My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Straight,Safety, Or Disposable Razor

What type of Razor do you use.

• Total voters

Companion Joe

Premium Member
What is a good DE set and where do you shop? I've been thinking about venturing into the DE realm because I'm tired of shelling out for cartridges. Shaving isn't important to me, it's a general (figurative) pain. The only reason I shave is because I don't want a beard. I don't have any irritation issues with cartridges, outside of the billfold that is. I also like the thought of going old school on the shave.

Also, does shaving with a DE and brush take much longer than modern razors and a can of cream? Again, while the general idea of DE is appealing, I hate fooling with shaving on a daily basis, so I don't want to prolong my morning routine. *

(*The best part about being a teacher is I shave about once a week in the summer!)

Bro. Brad Marrs

Premium Member
Since you're just getting started, here's my advice.

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Brush: Tweezerman
Blades: A sampler kit
Soap/Cream: Proraso
Pre-shave: Proraso
Post-shave: Thayer's witch hazel and an aftershave balm or splash

Westcoastshaving.com has them all. I really like their blade samplers. Everyone is different, so you need to practice and try many different blades to find which one is best for you.

As you get more experience, your technique will improve, so try your sample blades again after a few months.

Advice: no pressure, good pre-shave prep, and good lather.

Search youtube for videos from mantic59 for technique. Also, Reddit has a good sub at /r/wickededge, with great advice for DE and straight.

Good luck! Once you're comfortable, invest in a good badger brush, and soaps/creams. I regularly use a 1947 Gillette Super Speed and a Merkur Slant. My go to cream is Taylor of Ild Bond Street Avocado. I use Bic, Red Personna, and Merkur Platinum blades; your mileage may vary--try the samplers.

Practice lathering, it's important.

Fraternally,
Brad Marrs
WM, The Colony No. 1451

Freemason Connect Premium App

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Thanks.
I'm curious about some of the steps involved shaving this way. I certainly don't want to turn what I already consider a distasteful waste of time into a time consuming ritual (my shave prep is to get out of the shower and shave, which takes 2 minutes tops), and I don't want to get tied up buying all kinds of products to pull it off. Saving money by no longer buying expensive cartridges is my whole purpose for considering the move. I already use Barbasol or Colgate shaving cream, whichever is the cheapest whenever I am out. I don't use any kind of aftershave because shaving doesn't irritate my face.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
I bought a decent (it seems) set at Wal-Mart today. It's made by Van Der Hagen. Although I prefer not to buy Chinese products, and I know a good German-made razor should be better, I figured this would be a good set to see if I like it. I got a razor, blades, mug, soap, brush, and stand for under $50, just a little more than a pack of cartridges.

I'll see how it works out. My first shave did a reasonable enough job, but it is going to take some getting used to. The short, stubby handle caused my fingers to cramp. That will be just a matter of re-training the muscles to do something differently than what they've done the last 25 years. I'm not sure about the time involved. It sure takes longer shaving a DE razor. I was doing some reading on a web site, and one guy mentioned taking 25 minutes to shave. That's ridiculous.

admarcus1

I already use Barbasol or Colgate shaving cream, whichever is the cheapest whenever I am out. I don't use any kind of aftershave because shaving doesn't irritate my face.

I switched to DE 2 years ago. It takes just a bit longer, but I like it better than cartridge. Particularly if I haven't shaved for a couple of days. With more than one day of growth on my face, I feel like the cartridges pull. The DE will cut it smoothly.

Ill still use cartridge when I travel, but I can never go back to canned shaving cream. I use Taylor's or Poraso. Compared to those, canned just feels dry. Using a brush with cream lubricates the face so much better, and you can control the consistency to your personal taste.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Back when I was required to shave, I always used a cup-n-brush, even though I was only using a cartridge blade. Much nicer lather, the bristles got all the hairs up, and it added a moment of pleasure to an otherwise tedious chore.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
I guess I have shaved with the new setup three times now. Each time gets easier and gives a better shave. I'm liking it pretty well. I agree with the mug and brush adding a nice touch. The brush on the face is feels pretty good, and the later smells nice!

Morris

Premium Member
I ordered a Merkur safety razor and the setup. I usually use a throw away on Mondays band electric the rest of the week.

otherstar

I ordered a Merkur safety razor and the setup. I usually use a throw away on Mondays band electric the rest of the week.

You cannot go wrong with a Merkur razor (I have three of them...lol). Stay away from the Merkur blades, but the razors are top notch.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
OK, I've been using the new (old style) setup for a couple of weeks, and it is going pretty well. In an earlier post, I described shaving as a distasteful waste of time. I'm actually kind of getting into it. Yes, it takes a little longer now, but the whole experience is kinda nice. I actually broke down and bought a bottle of Clubman aftershave ... I never use aftershave .. so I am embracing the whole experience.

Morris

Premium Member
[Q UOTE="Companion Joe, post: 132825, member: 14089"]OK, I've been using the new (old style) setup for a couple of weeks, and it is going pretty well. In an earlier post, I described shaving as a distasteful waste of time. I'm actually kind of getting into it. Yes, it takes a little longer now, but the whole experience is kinda nice. I actually broke down and bought a bottle of Clubman aftershave ... I never use aftershave .. so I am embracing the whole experience.[/QUOTE]

on day two and it's definitely an adjustment. I'm hanging in there though.

Jeff

Companion Joe

Premium Member
My new shaving routine has been going on for a couple of months now. I really like it. I posted earlier that I found shaving to be a distasteful chore, but since joining the world of brushes and double edge safety razors, I find that I actually enjoy shaving each day. I can almost relate the ritual of it to Masonry in the sense that you are doing something the same way men did 100 years ago.

Since my introduction, my wife bought me a Edwin Jagger DE89L for my birthday, and it truly is a Cadillac.

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
Here lately, I've been using an old star DE that I found in my grandfather old stuff. I use feather blades and real lye soap for a lather. Works well for me....

Levelhead

Premium Member
My back up profession is a barber. So im good with a straight razor.

I dry shave with a straight razor, i got a plastic one that takes disposable blades.

Btw unless your REALLY good at it Do not do it dry! I do because im really good at it.

Morris

Premium Member
Here lately, I've been using an old star DE that I found in my grandfather old stuff. I use feather blades and real lye soap for a lather. Works well for me....
I was looking at buying some feather blades. The ones I use right now I have to shave twice

otherstar

Blade selection for a DE is such an individual thing :) I tried Feather's once, and while one blade lasted me quite some time, it also tore my face up because they are so sharp. I prefer Astra SP or Shark blades.

Morris

Premium Member
Used proraso soap today for the first time. Wow what a difference!
ImageUploadedByMy Freemasonry1414015002.302631.jpg