My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A question that makes me go Ummm

DJGurkins

Floresville #515
Premium Member
If you are endowed in your home lodge and are not a member of other lodge. What would happen to your endowment if your lodge folded or was absorbed by another lodge in the jurisdiction? Would it be transferred or would it dissolve as the lodge did and, in the case of being absorbed. Would the endowment be dissolve or be transferred to the new lodge?
This is just the occasional question that makes me go Ummm.

tomasball

Premium Member
There's a rule to cover that eventuality. In the case of consolidation, your endowed membership goes to the surviving lodge, unless you ask the Grand Secretary to transfer it to another lodge of which you are a member within 12 months. If your lodge demises, you can instruct the Grand Secretary to apply your endowment to any other lodge of which you are a member. That came up at last Grand Lodge; there had previously been a 12-month cutoff for moving your endowment from a demised lodge, but that was eliminated.

crono782

Premium Member
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this. An endowment is something of a "gift" you give to the lodge so that should you one day be unable to pay your dues, you are covered (although being endowed member means you don't have to pay anymore dues). Should the lodge fold, your endowment is gone. Kinda like do you ask for a gift you gave a relative back once they pass away... Should the lodge merge, w/ another, your endowment follows you. Should you demit, I'm not sure on this one, but I think you do not get the endowment back. Like I said I'm just guessing here. Bill Lins would know.

EDIT: above poster answered it, hah.

Freemason Connect Mobile

DJGurkins

Floresville #515
Premium Member
I was just curious. It seems to me the Grand Lodge receives the first stipend from the endowment if I am correct then it seems they wouldn't allow the endowment to be dropped if the lodge folded.
I am very new to this and not sure but it seems to me that if your home lodge folded then your endowment would transfer to the lodge you transferred to. That does not mean responsibility to the new lodge has been relinquished. You should still at the minimum pay the Grand lodge fees every year if not full dues for yourself or another Brother who is unable to pay.