My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petitioning "Last Minute"

Keith C

This coming Saturday the Valley of Allentown, PA is holding their Spring Reunion. I was asked several months ago is I was interested in petitioning and receiving several of the SR Degrees, including the 32nd at the Reunion. It was strongly recommended to me as there was a significantly reduced fee for the Degrees and Dues for the year. Unfortunately, at the time, I had to decline the offers, as the WM of my Blue Lodge was holding an event the evening of the Reunion, and the timing would not work to attend both.

For reasons that are unrelated and I will keep to myself, the Blue Lodge event was cancelled yesterday. One of the PMs from my Blue Lodge, who is also our liaison with the SR Valley, called me within an hour of getting notification that the event was cancelled asking if I "wanted in" as he could arrange it if I so desired.

So, on Saturday I will join yet another Masonic rite! Sometimes the Talking Heads song "Once in a Lifetime" comes to mind and I ask myself "WELL HOW DID I GET HERE?"

Mark Stockdale

Premium Member
I think they have previously had MMs do just that, join an American lodge and get 4th - 32nd degrees and then think they are better than others in the UK. Folks that want it just to be able to say "Look at me" and not for actual seeking of enlightenment.

I still hold to 'There is no degree above that of the Sublime Degree of a MM'.

Sent from my 6055P using My Freemasonry mobile app

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I think they have previously had MMs do just that, join an American lodge and get 4th - 32nd degrees and then think they are better than others in the UK. Folks that want it just to be able to say "Look at me" and not for actual seeking of enlightenment.

It is correct that members of other supreme councils are not, under a policy of some years, allowed to join the AASR in the US without permission of their resident supreme council. Further, they lose the opportunity to join the Rite in the country of their residence. I have an English Mason who is a member of my Valley who joined under just those circumstances.

However, I know Scots who are members of the craft in the US and retain membership in their mother lodge. I don’t doubt you were told this, but I suspect it is a misapplication of the policy.

Elexir

It is correct that members of other supreme councils are not, under a policy of some years, allowed to join the AASR in the US without permission of their resident supreme council. Further, they lose the opportunity to join the Rite in the country of their residence. I have an English Mason who is a member of my Valley who joined under just those circumstances.

However, I know Scots who are members of the craft in the US and retain membership in their mother lodge. I don’t doubt you were told this, but I suspect it is a misapplication of the policy.

Im just curious, isnt the normal way that GLs only have basic juristiction of only the first three degrees and other bodies control themself?
In that case the warning seems a bit wierd if the GL is interfering with an appendant body in this manner?

Keith C

I had a wonderful time at the Reunion yesterday.

I was VERY impressed not only by the content and symbolism of the Degrees but all the work that goes into preparing for and presenting them. I am not sure what I expected, but it was FAR more involved and elaborate than anything that went through my mind beforehand.

The Degrees we experienced were:

Muhlenburg Lodge of Perfection 14 degree:

4th Degree - Master Traveler (via Video)
5th Degree - Perfect Master

Lafayette Council Princes of Jerusalem 16 degree:

16th Degree - Prince of Jerusalem

Bethlehem Chapter of Rose Croix, 18 degree

No Degrees - Obligations only

Lehigh Consistory, S.P.R.S., 32 degree

19th Degree - Brothers of the Trail

26th Degree - Friend and Brother Eternal

27th Degree - Knight of Jerusalem

32nd Degree - Sublime Prince of the Royal Secret

The Valley of Allentown put on a great day which started at 7:00am with registration, coffee & donuts, had a fantastic lunch of Ham, Turkey, Mashed potatos, gravy, green beans (I believe they are mandatory at Masonic events) and rolls. Due to some difficulties with set changes the day ended at 7:00pm, when it was scheduled to end at 5:30. The 1/2 of the class I was part of were on our tour of the Cathedral building and witnessed some of the issues they had back stage setting up when was a brand new set for the 27th Degree. Later speaking with a Brother from my Blue Lodge who is part of the set building team, they had built several new sets for this reunion and there were some difficulties getting them set up resulting in the delays.

The class Honoree for this Reunion was Illustrious David A. Glatty, 33 Degree, Sovereign Grand Commander of the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction AASR. He spent a LOT of his time interacting with us candidates, made sure to sign the bibles presented to us all and is a very personable, down to earth man. It was awesome to have him as our Class Honoree.

After the close of the work for the day they put on a very nice reception for the class with chees, meats, crackers, chips, beer, wine, soft drinks, etc.

All in all the day was incredible and I am really impressed by the goings on at the Valley of Allentown. I am looking forward to getting involved...Once I am done in the East of my Blue Lodge!

BroBook

Premium Member
This coming Saturday the Valley of Allentown, PA is holding their Spring Reunion. I was asked several months ago is I was interested in petitioning and receiving several of the SR Degrees, including the 32nd at the Reunion. It was strongly recommended to me as there was a significantly reduced fee for the Degrees and Dues for the year. Unfortunately, at the time, I had to decline the offers, as the WM of my Blue Lodge was holding an event the evening of the Reunion, and the timing would not work to attend both.

For reasons that are unrelated and I will keep to myself, the Blue Lodge event was cancelled yesterday. One of the PMs from my Blue Lodge, who is also our liaison with the SR Valley, called me within an hour of getting notification that the event was cancelled asking if I "wanted in" as he could arrange it if I so desired.

So, on Saturday I will join yet another Masonic rite! Sometimes the Talking Heads song "Once in a Lifetime" comes to mind and I ask myself "WELL HOW DID I GET HERE?"
Follow your guide.... !

Sent from my LML212VL using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Im just curious, isnt the normal way that GLs only have basic juristiction of only the first three degrees and other bodies control themself?
Most, if not all, American Grand Lodges claim authority over anything to do with Masonry, including the appendant Orders, within their jurisdictions.

Elexir

Most, if not all, American Grand Lodges claim authority over anything to do with Masonry, including the appendant Orders, within their jurisdictions.

Okay.
My GL works a bit diffrently so Im just suprised that they involve themself in that way.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
And strangely when I discussed this with a fellow Scottish Rite mason he said, I could do it but it wouldn't be recognised in a UGLE lodge, perhaps that's the difference in constitutions between England and Scotland.
Perhaps to clarify: One can be a dual member of craft constitutions. If the issue is recognition of AASR membership, the current practice is to require a waiver of the Supreme Council in the jurisdiction of residence.