Why I demited out of York Rite

Discussion in 'The York Rite' started by Rifleman1776, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Txmason32

Txmason32 Registered User

I love the chapter council and commandry ... that and the blue lodge combined with my love of research and history just brings it all together

KSigMason likes this.
  2. cacarter

cacarter Premium Member

This sums it up for me as well. I'll go ahead and add that the drill adds to the ridiculousness of the uniforms. It looks like a bunch of Captain Crunch's marching around like tin soldiers. Even performing the new opening with 9, which is full form lite pretty much, it takes forever.

From what I've seen it seems that Commandery in Texas is more worried about getting high scores on their opening/closing, Order of the Temple, and drill teams than they are anything else. I get the idea of putting on a good degree and opening & closing correctly, but it feels like scores are more important than education. My chapter and council don't even have scores for motivation. Instead I end up wasting a couple of hours on a Friday night by attending.

My conclusion: I'll be demitting from all 3 at the end of the year.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think that ALL appendant bodies are crap.

dalinkou and JJones like this.
  3. Companion Joe

Companion Joe Premium Member

I am sorry to hear your experiences in the York Rite have not been good. In my area, our YR bodies and York Rite College are the backbone of Masonry.

KSigMason likes this.
  4. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

I know how you feel. I'm also retired and a die hard NRA supporter. I'll skip a couple of meals a week before I stop my monthly support of the NRA-ILA.

Bill Lins and MaineMason like this.
  5. MaineMason

MaineMason Registered User

As I have said before, I'm taking my Royal Arch degree because I am a line officer in my blue lodge which also hosts Chapter. Besides, I have enjoyed my Chapter degrees so far. My heart is in Blue Lodge and Scottish Rite though. After long discussion with my father (32nd degree SR) I made the decision to petition Capitular Masonry partly on the basis of the fact that it is entirely possible that in some years I could end up being the Master of my lodge and should know given that we host Chapter.

It is doubtful that I will progress much further in it as I am truly put off by the militaristic focus of Commandery. (SR Consistories have such stuff but it's not the focus). While I am a practicing Episcopalian, I am also put off somewhat by the overt Christian focus of York Rite bodies, even though I am a member of Rose Croix.

I'm liking Chapter. I will most likely stop there and remain active in Blue Lodge and SR and pay my dues to the Chapter. The problem with appendent bodies is that there is always more to do and while I'm working the chairs in Blue Lodge SR and Chapter will have to take somewhat of a second place.

Morris likes this.
  6. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

I would suggest the Council as well if you intend on being in Chapter. The Select Master really rounds out the "circle" of the Blue degrees. Plus there's only two (or three if you count the SEM). I can see not joining the Commandery, but I think missing the Cryptic Council is just tragic. ;)

MaineMason likes this.
  7. MaineMason

I will certainly entertain the idea of Council. I just have no interest in dressing up like a cross between a Civil War general and Archduke Ferdinand. ;)

Bill Lins likes this.
  8. MaineMason

I'd rather give my donation to Public Broadcasting, but we all have our preferences.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  9. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

Yah none of that in the Council, hah. What, you don't wanna dress like an ostrich died on General Lee's head??

cacarter likes this.
  10. Willaim Perkins

Willaim Perkins Registered User

First off I understand and, as approach those "golden years".,worry that they may turn into aluminum.
    Second the idea that someone just attending a meeting has to ben full uniform is, in my opinion, somewhat of an oblique death sentence.
    Third, and most important, what happen to the emphasis on recruitment?

11. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

I agree with all of these statements, good points.

MaineMason likes this.
  12. Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776 Registered User

Willaim, I agree. In Arkansas, all of Masonry is struggling to hang on and simply continue to exist.

MaineMason likes this.
  13. David Melear

David Melear Right Eminent Grand Commander Premium Member

Most people in Texas may not be aware of this, and I cannot remember the date but it seems like in 2006 we adopted the Cap and Mantle as an official uniform of the Grand Commandery of Texas, and you can wear it as your uniform. There are other rules that apply if you are an officer of the Commandery, and there is a certain way you must wear it, just basic rules.

Also, at the 2013 session we changed the Texas Opening and cut out most of the marching. The opening now takes about 20 minutes if not less. It is about as long as the Blue Lodge opening if done correctly.

I only post this because the opening length and the uniform have been common talking points for many years. In Masonry as in politics, sometimes the problems get fixed but the talking points remain. It is time to update these talking points in Texas.

14. JJones

JJones Moderator Staff Member

That's good to know. Doesn't the entire Commandry need to adopt one uniform or the other? I'm just asking for clarification as it seems that uniforms would have to be...well, uniform.

I don't suppose I've attended since any changes to the drill have taken place. I live closer to a more active Commandry now so I'll pay them a visit. :)

15. Companion Joe

I would love it - love it - if Tennessee cut down some of the marching around in the opening. That is my biggest dislike of the Commandery.

I also agree that a state should agree on one uniform and go with it. That ties into my repeated verse of being where the stalemate arises: those who already have the current uniform don't want to buy something new any less than those without a uniform want to invest in what we wear.

16. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

At the risk of re-repeating myself; they drape us with a sash during the Orders. We should keep it and wear it over a black suit for meetings, etc.
    There is not now, nor ever has been, anything chivalric about our uniforms.

17. Companion Joe

We don't do the sash here, but I am certain at one point they did. I have seen Commandery members marching in parades from the late 1800s where all the members wore a white sash over their black uniforms. They all had on the current chapeaus!

18. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

I'd totally dig the uniforms if it was the frock style and the sashes.

19. goomba

goomba Neo-Antient Site Benefactor

I would love all the Masonic groups to agree that a black suit is acceptable.

20. Companion Joe

We are very fortunate. My Blue Lodge, Chapter, and Council all had positive gains in membership this year, small gains, but positive for the first time in decades probably. Our Commandery broke even.

Share My Freemasonry