My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Survey of Alchemical Symbols in the Lodge of Perfection

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Many of you may have familiarity with the term “Alchemistâ€.*

For most this term conjures images of early experimenters attempting to chemically convert lead or base metals into gold, and the search for the chemical elixir of life.* These experimenters did indeed exist, their work being the forerunner of modern chemistry.* As there were “operative†alchemists, so there were also “speculative†alchemists.*

Speculative alchemists are often associated with Hermetic philosophy, and employ symbols of metals, elements, the planets, and chemical processes to describe and understand the spiritual process of personal improvement.* The founder of Hermetic philosophy was an Egyptian sage Hermes Trismegisus.*

To the Egyptians he was credited as the author of all the arts and sciences.* Deified by different cultures, he was known as Thoth by the Egyptians, Mercury by the Romans and Hermes to the Greeks.* While in all probability there actually existed a great sage by the name of Hermes, it is impossible to extricate the historical man from the mass of legendary accounts of him. *One of the famous writings of Hermes was the Emerald Table, which contains thirteen sentences summarizing Hermetic thought.*

Full Article: http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/alchemy_freemasonry.html

BEDickey

Premium Member
Being a Hermeticist, and soon an Entered Apprentice I can say the links to Freemasonry and Hermeticism are very common, in fact it was threw learning about my religion that I came to know what I do of Freemasonry. I am willing to bet that I will find more links as I go pass threw the degrees.

promason

Physical Alchemy proceeds from intellectual and spiritual alchemy and is its manifestation,when you find back the GOD WHO LIES IN YOU and in every parcel of creation

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Some years ago I updated the English for a work called "The Book of Quintessence". I am surprised to find that people are still posting it up. One copy can be found at The Book of Quintessence

There are several flaws in my work on it (I did it more than 15 years ago), but it's on the main still not too bad. One update is that I now know what "gerapigra galieni" is. It's a bitter laxative that could have many different formulations but always had aloe. One formulation consisted of aloe, cinnamon, spikenard, saffron, and mastic, ground into a paste and administered in a syrup.