodge of Scotland. You only have to be a 'Qualified Member' of the Lodge and be elected. (Law 133).

Bloke and Brother JC like this.
  7. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

Out of curiosity, how is "Qualified Member" defined?

8. Glen Cook

Thanks.

Share My Freemasonry