My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strongly Discouraged...

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Brethren,

I come before all of you in a personal rant. I recently found out that our beloved AASR is raising the cost for new Brothers to join the goup. From what I have been told that the cost for initiation & dues is being raised from $250 to $500 (each)!!

As most of you know, I am very active in my home Lodge as well as the York Rite. I had originally intended to go through the AASR once I finished my year in the East at Thomas B. Hunter. However due to this recent change, it appears that I will never see the other side of the "pyramid" in freemasonry. I can not, nor will I ever be able to afford this venture. Gentlemen, I ENDOWED in both my Lodges as well as my YR Chapter & Council for $500!!

Out of humor, the members of the Grand Prairie AASR jokingly suggest that I join before the end of the year... My reasoning for waiting is in both time and money, therefore not a viable option. Sorry. Of course the positive side of me believes that this cost increase is going to do nothing but increase the membership and involvement in York Rite!

Fraternally,
Dedicated Permanently to York Rite Masonry

Last edited:

Tony Uzzell

I've found that, dues and price increases aside, most Masons will find the money (and the time, for that matter) to be active in those things that they find value in.

For example, I find value in activity. I get bored with organizations where there's nothing for me to do. As much as I've enjoyed the symbolism and the esotericism in the Scottish Rite, but the meetings I've attended have generally been dull outside of the fellowship and conversations I've had. That's nothing against the Scottish Rite, it's just the nature of the organization. That is, in the AASR's defense, why Waco, and a lot of other Scottish Rite groups, have worked to find a way to make their meetings more involved for the general membership. In all honesty, I've been working to find a way to get back into the Scottish Rite and hopefully I'll be more active toward the end of this year and the beginning of the next.

That is also, however, why I got involved and active with the York Rite when I first joined here in Waco. They put me immediately to work and into the Chairs and I stayed involved, hence the list of titles in my signature.

TU

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
I've found that, dues and price increases aside, most Masons will find the money (and the time, for that matter) to be active in those things that they find value in.

For example, I find value in activity. I get bored with organizations where there's nothing for me to do. As much as I've enjoyed the symbolism and the esotericism in the Scottish Rite, but the meetings I've attended have generally been dull outside of the fellowship and conversations I've had. That's nothing against the Scottish Rite, it's just the nature of the organization. That is, in the AASR's defense, why Waco, and a lot of other Scottish Rite groups, have worked to find a way to make their meetings more involved for the general membership. In all honesty, I've been working to find a way to get back into the Scottish Rite and hopefully I'll be more active toward the end of this year and the beginning of the next.

That is also, however, why I got involved and active with the York Rite when I first joined here in Waco. They put me immediately to work and into the Chairs and I stayed involved, hence the list of titles in my signature.

TU

Well said.

Bro. Kurt P.M.

2018 14G DCO
Premium Member
Brother Stewart, the $500 is for initiation which includes a list of items.
Your Cap
14th degree ring ( in a plastic pyramid )
Dues for the year
Morals and Dogma ( book)
A bridge go light ( book)
Lapel Pin
And a few other items.
The Scottish Rite actually lost money in the past. I'm sure this is part of the reason for the increase.

Just sayin

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
Bro. Stewart, I definitely feel your pain. I endowed in both my blue lodges, my Scottish Rite Valley, and my York Rite (including one of my Commanderies), yet I still support each with an additional check each year to cover per capita + a bit extra.

I've been approached by other bodies about joining and in addition to the time and committment, cost is becoming a big factor, even for those of us who are endowed members. It definitely takes some soul searching when it comes to matching time to masonic body and also to $$.

For me it became easier as I progressed in the York Rite and I discovered my passion for the work and the relationship to the first three degrees. Ultimately we have to choose our path and the one that is the "rite fit" (pardon the pun, couldn't resist). I wish you luck as you work through your decisions and journey; any masonic body that finds you laboring in their quarry is a lucky body indeed...

Hum, managed to use a lot of words and really didn't say much - other than there are brothers that understand and empathize with you!

BroBill

tomasball

Premium Member
along with SR initiation also comes membership in the Master Craftsman program, which is a bargain at any price.

JustinScott

Premium Member
Brethren,

I come before all of you in a personal rant. I recently found out that our beloved AASR is raising the cost for new Brothers to join the goup. From what I have been told that the cost for initiation & dues is being raised from $250 to $500 (each)!!

As most of you know, I am very active in my home Lodge as well as the York Rite. I had originally intended to go through the AASR once I finished my year in the East at Thomas B. Hunter. However due to this recent change, it appears that I will never see the other side of the "pyramid" in freemasonry. I can not, nor will I ever be able to afford this venture. Gentlemen, I ENDOWED in both my Lodges as well as my YR Chapter & Council for $500!!

Out of humor, the members of the Grand Prairie AASR jokingly suggest that I join before the end of the year... My reasoning for waiting is in both time and money, therefore not a viable option. Sorry. Of course the positive side of me believes that this cost increase is going to do nothing but increase the membership and involvement in York Rite!

Fraternally,
Dedicated Permanently to York Rite Masonry

A perpetual membership at my lodge cost 200 dollars down and a total off 1400 dollars and is increasing too 2400 dollars total I feel your pain. How come yours is less expensive?

Hndrx

Premium Member
I joined the Scottish Rite at the last reunion. I went ahead and did an endowment. (I'm glad from my own personal standpoint that I went ahead and did that.) Had the dues increase occurred before my reunion, I would have reconsidered doing it. I would have most likely went with a different Masonic group.

Ashlar

I went through the SR years ago before they raised the fees . Honestly I found no value in the SR that I could not do on my own . I could not continue paying dues to a body that I can not be active in . It is over 150 miles (one way ) from my home to my Valley's Temple . Between my time and cost of fuel , it is just not worth it . If they were to raise their petition fee / dues / degree fees to $500 , I just do not see it worth it for anyone in my area to join the SR .

We have another Valley somewhat closer , around 110 miles (one way) away , but they never travel to our area to hold reunions . And 110 miles is still to far to be active .

We do have a SR Club , but it is not worth my time and gas to get out for nothing more than listening to them talk about how many petitions they need .

I was "strongly discouraged" shortly after my reunion and it had nothing to do with money , but that they had nothing to offer me that I could not do on my own because , as I stated above , was over lack of being able to be active . I knew after the newness wore off that I would be demitting and regretted spending the money that could have went to something else .

Last edited:

MarkR

Premium Member
I know that you are also right Bro. Kurt. Things often change for a reason. I just can not justify such a cost for dues in a masonic body that I have no intention to become active in...
I have to question why anybody would join a Masonic body that they have no intention of becoming active in, regardless of cost. Just to have another dues card in your wallet?

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
No, I wanted to see what the AASR had to offer for the good of masonry. I am curious as to the variance in lessons on the "other side" of the pyramid. I by no means am in for a dues card hunt.

Ashlar

I have to question why anybody would join a Masonic body that they have no intention of becoming active in, regardless of cost. Just to have another dues card in your wallet?

You would be surprised by the answer to that question . A very VERY small percentage of Masons in my area are active in the SR . There are no active members in my two lodges , none are willing to drive the distance . We have the YR right here in our backyard . Dues are about the same in both bodies , yet the petition and degree fees are cheaper in my YR bodies . BUT the SR is by far more popular . Why ? I know the reason and would love to see if anyone here can take a guess to that answer ?

Last edited:

dreamer

You would be surprised by the answer to that question . A very VERY small percentage of Masons in my area are active in the SR . There are no active members in my two lodges , none are willing to drive the distance . We have the YR right here in our backyard . Dues are about the same in both bodies , yet the petition and degree fees are cheaper in my YR bodies . BUT the SR is by far more popular . Why ? I know the reason and would love to see if anyone here can take a guess to that answer ?

My guess might be way off, but I think a Brother is a 32 degree sounds impressive and looks look at the end of a signature.

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
I had to join both SR and YR to see which was right for me. I became very active in York Rite and not so much in the Scottish Rite. I joined SR first and endowed before I joined the York Rite. Once I took the first Chapter degree I knew I would spend a lot of time in York Rite labors.

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
Scottish Rite fees here in Arkansas are $150 for initiation and the first year's dues. I have not petitioned yet, but probably will do so next spring or fall, if my cable tow permits. Like Bro. Stewart, I did join the York Rite, and have really liked about every bit of time I've put into that... definitely hooked on the York.

As for why the SR is so popular, it's those 32nd and 33rd degree guys who get into all the movies and conspiracy plots, and attract all the hot chicks. Plus, in many case in York Rite you work thru yuor degrees one by one, like the blue lodge with no proficiency lecture... whereas in the SR you spend a day and a half or so in the Reunion and come out the end as as 32nd. Easier that way if the Shrine is (was) one of your goals...

Nate Riley

Premium Member
I know that you are also right Bro. Kurt. Things often change for a reason. I just can not justify such a cost for dues in a masonic body that I have no intention to become active in...

Photo of me Capped

I was seriously hoping this was a photo of you in a fez!!! I don't see why you are so worried about the Scottish Rite, you're already a Shriner!:17::beer2:

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
For my Scottish Rite Valley the charge is $175 for the degrees, loot, and first years dues. I enjoy going to the reunions each Spring and Fall and seeing the degrees. I work at each reunion so I am not just sitting in a chair watching it all take place. I am also on a degree team for two of the degrees. If you want to take them time to dig into to each degree there is a lot there to learned. It is a 4 hour drive to get to the Temple but it is 4 hours of some of the Brothers from my Lodge to have a nice long conversation about life and Masonry. Like anything else in Masonry you will get out of it what you put into it. If it is something that means anything to you the work and learning process isn't a chore, but a pleasure.