My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you like to see changed in the Masonic experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
Just from memory, I'll take a guess. Wasn't the GMA started in 1717, broken apart by a schism, and the two factions came back together decades later to form the UGLE?

cemab4y

Premium Member
Check out the URL, from Wikipedia, and check out the private response.

This thread is for discussions of what you would like to see changed/improved. Let's try to keep the postings "on point".

LAMason

Premium Member
Check out the URL, from Wikipedia, and check out the private response.

This thread is for discussions of what you would like to see changed/improved. Let's try to keep the postings "on point".

I was replying to your post, so you must have thought it was "on point" at the time you made your post. I am trying to find out if you are saying that the UGLE is also called the "Premiere Lodge".

There is no reason for you to reply by private response, there is nothing that I have to say that will not stand public scrutiny. Also, I do not need you to send me a link to a Wikipedia article, I researched this topic some time ago and used more authoritative sources than Wikipedia.

LAMason

Premium Member
Re: What would you like to see changed in the Maso

Any Grand Lodge officer who cannot cope with modern technology, needs to resign or be impeached.

Any Mason who has difficulty with the internet, needs to check with his local library or vocational school and learn about e-mail, etc.

If a Grand Lodge officer is unable to cope with 21st century technology, and gets "pushed out" of Freemasonry, then good. Masonry is better off without such men.

Do you really believe that?

Zack

cemab4y said: If a Grand Lodge officer is unable to cope with 21st century technology, and gets "pushed out" of Freemasonry, then good. Masonry is better off without such men.

That is the most ignorant statement I have ever read. I would say that your intolerance is far worse than a Brother's computer limitations.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Do you really believe that?

I stand on my statement. Like it or not, Masonry, and the world are in the "internet age". If a Grand officer is unable to understand this, then he is clearly behind the times, and there it is.

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
Any Grand Lodge officer who cannot cope with modern technology, needs to resign or be impeached.
I stand on my statement. Like it or not, Masonry, and the world are in the "internet age". If a Grand officer is unable to understand this, then he is clearly behind the times, and there it is.
If this is a bid to earn the respect of your peers you might want to rethink your strategy.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
But you were quoted as saying "Masonry is better off without such men." Surely you misspoke. Did you just mean they weren't qualified to be a GLO?

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I was replying to your post, so you must have thought it was "on point" at the time you made your post. I am trying to find out if you are saying that the UGLE is also called the "Premiere Lodge".

UGLE is sometimes referred to as the Premier "Grand" Lodge, but it is not a term with which I am comfortable.

cemab4y

Premium Member
If this is a bid to earn the respect of your peers you might want to rethink your strategy.

I gave up trying to earn respect a long time ago.

"Only a dead fish goes downstream all the time"

"You can always tell a pioneer, they have arrows in their backs" -author unknown

cemab4y

Premium Member
But you were quoted as saying "Masonry is better off without such men." Surely you misspoke. Did you just mean they weren't qualified to be a GLO?

Read into my statements, what you wish. Most people do, anyway. I mean exactly what I said. Masonry is better off without men in leadership, who cannot deal with the present state of technology.

JJones

Read into my statements, what you wish. Most people do, anyway. I mean exactly what I said. Masonry is better off without men in leadership, who cannot deal with the present state of technology.

Technology is so central to leadership because of what reason? If GL sees no value in technology how does it hurt anyone? They're still our brothers, regardless if they care about websites or know how to use an IPhone.

You're making broad brushstrokes on a very vague canvas here. I've been watching this thread for a few days now and it's been slowly devolving. Let's get back on topic, as others have said.

dalinkou

Premium Member
I was initiated in February 2012 and raised in June 2012, just under 6 months time. Looking back, I feel that I moved way too fast. I would like to see longer minimum time cycles between degrees to give new brothers time to learn lessons rather than just learn words.

crono782

Premium Member
I was initiated in February 2012 and raised in June 2012, just under 6 months time. Looking back, I feel that I moved way too fast. I would like to see longer minimum time cycles between degrees to give new brothers time to learn lessons rather than just learn words.
Similar to myself. Dec 2012 and Feb 2013 for me. I will tell Brothers that my one regret so far is how quick I moved through the first three degrees. I wish I had purposely spent more time as an EA and FC. After all, you are a MM for life, but and EA/FC for a woefully short period. A lot of lessons to be learned that are sadly skipped over.

cemab4y

Premium Member

Your inference is correct. I believe that men who do not see the need and benefit of modern technology, and the immense benefits that technology can bring to the Craft, should not be in leadership. I did not mean to mislead anyone.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Technology is so central to leadership because of what reason? If GL sees no value in technology how does it hurt anyone? They're still our brothers, regardless if they care about websites or know how to use an IPhone.

You're making broad brushstrokes on a very vague canvas here. I've been watching this thread for a few days now and it's been slowly devolving. Let's get back on topic, as others have said.

I have also urged that we keep the discussions here "on point". If we can do so, no one will be more agreeable, than I will.

Let's keep the discussions on how we can better use modern technology, and administrative changes, to better serve our Craft. We are instructed to improve ourselves in Masonry. The modern world, and demographics, are forcing changes and adaptations on Masonry (and the appendant bodies), like it or not.

A declining membership base, an older membership base, fewer lodges, consolidation of lodges, and other factors, will have an immense impact on this organization.

It is up to us, the membership, to manage these changes, or the changes will manage us.

cemab4y

Premium Member

Bravo! I have, for many years, been advocating that Grand Lodges/Lodges increase Masonic knowledge to individual members. And I mean, both newly made Masons, and old coots like myself. I have travelled the length and breadth of this land, and I have only see two or three lodges, with a library of Masonic books, for the membership.

The GL of North Carolina, has an on-line training program, where individual Masons can study on the history of the Grand Lodge (and other topics). This is where the internet can really help. Grand lodges can work together, and develop on-line courses, where Masons can increase their Masonic "literacy". Courses in leadership, and how to more efficiently run lodges, could be devised.

This is an exciting time to be a Mason!

Status
Not open for further replies.