My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recognition between Grand Chapters

YHWH

I belong to the York Rite and a GL recognized by the UGLE.
As an RA Companion, can I attend the works of an English RA Chapter?

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
I belong to the York Rite and a GL recognized by the UGLE.
As an RA Companion, can I attend the works of an English RA Chapter?
We do not have the "York Rite" system in England and our Supreme Grand Chapter (SGC) does not recognise other SGCs in its own right. The way it works is if the SGC that your Chapter operates under is approved by the Grand Lodge you are a member of that counts as recognised.

Obviously the way that you check is to contact the Grand Scribe E of your own SGC and he will be able to confirm the fact and write you a letter of introduction.

Bloke

Premium Member
I saw the Original Post and Bro Glen's reply and moved on.

In all matters recognition, you need to check with your peak Body first, then the peak Body you wish to visit. Not the other way around. I would get it in writing for anything which might seem "unusual". (Especially noting you are from GOI and you are talking about Chapter.. ).

A classic example in the Craft is Le Droit Humain, the Co-Masonic Order. Le Droit Humain will tell me I can visit. My Craft GL will says I cannot. To keep in Good Standing, I need to follow my Peak Body's (UGLV) direction. You need agreement on both sides of this visiting equation.... If by chance you are in a "Regular and Recognnised " Chapter Body, please do consider your fellow Brethren, their Craft GL may not be in Amity with your Craft Grand Orient.

YHWH

GOI and UGLE recognise each other, and I obtained the Good Standing after contact between GOI and UGLE.
My Grand Chapter (YR) is obviously in contact with English GC to get similar Good Standing.

... and i'm brushing up on the english language ..., :)

As an example:
Can a Brother belonging to the GL of NY, Companion of the GC of NY (under York Rite) participate to the Works of an English RA Chapter?

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
The first and second sentence really don’t help much.

If you leave out the words York Rite, the question is clearer, as York Rite is not an obedience or a jurisdiction and nothing is under it. It is a description of a relationship between three different bodies. Irregular bodies have York Rite as well.

Companions of the G Chapter of NY may visit chapters under the Supreme Grand Chapter of England (assuming all the formalities are met).

YHWH

Ok,
That's what I was trying to understand, and the NY example is similar to my case.
The NY GC works within the York Rite, as does the Italian one connected to the GOI.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Ok,
That's what I was trying to understand, and the NY example is similar to my case.
The NY GC works within the York Rite, as does the Italian one connected to the GOI.
The question is whether your grand chapter is in amity with SGC of England. Saying York Rite does not get us to an answer.

I will leave it there.

YHWH

The question comes from a perspective you may not know:
SGC in England recognizes the GCs of the WGs with which it maintains relations of mutual recognition.
The GOI has a non-independent GC, like SGC of England, but has one in the context of the YR, which is part of the General GC

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
The question comes from a perspective you may not know:
SGC in England recognizes the GCs of the WGs with which it maintains relations of mutual recognition.
The GOI has a non-independent GC, like SGC of England, but has one in the context of the YR, which is part of the General GC
As you bring up a new matter, allow me to delay my departure.

Actually, I am aware of the two, as one who consults on such in that country (and others).

You stated that your GC is not part of GOI, so GOI is irrelevant to the matter.

Having been founded by General Grand Chapter does not mean a grand chapter is in amity with Supreme Grand Chapter of England. The question is whether your grand chapter is in amity with SGC of England. Saying York Rite does not get us there.

Really, just ignore this York Rite label.