My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are blue lodges only AF&AM?

KO2134

I don't get it when some individuals speak about freemasonry in general they use the term blue lodge but they always make a distinguish between prince hall masons and blue lodge i think they're the same but y'all know more than i do so...

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
We're talking about two different things here. "Blue Lodge" refers to a local Lodge as opposed to a "Grand Lodge". Wharton #621, El Campo #918, et al are "blue Lodges" under the obedience of the Grand Lodge of Texas, A.F. & A.M..

Dunno if PHA refers to local Lodges as "blue Lodges" or not.

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
Every State in the Union chooses its designation and these differences go back to England during the time of the Great Schism. Here is a map I put together that shows the breakdown of states:

Map-of-Masons.gif

David Hill

Very cool map! I hadn't seen the split represented graphically. Thanks.

bupton52

Premium Member
We're talking about two different things here. "Blue Lodge" refers to a local Lodge as opposed to a "Grand Lodge". Wharton #621, El Campo #918, et al are "blue Lodges" under the obedience of the Grand Lodge of Texas, A.F. & A.M..

Dunno if PHA refers to local Lodges as "blue Lodges" or not.

PHA subordinate lodges are also referred to as "blue lodges"

widows son

Premium Member

Blue lodges are where the degrees of entered apprentice, fellow-craft and master mason are practice.

widows son

Premium Member

And I assume along with PHA, F&AM, and AF&AM both call their craft lodge, blue lodges as well. Also doesn't the AASR have a red lodge where they practice these degrees? I think this has been discussed on here before.

Virgin Islands Brother

Every State in the Union chooses its designation and these differences go back to England during the time of the Great Schism. Here is a map I put together that shows the breakdown of states:

Map-of-Masons.gif

I know we are only a spec on the map but there are Caribbean Islands that are Blue Lodge AF&AM. I can't recall off hand exactly. I will forward the full list at another time. Off the top: St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, Barbados, Antigua, Tortola, Puerto Rico

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
Re: Are blue lodges only AF&AM?

Only one state with AFM? What's the dealio with that?

It's South Carolina... As Brother Petigru said 152 years ago last month (December, 1860), it's too small to be an independent nation, and too large to be an insane asylum. They've hovered between the two extremes for over 200 years ;-)

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member

Map-of-Masons.gif

My Brother, I don't see FAAM represented.