My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Past Master Aprons

IndianaPM

Greetings Brethren,

I am in search of an answer that has been evading me. I am a PM and Secretary at our Lodge (Indiana) and our previous Master has inquired about a PM apron he would like to obtain. This particular apron is dressed with metal tassels vs the clothed fringe tassels I am accustomed to. My question is rather this just preference, or is there a jurisdictional issue here? Do any of you PM here in the States wear chained tassels on your aprons or is this more of a European style of apron? I have attached some sample photos for your viewing.

Thank you for any assistance and knowledge you can impart on the matter.

Fraternally,
IndianaPM

Attachments

• 3849A365-7837-41D0-A474-444B969196C9.jpeg
    3849A365-7837-41D0-A474-444B969196C9.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 790F5CF0-4075-42DC-8C76-636E38F4AF6B.jpeg
    790F5CF0-4075-42DC-8C76-636E38F4AF6B.jpeg
    260.4 KB · Views: 115

Keith C

I am in PA and our PM Aprons are, of course, totally different than anywhere else! Nevertheless I would suggest that the DDGM be asked this question, as it is most likely to vary from Jurisdiction to Jurisdiction.

I will also note that here the Lodge purchases PM Aprons and Jewels for our PMs and they are typically presented with them at the January Stated Meeting (Our Officer Installations are in December.) and the Apron and Jewel are the property of the Lodge and are returned after the a PM passes away.

https://i.etsystatic.com/12431351/r/il/56ca94/3438106306/il_794xN.3438106306_ps6p.jpg

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Jurisdictions vary. Some, like Texas, have very regimented apron rules. Some, like Utah, have no rules.

I would suggest you consult with your grand secretary.

FWIW, some might think those pictured are grand Officer aprons.

MarkR

Premium Member
Yes, jurisdictional rules on aprons vary greatly. In Minnesota, purple and gold are for Grand Lodge aprons only. Even if the ones you show in the pictures are dark blue instead of purple, the gold is a no-go. And the pictures each show a different PM emblem. A lot of Minnesota PMs get the wrong one. Nobody makes a big deal out of it, but the correct one is specified in the Masonic Code. Now, as for the chains or fabric fringes, there's no rule on that here.

Chris H

UGLE has silver / chrome chains on light blue and gold on dark blue provincial and above

Nickel City Dude

In NY our PM aprons can only be white, silver and blue. Purple is reserved for Grand Lodge offices and Fringe for Grand Masters and past Grand Masters.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
Just for completeness. Under the UGLE there is no such thing as a Past Master's apron, although the term has managed to sneak into common usage. However, there is the apron of an Installed Master which is the one described above. This is worn only with the collar of the Lodge of which the IM is currently the WM or with no collar if visiting other Lodges until our initial term in the East is completed by Installing our successor. At this point the apron is complemented by a collar and jewel which define us initially as the Immediate Past Master of the Lodge and then after a further year as just a Past Master.

Keith C

I had my PM apron out this morning as I have a meeting tonight, so i figured I would snap some photos. I included a photo of the back, showing the pocked to keep a pair of gloves and since I had the case open anyway included a photo of my PM Jewel to show what that looks like in PA. Note that the initials on the Jewel are not mine, as wer "recycle" the jeweles of departed PMs and the previous PMs initials remind us of their service to the Craft. My years are attached to the ribbon and my mane inscribed on the back in addition to theose of the origunal PM,

IMG-2209.jpg
IMG-2210.jpg
unnamed.jpg

LD1513PM

I had my PM apron out this morning as I have a meeting tonight, so i figured I would snap some photos. I included a photo of the back, showing the pocked to keep a pair of gloves and since I had the case open anyway included a photo of my PM Jewel to show what that looks like in PA. Note that the initials on the Jewel are not mine, as wer "recycle" the jeweles of departed PMs and the previous PMs initials remind us of their service to the Craft. My years are attached to the ribbon and my mane inscribed on the back in addition to theose of the origunal PM,

View attachment 7111View attachment 7112View attachment 7113
That's very nice indeed.

LD1513PM

View attachment 7111View attachment 7112View attachment 7113
That's very nice indeed.

Bloke

Premium Member
Just for completeness. Under the UGLE there is no such thing as a Past Master's apron, although the term has managed to sneak into common usage. However, there is the apron of an Installed Master which is the one described above. This is worn only with the collar of the Lodge of which the IM is currently the WM or with no collar if visiting other Lodges until our initial term in the East is completed by Installing our successor. At this point the apron is complemented by a collar and jewel which define us initially as the Immediate Past Master of the Lodge and then after a further year as just a Past Master.
In-ter-esting...

That makes sense.. but I was not sure, so I thought I would check if our Constitution says something on this (because I do not know)..... and there are other bodies and the GM who could regulate this... but I found
"399. The apron of a Master or Past Master shall be similar to that of a Master Mason, but without the three rosettes. In their place shall be placed three sets of perpendicular lines upon horizontal lines (thereby forming three sets each of two right angles)......"

"The apron of a Past Master".... does not mean Past Master's Apron.. but we certainly call them that...

Chris H

IMG_9252.jpeg
IMG_9254.jpeg
IMG_9255.jpeg
Ah! I thought I had returned my past, sorry, installed ;-) master’s to my lodge for reuse as is our custom when I got the dark blue ones, but I hadn’t. I found it looking rather sorry for itself (don’t worry, I’m pressing it under some books.) These are standard English ones. I always thought the perpendicular on a horizontal was a set square!

Bloke

Premium Member
View attachment 7114View attachment 7115View attachment 7116Ah! I thought I had returned my past, sorry, installed ;-) master’s to my lodge for reuse as is our custom when I got the dark blue ones, but I hadn’t. I found it looking rather sorry for itself (don’t worry, I’m pressing it under some books.) These are standard English ones. I always thought the perpendicular on a horizontal was a set square!
Making assumptions is always fraught with risk.. but I assume the Deacon Aprons are District GL of Essex in Dress and Undress regalia. Does the Dress and Undress have a correpsonding collar for each ? Do you own them or are the owned by the DGL ?

Chris H

Almost exactly right! I am currently a Past Provincial Senior Grand Deacon in the province of Essex, and yes, there are matching collars. UGLE has provinces in mainly England and Wales, and districts overseas. The collar jewel is actually fancier than the active PSGD’s, IMHO which is a plain bronze version. The blue bit of the jewel is a kind of guilloché translucent enamel, which is quite pretty. We do own the regalia as we have to buy it, but it is common to pass it to the lodge should a brother ascend to the GLA or become a member of UGLE itself (a grand officer, which is different regalia) so that they can be donated to another brother if they can’t afford one or both. I could, but our treasurer offered me the undress rig of our previous secretary, now in GLA. It used to belong to his father and grandfather, all three very distinguished brethren, so I was obviously delighted and honoured to accept. I think it must date from the 1940s, hence it looking a little scruffy. :) It was like picking up the sword of a fallen comrade.

This page has links to explain UGLE provinces and districts.

IMG_9256.jpeg

Last edited:

Chris H

Almost exactly right! I am currently a Past Provincial Senior Grand Deacon in the province of Essex, and yes, there are matching collars. UGLE has provinces in mainly England, and districts overseas. The collar jewel is actually fancier than the active PSGD’s, IMHO which is a plain bronze version. The blue bit of the jewel is a kind of guilloché translucent enamel, which is quite pretty. We do own them as we have to buy them, but it is common to pass them to the lodge should a brother ascend to the GLA or become a member of UGLE itself (a grand officer, which is different regalia) so that they can be donated to another brother if they can’t afford one or both. I could, but our treasurer offered me the undress rig of our previous secretary, now in GLA. It used to belong to his father and grandfather, all three very distinguished brethren, so I was obviously delighted and honoured to accept. I think it must date from the 1940s, hence it looking a little scruffy. :) It was like picking up the sword of a fallen comrade.

This page has links to explain UGLE provinces and districts.

View attachment 7117
The active / acting jewels do belong to the province though. Once you’ve had your time in office, it’s almost like they have bouncers there to relieve you of it before you can leave the building after the PGL meeting! The Essex ones don’t look golden like this London one. I’m guessing, but I think this could be because they are quite old and may have lost their gilding, if they ever had any
IMG_9257.png

Last edited: