My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SCUBA Diving Freemasons

Txmason

I am Jerry and interested in learning to SCUBA Dive. I live on Lake Conroe in Montgomery,Texas. Are there any fellow brothers that dive innthe local area or that could recommend a good dive shop or school? I would appreciate any help you all could offer.

Best,
Jerry

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
I am not sure how far they from you but I have been with some people out if the Houston Scuba Academy before on a couple of live-aboard trips out to the Flower Gardens NMS. I have been there several times along with Canyon Lake in San Antonio, Athens Scuba Park in Athens , and one of my favorites Possum Kingdom outside of Graham.

If do get certified you will love it. Just make sure you are comfortable in the water because there are a couple of exercises you have to do to get certified that can be a bit unnerving if you aren't. I have been certified since 1994 and still love it as much today as I did the first time I ever tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using Freemasonry

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
I've thought about doing scuba a bunch of times, but was concerned about lack of visibility in Texas' waters. How are things as far as that goes?

And is it an expensive hobby?

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
It depends on when and where you go. In Possum Kingdom I have seen visibility range from 10' to almost 60'. If there has been a lot of rain then it is usually not as clear. I would say the average for the lakes I've been too is around 20'.

Cost wise it can be expensive upfront. To get certified you could probably figure $250. You will have to buy mask, fins, and snorkel. From there your equipment you can continue to rent or you can buy your own stuff. The good thing is that even though it can be expensive to buy everything with a little effort, TLC, and regular maintenance it will last for years. The equipment is like everything else, there are cheap ones and there are some really expensive ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Freemasonry