My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Criticality of our Individual Degrees and Catechisms

Winter

Premium Member
For clarity that is a modern version where someone has updated the language of the originals, here's one from 1874 that would accompany the degree ceremonies from Perfect workings: https://archive.org/details/cu31924030313070

It's interesting to note that all of the different variations of the degree ceremonies worked in England are supposed to have their own version as that is how the brethren are supposed to learn about each of the degrees they go through. Each brother was required to answer questions on the Lecture before they could progress to the next degree, sadly this has been reduced to a very minor test of memory today. The Emulation and Taylor's workings publish the Lectures in separate books to accompany their Ceremonies books but often Proposers are not aware of them and only furnish their charges with the "ritual book".

The "Lectures" were compiled by William Preston (1742 - 1818) who I think you guys are aware of over there but I don't think you all know what an impact he had here. He traveled extensively compiling the lectures worked in many Lodges and were initially published in his work "Illustrations of Masonry" in 1772. They carried on in use after the Union of 1813 and had at least equal weight with degree ceremonies being the work of a Lodge but as I mentioned earlier fell into semi-decay from the mid 20th Century.

They should not to be confused with general lectures which can be on any topic but delivered within a Lodge which is called off.
Thank you for sharing. Interesting material in that book. It is easy to forget that our rituals are so much different now than they were just 200 years ago. You would have thought I would remember that being halfway through the second section of the Master Craftsman Program. And now I recall reading a late 18th century SR ritual that used that same format.