My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do people mention the Da Vinci Code so often

Zaden

Admittedly, it has been some time since I read Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci Code, but I don't recall anything more than a passing mention of Masons in either. The former was about a group of "scientific" Illuminati and the latter about the hoax Priory of Sion. In the Lost Symbol the Fraternity was the focus, but not in a negative light and this seems to be the least well known of Dan Brown's books..

Despite this, so often I hear or read brothers talking about people being introduced to masonry through "the Da Vinci Code". Even in my investigation, when I mentioned being introduced to it "through reading" (clarified to historical and esoteric texts long before Brown wrote any of these) I was asked if it was through these books. Am I forgetting or missing something?

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
Re: Why do people mention the Da Vinci Code so oft

I think it may just be that the interest level (amongst Masons anyway) is so low when it comes to Dan Brown's books they don't realise that they should be referencing the "Lost Symbol" rather than the far better known (because it was made into a film) "Davinci Code".

crono782

Premium Member

Perhaps Da Vinci code sparked the "secret society" interested that eventually led them to stumble upon Masonry. Or maybe they mean Lost Symbol, but fear that others won't know the title and mention Da Vinci code instead for sake of conversation.

dfreybur

Premium Member

I figure Dan Brown is riding a wave of interest that existed before he noticed, not that he created the wave of interest. But he's the most visible author riding the wave and Da Vinci Code was made into a popular movie so it gets mentioned a lot. Plus many think he created the wave of interest.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member

I really like his Books, I've just finished Inferno BUT he is not really a good source of inspiration for would-be Masons.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member

I constantly ask this question! There is not one mention of Freemasonry in the movie.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor

In the book they link the illuminati to masons that's why. They,like I until I did some research, assume that illuminati are Masons

Jonathan Madsen, SD, Crater lake 211 A.F&A.M

japool

I think it's sort of like when people mention "Star Wars". Which one? There's six movies plus a ton of other media.

I think that some use "DaVinci Code" as a generic term for all of Brown's works and for certain other types of mysteries.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Zaden

In the book they link the illuminati to masons that's why. They,like I until I did some research, assume that illuminati are Masons

Jonathan Madsen, SD, Crater lake 211 A.F&A.M

I'm pretty sure the illuminati was only in Angel & Demons.