My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After Balloting, how long does a candidate have to wait before initiation to first degree?

Captain Munar

A candidate has just been balloted. He's to be initiated after 15 days. Some said that a balloted candidate can be initiated 2 days after his balloting. But some are not so sure about this.

Also after initiation, how long it will take for him to be passed to FC, and from FC to MM...?

Last edited:

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
It varies by jurisdiction. In NM, you can be Initiated the same night you are balloted on, though it's uncommon. The wait between Degrees is 28 days, and a suitable proficiency.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Yes, once you have been elected to receive the degrees, there is no specified wait time ... at least as far as I've ever heard. In our case, our stated meeting is the first Tuesday, and if we pass a favorable ballot on someone, we usually do his EA the next Tuesday unless we already have a degree scheduled or his schedule doesn't allow it, in which case we'll do it the next week.

As said, the waiting period (in my state) is 28 days from degree to degree if you are good to go on your lecture. That's based on the lunar calendar dating back to when lodges met on the full moon.

Willys

Premium Member
A candidate has just been balloted. He's to be initiated after 15 days. Some said that a balloted candidate can be initiated 2 days after his balloting. But some are not so sure about this.

Also after initiation, how long it will take for him to be passed to FC, and from FC to MM...?
Balloting for a candidate for the degrees is done at a 'Stated Meeting', aka business meeting. Those are usually one per month as 'Stated'. After closing that meeting a Lodge could follow procedure to to confer the EA, or use alternate methods not discussed here. I wouldn't plan on that happening.

After conferral of the EA degree there are lessons to be learned, usually taught by one of the member Brethren of that Lodge. Options are available. An EA 'could' learn the lessons in a matter of a few days. I've instructed some who take longer. Much, much longer. So there is no set or required period of time other than the 28 days mentioned above.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
You need to check with your Grand Lodge. Mine each differ both in time and in what proficiency is required to move to the next degree.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
In Kentucky after proficiency you can be initiated the same night. Next week at a lodge that I visit this is going to take place.

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
As others have noted, the waiting periods vary between jurisdictions. A candidate has his petition read in a stated (typically monthly) meeting, and an investigation committee is appointed and sent out with the expectation that they will report back at the next monthly meeting. Once they do, a ballot is held. If approved, the degree night is scheduled on the lodge calendar, and the candidate notified, initially by phone, and formally by a mailed invitation.

Once you receive your EA, then the schedule is in your hands. You must memorize and turn in the required proficiency lecture before you can advance to the next degree, and there is a 30-day/1 month waiting period between the degrees. I went through pretty fast -- 61 days from receiving my EA to my being raised as an MM, but I worked hard on the lectures, skipped few school nights, and turned in on time... and that's about as fast as it can be done here...