My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do y'all think ....

caeservi

when it comes to degree work, I think there should be some sort of formality. When bringing an EA to light, the first thing he sees shouldn't be the conferrer in a spongebob t-shirt

TexMass

My good friend and PM always wore tails with his tux and top hat on 3rd degree nights. He also wore his white vest and watch with fob. He wanted to make a lasting impression when the candidate becomes a MM. His ritual is always perfect. He is asked constantly to come to other lodges and do ritual for them. He has raised over 60 MM so far. He's a great guy. He was Squire Bently's (our newest member) SD a few years back.

L

lee c smith jr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moved from another post

In a recent post, it was also mentioned that they thought shorts were not a problem because it was the internal and not the external.... No argument with the latter. In my post previous to that I mentioned that a Mason should show respect to the fraternity and dress accordingly. A church going man does not dress like he's going to church everyday, only when he's going to church. This does not make him less moral on weekdays. He pays respect to the church and his religion of choice by dressing appropriatly when attending services. I see no difference for lodge meetings.

When I attended Waco Lodge, I had no slacks or suit. I wore my best jeans and a collard shirt and boots or dress casual shoes, no tennis shoes. I finally bought a golf shirt with the S&C embroidered on it and wore that often. I had to buy two suits when I began to visit my lodge up here and less than a year later I had to buy a tux. I feel like I'm showing respect to the Craft by my atire. Again, that's just me.

Nail on the head brother, nail on the head. My father-in-law bought a brick outside of Minute Maid Park the caption he chose is "Attitude is everything" I feel that our attire is a reflection of our attitude in Masonry when we are attending. But maybe this attire thing happened gradually. I mean, when a cop or a serviceman wears a hat with his uniform, it demands respect. When a dressup cowboy wears his hat inside to dance or eat or anything inside, I think it shows ignorance. What if the WM decided he looked silly in a hat and refused to wear one? I feel that the way we dress is as much a part of the symbology of the lodge as the Worshipful Masters Hat and the jewel around his neck.

Last edited by a moderator:

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Not I said the fly, I reserve Masonic charges for the worst of offenses and you could come in shirt off, one shoe and a leg cut off of your blue jeans and I would care not but then again I am the guy who comes right from tee-ball practise wearing shorts and t-shirt to floor school. I would be half an hour late otherwise and my thoughts are its better for me to be there than not.

Old Texan

Since I am new to this journey, I hope you will not be upset with for chiming in on this.
If I remember correctly, "it is the internal, not the external qualities, that makes a man a Mason
Being in a Texas lodge, I have come to find that we have members, from Farmers to business men. Most of the Brothers come dressed in starched jeans, starched shirts, and boots. The elders are usually dressed more comfortable. But I think this is a "Texas Thing". I work hard all day getting dirty and greasy. It is nice to dress up to go to the lodge. I would not go to church in shorts, tank top, and flipflops.
I don't think dressing in shorts, tank tops, and flip flops would be a proper dress. But thats just me.

A7V

I just noticed that no one has mentioned this, but I know personally, I can't afford a suit.

Some of these people that dress "down" or "casual" might wear a suit and maybe the financial standing, especially in today's economy doesn't allow them to afford a suit.

I know suits can be had for 100 dollars but that is a lot of money for clothes that will rarely get worn. Yes, once a month to a stated meeting is rare to me.

Also, the church thing has been brought up and since becoming a Christian, it is a belief that I hold deeply that it does not matter what you wear, but who you are or who you are trying to become, and the clothes in no such way "make the man", his actions and the way he carries himself "make him". If Jesus would eat with prostitutes and tax collectors, because he saw they needed the most help, you really think he would care how someone comes to worship.

I was in the Navy for 10 years and had to wear a uniform everyday, I think that is another thing that has influenced my attitude on this subject. I had sailors that couldn't pour piss from a boot but could make a uniform sharp, but yet my smartest sailors were only passable. Well in the Navy, that guy with the sharp uniform that couldn't perform his job got better ratings, than the person excellent at his job, but couldn't iron right. What is the sense in that?

Here is another thing, my entire arm left arm and most of my right arm is tattooed, if I wear a short sleeve polo, do I suddenly become worse in your eyes than if I wore a long sleeve collared shirt? You didn't know about those tattoos but now that you do, am I a different man? Will I disgrace the craft by showing my tattoo covered arms in a meeting?

sorry, but this really gets under my skin, I will end my rant and apologize if I upset anyone.

Last edited:

Robert Marshall

Secretary, Waco 92
Premium Member
A7V, I see no need for apologizing. I think this is an increasingly important issue that will need to be examined on a great level in Texas Masonry.

daopqc

To me it comes down to "its the enternal and not the external" , but there is also respect to the lodge, the brothern , and also the CRAFT.

tomasball

Premium Member
Let's stop and think about what internal vs. external really means, and to what extent it really applies to this question. My opinion is that you should dress as if you were attending a meeting opened in the Name of God. If a man has limited means but tries to appear well-groomed and neat, that to me reflects on his internal qualifications just like it would for a well-to-do man to show up looking like a slob.

A7V

My opinion is that you should dress as if you were attending a meeting opened in the Name of God.

Ok, but that means different things to different people. I go to an Episcopal Church, and I would say my church service is a "meeting" opened in the name of G-d. People wear shorts and t-shirts, flipflops, we even had a highschool girl show up in her softball uniform because she had a game right after service.
Our priest has no issue with this because he knows our intent and our well meaning on even coming to church.

I am sure that some peoples churchs we would be looked at funny and maybe even asked to leave if we showed up like that.

If Masonry is dying and people are not coming to lodge, why in the h*ll are you going to make it harder on them, or on my generation, who despises dressing up.

It would be sad to see the CRAFT die because people can't look past something as little as clothe.

tomasball

Premium Member
Hmm. Now, I'm not from anywhere near College Station, but I gather St. Alban's Lodge is pretty persnickity about their dress, and they seem to be crawling with college age guys who look forward to attending meetings that are presented as "something special." Anyone here who has insights on that?

A7V

Hmm. Now, I'm not from anywhere near College Station, but I gather St. Alban's Lodge is pretty persnickity about their dress, and they seem to be crawling with college age guys who look forward to attending meetings that are presented as "something special." Anyone here who has insights on that?

I think we should just agree to disagree.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
If Masonry is dying and people are not coming to lodge, why in the h*ll are you going to make it harder on them, or on my generation, who despises dressing up.

I grow tired when I hear how this is Texas yadda yadda. It can be done and it is done in many parts of the US, especially overseas. If you are short on time, simply bring your clothes to change in at Lodge. It was refreshing to attend the SR reunion as everyone who put it on was at least decked out in a coat and tie. I for one would love to see this:

g2582584aab016b98723211e8544699311c8a3e7898aacf.jpg

and not

mullet.jpg

A7V

I grow tired when I hear how this is Texas yadda yadda. It can be done and it is done in many parts of the US, especially overseas. If you are short on time, simply bring your clothes to change in at Lodge. It was refreshing to attend the SR reunion as everyone who put it on was at least decked out in a coat and tie. I for one would love to see this:

First of all, I haven't said anything about this being Texas. I am from a Hawaiian Lodge and it is fine to wear an Aloha shirt and Khaki pants to lodge, or a golf shirt. No need for a suit. What is so wrong with that?

Two issues with the pictures provided as reference.
That is a picture of officers in the lodge, even in Hawaiian Lodge while the members were casual the officers were still in suit and tie. I don't think your picture applies to this argument.

The second issue is that your second picture is a little bit to extreme on that scale, I think the argument here is against people wearing casual clothing like jeans and t-shirts, not showing up half naked. It just doesn't fit.

Here is a picture from Kendall Lodge in Boerne

WebEAs20070602.jpg

You seriously have an issue with how these Brothers are dressed? You would stop these two men from becoming EA's because of what they are wearing?

Last edited:

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
First off, if you had performed a search you will find that this topic has been beat to death over and over and over. Would I personaly prefer a coat and tie to jeans or shorts? Anyday.

Secondly the pictures were for humorous purposes of which you seem not to have :(

Lastly please don't be so presumptuous. I never commented on that photo so please don't put words into my mouth.

A7V

First off, if you had performed a search you will find that this topic has been beat to death over and over and over.

I wasn't the one who brought the topic back up today, and you are posting here as well. So, what if it has been beat to death over and over and over. Someone on your forum decided they wanted to bring it up again. Is that so bad?

If you really want me to shut up then fine I will, since we are never going to agree anyway.

R

RJS

Attachments

• munch.gif
    munch.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 375
Last edited by a moderator: