My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swedish Rite

Elexir

What do you mean? A member of a local or grand lodge of the country? A Masonic passport wouldn't work?

You have to belong to a grand lodge/body that our GL are in agrement with regarding visitation and wich degrees translates between each other etc.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
The Swedish rite is progressive, after the III degree we are meant to progress to the IV-V and so forth until we get the X degree.
Interesting!
I always wanted to be a member of Christian order as I am a Christian. To join KT's I had to go to othetr country as we have only Scottish Rite in Poland
I'm lucky enought that there are two KT Commanderys in my city.
I don't know how it looks in case of American KTs, but in Europe to be a knight you have to profess Faith in 'undivided Holy Trinity' and that excludes even nontrinitarian Christians...
I can only speak of how it is here in the state of Kentucky. We have to promise to defend the Christian faith.
However, we don't look at religion at all, and anyone from any faith can join and will not be limited by it.
In the Blue Lodge it is the same way here.
BTW English, Scottish and Irish Scottish Rite are Christian, too.
Here the AASR is open to those of all faiths.

LeoValMer05

An answer was given, but I would just note that GLs are recognised, not individual Lodges.

What is a Masonic passport?

The masonic passport is like a way to show that you're a Freemason, making it more accessible for you to visit foreign masonic lodges. Only masons can apply for it. However, not every lodge accepts them as they can be faked, and also bought online.

Also, the reason I ask for specificity is because I see some lodges do recognize local lodges, while others require the Grand Lodge. Even some difference between the Rites can exist. For instance, Master Masons can only access the York Rite's work. Meanwhile, in the Scottish Rite, any mason, regardless of the degree, can participate in the lodge's work, unless they move their work to higher degrees (Second and Third Degree). Since I literally have never heard of the Swedish Rite until today, I ask for further information. I mean, imaging (hypothetically) that the Swedish Rite only allows master masons that are in 32 degree Scottish rite, or a Templar Knight York rite?

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
The masonic passport is like a way to show that you're a Freemason, making it more accessible for you to visit foreign masonic lodges. Only masons can apply for it. However, not every lodge accepts them as they can be faked, and also bought online.

Also, the reason I ask for specificity is because I see some lodges do recognize local lodges, while others require the Grand Lodge. Even some difference between the Rites can exist. For instance, Master Masons can only access the York Rite's work. Meanwhile, in the Scottish Rite, any mason, regardless of the degree, can participate in the lodge's work, unless they move their work to higher degrees (Second and Third Degree). Since I literally have never heard of the Swedish Rite until today, I ask for further information. I mean, imaging (hypothetically) that the Swedish Rite only allows master masons that are in 32 degree Scottish rite, or a Templar Knight York rite?
Lodges don’t engage in recognition.
Only MM can participate in AASR.
May I ask your jurisdiction?

LeoValMer05

Lodges don’t engage in recognition.
Only MM can participate in AASR.
May I ask your jurisdiction?

Recognition of lodges help to know if the person is a mason.
Also, I was two years very active in my lodge, and I am certainly that they allow apprentices if they work with the liturgy of the first degree. The only way they aren't allowed is if the Venerable Master decides to move forward to the second or third degree.
My jurisdiction is Gran Logia Soberana de Libres y Aceptados Masones of Puerto Rico, which has a somewhat connection with the Southern Jurisdiction of the USA. I say somewhat because Puerto Rico, while part of the USA, is not a state.

LeoValMer05

Ahh. That is not a recognised grand lodge. It has no connection with AASR-SJ, even though it is part of the United States.

That is incorrect. We do answer to the Southern Jurisdiction. The reason we are somewhat is because Puerto Rico and the USA is trying to evade what happened with the Grand Lodge of Cuba and Spain, which was an intense inner conflict that even Albert Pike had to interfere. However, it is a fully recognized Grand Lodge. You can even find the lodge in the AASR-SJ webpage: http://www.freemasonnetwork.org/grand-lodge-directory

We also have a Shriners order, which is where the AASR-SJ do also their work: https://scottishrite.org/ritecare-center/scottish-rite-clinic-for-childhood-language-disorders-6/

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
That is incorrect. We do answer to the Southern Jurisdiction. The reason we are somewhat is because Puerto Rico and the USA is trying to evade what happened with the Grand Lodge of Cuba and Spain, which was an intense inner conflict that even Albert Pike had to interfere. However, it is a fully recognized Grand Lodge. You can even find the lodge in the AASR-SJ webpage: http://www.freemasonnetwork.org/grand-lodge-directory

We also have a Shriners order, which is where the AASR-SJ do also their work: https://scottishrite.org/ritecare-center/scottish-rite-clinic-for-childhood-language-disorders-6/
PR does have Shrine, but AASR-SJ does not do their work with the Shrine. AASR-SJ is separate from a grand lodge. It does not govern any GL. Really. You are quite confused on this point.

dfreybur

Premium Member

To identify yourself there's either a dues card or a certificate of current status. In reality those are two different terms for the same thing, a form printed by your jurisdiction (for recognition purposes) signed by your secretary (for current status purposes).

The passport, for those that use them at all, is to maintain a record of your Masonic visitations as a souvenir.

If your jurisdiction treats your passport as an official document, that's not a good sign. If your jurisdiction uses the word passport for its certificate of good standing, that's merely strange terminology.

I tried to look up Puerto Rico through the United Grand Lodge of England -

http://www.ugle.org.uk/about/foreign-grand-lodges

The listed jurisdiction http://www.granlogiasoberanadepr.org/ seems to have lost its web page. It's name matches the name you gave so your jurisdiction is the regular and recognized one. You'll be able to visit.

Elexir

All MMs that belong to foreign GLs that we are in amity with can visit a lodge of St John (craft), for visitation in the higher degrees there is an table wich says wich degree you can visit.

I tried to look up Puerto Rico through the United Grand Lodge of England -

http://www.ugle.org.uk/about/foreign-grand-lodges

The listed jurisdiction http://www.granlogiasoberanadepr.org/ seems to have lost its web page. It's name matches the name you gave so your jurisdiction is the regular and recognized one. You'll be able to visit.

That is not by any means automatic.
Our amity list is smaller then UGLEs.

LeoValMer05

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
The passport, for those that use them at all, is to maintain a record of your Masonic visitations as a souvenir.
That's exactly the way that they are used in my jurisdiction.
If your jurisdiction treats your passport as an official document, that's not a good sign.
This struck me as odd also but, being relatively new to Masonry, I thought that maybe this is the way it is in some jurisdictions.

Bloke

Premium Member
...The passport, for those that use them at all, is to maintain a record of your Masonic visitations as a souvenir..If your jurisdiction treats your passport as an official document, that's not a good sign. If your jurisdiction uses the word passport for its certificate of good standing, that's merely strange terminology..

I would generally agree, however United Grand Lodge Victoria does have an official Masonic Passport. It's purpose is not really for international visiting, but to record your degrees, and completion of prerequisite Education Modules before advancement in each Degree.

The chain of progression through the three degrees here is;
Initiation (immediately following which the Masonic Passport should be presented).
Masonic Advancement Program 1 (known as MAP1) - and educational presentation with Q&A attended following a degree.
Fellow Craft Degree
MAP 2
Master Mason Degree
MAP 3
Presentation of Master Mason's Certificate.

These are recorded in a "Masonic Passport" which is held by the Brother and presented at Initiation. It is then signed by the WM and Sec for each Degree, and an official Grand Lodge MAP presenter. We do not have dues cards here, so if they are presented within the financial year when last signed, they can be used as an indication of being financial, but once you have your MM Certificate, they really just become a momento and I would test any brother presenting one at all stages of his career. The intent of the Passport is to show you have completed the Degree and the corresponding MAP before being advanced - that is a Constitutional Requirement here.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I would generally agree, however United Grand Lodge Victoria does have an official Masonic Passport. It's purpose is not really for international visiting, but to record your degrees, and completion of prerequisite Education Modules before advancement in each Degree.

The chain of progression through the three degrees here is;
Initiation (immediately following which the Masonic Passport should be presented).
Masonic Advancement Program 1 (known as MAP1) - and educational presentation with Q&A attended following a degree.
Fellow Craft Degree
MAP 2
Master Mason Degree
MAP 3
Presentation of Master Mason's Certificate.

These are recorded in a "Masonic Passport" which is held by the Brother and presented at Initiation. It is then signed by the WM and Sec for each Degree, and an official Grand Lodge MAP presenter. We do not have dues cards here, so if they are presented within the financial year when last signed, they can be used as an indication of being financial, but once you have your MM Certificate, they really just become a momento and I would test any brother presenting one at all stages of his career. The intent of the Passport is to show you have completed the Degree and the corresponding MAP before being advanced - that is a Constitutional Requirement here.

I am familiar with that through the Scottish Rite. In my jurisdictions the lodge maintains a record of the first three degrees, but the valley hands each Brother his own record of degrees 4 through 32.

I originally thought the reasons for that is some of the degrees are mandatory to witness in full so they get marked in the passport before it is issued to the new SR member. The optional degrees are "communicated" or described rather than presented on stage. Many Brothers travel to various valleys to see the optional degrees. I've taken my wife out of town for weekends to be able to see one degree then go out sight seeing with her.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
I see that several of the SweR Masons here have discussed their degrees and also hoping to proceed to higher degrees. What kinds of timeframes and requirements are there to advance within the Swedish Rite?

hfmm97

Premium Member
According to Wikipedia the 10th degree average time to receive it is 21 years assuming you are active

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

hfmm97

Premium Member
The Masonic Roundtable on Youtube also has an episode dedicated to the Swedish Rite-looks expensive (need formal wear and swords/aprons for each degree

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry