My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

14th Degree Ring

Tony Siciliano

Premium Member
Txmason said:
Not to interrupt the conversation, but I am interested in joining an apparent body, and I have a lot of good close friends in the Scottish rite. What can you tell me about the SR? If I join, would I able to lend my talents as a photographer? What is the SR? What will I learn? Etc. How do I join?

Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry -

The quickest way to get all the basic-level info you need is to check out the Scottish Rite, Southern Jurisdiction website (www.scottishrite.org). Another good page is the Valley of Jacksonville website (www.aasrvalleyofjax.org).

I think a lot of you questions will be answered there.

There are a ton of volunteering opportunities. A photographer is always good to have around at reunions.

Mac

Premium Member
What can you tell me about the SR? If I join, would I able to lend my talents as a photographer? What is the SR? What will I learn? Etc. How do I join?
Brother Tony was right about those resources being able to answer your questions.

Anecdotally, I would like to vouch for the accuracy of the statement that it's the "College of Freemasonry." Since I have joined, I have learned more about a few different religions and more about our degrees and their (real, factual) history and development. The Master Craftsman Program was a huge boon to the Masonic community, and while it is valuable to non-SR Masons, it is invaluable to the SR Mason.

Sitting through a reunion where you don't see all the degrees (as is the most common practice today) can make you feel like the only important degrees are the ones acted out. You miss out, for instance, on the 9th-11th degrees which finish one version of the third degree. You see another way to look at the 3 ruffians and what they each represent, which was particularly eye-opening for me. The story in the SR seems to me to be a bit deeper than what most people experience in Texas ritual.

The Scottish Rite is an investment in knowledge. Ben Franklin said something about the interest on such an investment once. ;)

Last edited: