My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heraldry and Grant of Arms

Mike Mendelson

Brothers,

As a youth, I was fascinated by heraldry and am pleased to see the armorial bearings of different grand lodges, individual lodges, and appendant bodies. As an EA, I'm trying not to get to ahead of myself and am mainly focusing on learning my catechism.

However, I am curious to know whether any appendant bodies or masonic orders have ever granted the right a coat of arms, within masonry, to individual masons? Maybe someday masonic heraldry can be a research project for me. Thank you all.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Masonic bodies don’t have the authority to grant arms.

Lord Lyon/ME Joe Morrow has done a lecture on masonic heraldry.

Winter

Premium Member
It is worth noting, that I have seen many Lodges that use what definitely looks like a coat of arms or heraldry but I can safely say they are probably not registered with any heraldic authority. Heraldry is traditionally only registered to individuals, not organizations. I'm not an expert by any means so if you do a research paper on Masonic Heraldry, I am sure we'd all like to see it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mike Mendelson

Okay and thank you. Still working on my EA catechism, but I will file this away and start planning for future research!

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
It is worth noting, that I have seen many Lodges that use what definitely looks like a coat of arms or heraldry but I can safely say they are probably not registered with any heraldic authority. Heraldry is traditionally only registered to individuals, not organizations. I'm not an expert by any means so if you do a research paper on Masonic Heraldry, I am sure we'd all like to see it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
All English speaking heraldic authorities grant corporate arms. I represented one organization with Lord Lyon. He has encouraged lodges with a Scottish connection to consider petitioning.

I’m unaware of any US lodge with a grant of arms.

(As a note, I’m a past chairman of the Society of Scottish Armigers).