My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking I picked the WRONG Lodge!? :(

JFS61

Premium Member
I'm not finding an "Edit" button to the right of the Date/Time stamp, just "Report and "Bookmark."

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
I'm sorry to hear about this experience. Coachn said it right, finish the progression and find a Lodge that fits; maybe after progression you find that you fit in. Sometimes it can take time, but only you can decide this.

He may have just been crass in making the holiday statement, but I wasn't there so I can't say. That sucks though on the birthday; that is disheartening. I try to make Lodge educational and interesting, and at least with my officers I have an active interest. And everything we do we invite our new members to join in on; Lodge visitations, BBQs, etc. For my SW's birthday a bunch of us are going to his father's property for the weekend, and my SD and I both turn 30 this year so we're having a combined party.

Willys

Premium Member
As I read responses to your post I kept agreeing that you should finish the work. Another Lodge typically wouldn't have been in favor of taking a candidate for the degrees from another Lodge. Reason, you can start with the paper work involved.

One can't know what a Lodge is going to be like - what to expect - unless you have other social exposure to its membership. But if you take just a belief in Diety, you're there for a reason.

I was fortunate in my Lodge selection. It was originally a small town Lodge though the area was slowly being swallowed by Houston's growth. The membership had plenty of well educated brothers mixed with some good ol country boys who got their hands dirty for work. And there was a 'new' Lodge that met in our building with guys who worked in the same industry as I and probably would have been a good match 'professionally'. The attire difference between the two lodges, while not extreme was obvious. I preferred my Lodge. It's was just a chance that the Lodge I petitioned was the Lodge meeting the night I opened the door.

After my degrees I had a Brother who was well versed in 'all things secret' and who took me under his wing to teach me all those 'secrets'. In the process he took me to at least a dozen different Lodges in south east Texas. Some very country, one the Texas lodge deemed #1. That would be country men in khakis and work shirts to corporate executives in fine suits. None conferred a better degree than my Lodge in our jeans and boots, and paneled walls. The degree quality largely thanks to my aforementioned mentor.

Oh yeah, and some of those country khaki guys might have owned half the county. There's more mystery to Masonry than being shown the light. The rest of your life will be finding the light in the darkness and most of that won't be in a Lodge building. But once you have those degrees you'll be ready to get to work.

Hang in there

Radical540

As I read responses to your post I kept agreeing that you should finish the work. Another Lodge typically wouldn't have been in favor of taking a candidate for the degrees from another Lodge. Reason, you can start with the paper work involved.

One can't know what a Lodge is going to be like - what to expect - unless you have other social exposure to its membership. But if you take just a belief in Diety, you're there for a reason.

I was fortunate in my Lodge selection. It was originally a small town Lodge though the area was slowly being swallowed by Houston's growth. The membership had plenty of well educated brothers mixed with some good ol country boys who got their hands dirty for work. And there was a 'new' Lodge that met in our building with guys who worked in the same industry as I and probably would have been a good match 'professionally'. The attire difference between the two lodges, while not extreme was obvious. I preferred my Lodge. It's was just a chance that the Lodge I petitioned was the Lodge meeting the night I opened the door.

After my degrees I had a Brother who was well versed in 'all things secret' and who took me under his wing to teach me all those 'secrets'. In the process he took me to at least a dozen different Lodges in south east Texas. Some very country, one the Texas lodge deemed #1. That would be country men in khakis and work shirts to corporate executives in fine suits. None conferred a better degree than my Lodge in our jeans and boots, and paneled walls. The degree quality largely thanks to my aforementioned mentor.

Oh yeah, and some of those country khaki guys might have owned half the county. There's more mystery to Masonry than being shown the light. The rest of your life will be finding the light in the darkness and most of that won't be in a Lodge building. But once you have those degrees you'll be ready to get to work.

Hang in there
Well written...very introspective. Thanks for the feedback!

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I was greeted warmly and made to feel at home at the first lodge that I visited, the one I am now a member of.