My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are your opinion on the widow sons club ?

protectingthewestgate

I live in Southern Illinois, before my stroke 2 years ago, we visited a handful of lodges for degree work.in my home lodge before I demited, we had an issue with members that was with the widow sons that would show up to degree work in full leather and chains. We finally had it and said if you want to show up, leave the leather at the door, after that they stopped showing up, a friend of mine does degree work in a couple lodges up north where this masonic bike gang shows up for degree work, but hit the bar across the street wearing the square and compass, then walking back to the lodge,now the district deputy was informed of this, and had nothing to say about it. 5 years ago the GLof ILLINOIS was to separate themselves from the widow sons, but never has. Our last 3 GM's turned the heads and looked the other way. What is your opinion about them showing up in full leather and a large s& compass on their back ?

MarkR

Premium Member
This is a very sensitive subject. I'm not a fan of the image that Widow's Sons groups portray. I'm a retired cop. They emulate biker gangs, while displaying the S&C. Rocker panel patches on the back of vests means "gang" to the public. I've had W.S. members tell me about three rockers vs. two rockers, riders' club vs. MC club, and all that. The public absolutely knows nothing about that. It all looks the same to them.

I've been at a major Masonic event, where Grand Lodge officers were in tuxedos, Grand Commandery in uniform, other Masonic groups dressed in coat and tie, and Widow's Sons were in t-shirts, leather vests, grease-stained jeans, and motorcycle boots.

I've ventured into this discussion before, and it got ugly. I'm sure I'll regret venturing into it again.

JanneProeliator

I am a part of Widows sons MRA and in my opinion WS is a great organisation. At least here in Finland.
On the other hand I don't think anyone should attend lodge wearing letter vests or t-shirts regardless of affiliation to anything.
In Finland we wear tuxedo or black suit to any formal meeting. I do understand and accept that black suit or tux might be too much for someone but i could never see my self wear anything but at least some suit in lodge. I think lodge is respectable place and that I should dress respectfully. (Outside lodge I wear hoodies and collage pants or jeans)

brrick

Thanks for the reply. I just recently started riding with our local WS riders group. I know several of them from local lodges and have not seen any untoward behavior.

Winter

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. I just recently started riding with our local WS riders group. I know several of them from local lodges and have not seen any untoward behavior.
Do a search of this and other Masonic forums and you will find more than a few discussions for and against the Widow's Sons.

Andre van der Lans

I live in Southern Illinois, before my stroke 2 years ago, we visited a handful of lodges for degree work.in my home lodge before I demited, we had an issue with members that was with the widow sons that would show up to degree work in full leather and chains. We finally had it and said if you want to show up, leave the leather at the door, after that they stopped showing up, a friend of mine does degree work in a couple lodges up north where this masonic bike gang shows up for degree work, but hit the bar across the street wearing the square and compass, then walking back to the lodge,now the district deputy was informed of this, and had nothing to say about it. 5 years ago the GLof ILLINOIS was to separate themselves from the widow sons, but never has. Our last 3 GM's turned the heads and looked the other way. What is your opinion about them showing up in full leather and a large s& compass on their back ?
What you described is a very difficult situation and looking away does not resolve the issue but by trying to have the biker Brothers to appear in black ty, might trigger more unrest as any one would appreciate.Bending the rules could be an option but many others will be unhappy with that. The solution for the bikers would be to separate and start their own Lodge with or without approval of the Grand Lodge.
This would never happen in any European lodge.
There is a deep respect for tradition and the ancient craft.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
“The solution for the bikers would be to separate and start their own Lodge with or without approval of the Grand Lodge.”

no, that is not the solution. Advising that some one violate their oblig is seldom the solution.

Thomas Stright

Premium Member
What is different about the Free Masons Riding club?
It's approved by the GLoTX for MM to join.
Just a Riding Club for Masons.

The Free Masons Riding Club is an association founded and designed specifically to introduce motorcycling Freemasons to one another. We are comprised entirely of Freemasons with a love for freedom that is only found on two wheels – in the wind. We find our best place working in our communities and supporting various causes and charities, especially while riding with our Brothers.

Ultimately, we are the same Freemasons that you have known throughout your life and all of history – a fun-loving Brotherhood of charity that is reflected in our works. We are dedicated to promoting good will in our local communities while promoting safe, fun and professional motorcycling.

We are not a gang or 1% club! As Freemasons, we strive to be upright and law abiding members of the community at all times. We are active in our Lodges, dedicated to supporting the Widows and Orphans of our Brethren, and are always mindful to present a good impression of Bikers to the public when riding together.

Seniorwardeninthewest

It's approved by the GLoTX for MM to join.
Just a Riding Club for Masons.

The Free Masons Riding Club is an association founded and designed specifically to introduce motorcycling Freemasons to one another. We are comprised entirely of Freemasons with a love for freedom that is only found on two wheels – in the wind. We find our best place working in our communities and supporting various causes and charities, especially while riding with our Brothers.

Ultimately, we are the same Freemasons that you have known throughout your life and all of history – a fun-loving Brotherhood of charity that is reflected in our works. We are dedicated to promoting good will in our local communities while promoting safe, fun and professional motorcycling.

We are not a gang or 1% club! As Freemasons, we strive to be upright and law abiding members of the community at all times. We are active in our Lodges, dedicated to supporting the Widows and Orphans of our Brethren, and are always mindful to present a good impression of Bikers to the public when riding together.
The question is, what do you think about ws wearing the square and compass in a bar, then walking across the street to perform degree work. Most bylaws forbid wearing our light in bars ,taverns and local pub. In which this act makes the Fraternity look bad.

Winter

Premium Member
The question is, what do you think about ws wearing the square and compass in a bar, then walking across the street to perform degree work. Most bylaws forbid wearing our light in bars ,taverns and local pub. In which this act makes the Fraternity look bad.
Sorry. While your statement may be accurate for your jurisdiction, it is incorrect for Freemasonry as a whole.. The US is pretty much the only place that bans alcohol in Lodges. You are very likely to have a drink before and after the stated meeting in most locations. Even my Lodge in Wisconsin has this. This teetotaling belief that Masons must not wear a square and compass in a drinking establishment is silliniess in the extreme. We're Freemasons, not Puritans.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I deal with the 62 GLs in the Conference of Grand Masters of NA and have presided over three international masonic bodies. In my experience, bylaws do not make that prohibition.

Do you really take off your masonic ring in a bar?

Could you quote the language from your bylaws, and identify the grand lodge? I’m quite sure it doesn’t say, “light.”

Now, I agree the symbols of Freemasonry should not be worn when it would bring discredit upon the fraternity. I do not drink alcohol because of my religious beliefs. Yet, I’m quite happy to go to bars and pubs and have my Diet Coke. That does not bring discredit upon the fraternity.

Mike Mendelson

All I know is that here in Maryland, they are a kind and courteous bunch who do fund-raising charity rides. When my elderly folks visited in June, there was a charity ride that stopped by our lodge and they loved my dad! Even let him sit on one of their (three wheeled) bikes. We have a few members in our blue lodge and they are always properly attired at meetings and formal functions.

MarkR

Premium Member
All I know is that here in Maryland, they are a kind and courteous bunch who do fund-raising charity rides. When my elderly folks visited in June, there was a charity ride that stopped by our lodge and they loved my dad! Even let him sit on one of their (three wheeled) bikes. We have a few members in our blue lodge and they are always properly attired at meetings and formal functions.
Nobody has said they're bad guys. It's the motorcycle gang image they display while identifying as Masons that a lot of us are uncomfortable with. You can be a motorcycle club without a black leather vest with rocker patches on the back.

Thomas Stright

Premium Member
As long as you conduct yourself according, it makes little difference where you wear your light.

Thomas Stright

Premium Member
Nobody has said they're bad guys. It's the motorcycle gang image they display while identifying as Masons that a lot of us are uncomfortable with. You can be a motorcycle club without a black leather vest with rocker patches on the back.

Now let's don't get too crazy.....:D