My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenges on the street

BroBook

Premium Member
I wonder about ** (ritual reference removed by mod) ** Or ** (ritual reference removed by mod) **

My Freemasonry HD

Thanks my brother and to the others on the this forum, I meant to say
When I came in back in the day1984 my people required it verbatim because you can not decide who will try you or how! I try to stay ready to explain what I believe & why.

My Freemasonry HD

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I've talked to brothers who had to do that while going through their degrees in a European lodge. Has anyone heard of it in the Americas? Doing a research paper is a very different kind of education than memorizing a proficiency.
Brother Doug, at least two TO Lodges I know of do it. The paper is in addition to the memorization required by their GL.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Ok ima stop this right now because the subject has been going on for too long my brothers smh lol ok ph is f&am but technically they are af&am because of there charter over seas in England , prince hall waited 9 years for this charter along with 14 other brothers so its yes and no according how deep you brothers want to go n if I'm wrong then I challenge any brother too dispute this I was pha before af&am and that's wat I was taught if its wrong then I stand corrected

At the time African Lodge 459 was chartered there were two Grand Lodges working in England; the Premier Grand Lodge and the Ancient Grand Lodge. AL 459 was chartered by the Premier Grand Lodge, which is why the recognized Prince Hall GLs (those tracing directly back to AL 459) today use F&AM (if they use initials at all). "George Washington" Grand Lodges have varied legacies; those that trace to the Premier GL usually use F&AM, those that trace to the Ancient GL generally use AF&AM.
The District of Columbia and South Carolina have different designations, and I will let someone else decipher why.

(Once again posting this link of US GLs for reference.)

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I've been tried a couple of times out of the blue. The first time I blew it. I was recently Raised and was on a tour of Israel when a guy in the van saw my ring and proceeded to test me. I got through it but explained that I had yet to turn in my work. I passed with flying colors a couple of years later when I was tried again.

What's funny is that many non-Masons think it's possible to simply google our modes of recognition or words, but there's so much more to it than physical actions and/or what we say. google doesn't make a man a Mason.

MarkR

Premium Member
I've talked to brothers who had to do that while going through their degrees in a European lodge. Has anyone heard of it in the Americas? Doing a research paper is a very different kind of education than memorizing a proficiency.
There's a "Traditional Observance" lodge in the Twin Cities that does this.

BroBook

Premium Member
I've been tried a couple of times out of the blue. The first time I blew it. I was recently Raised and was on a tour of Israel when a guy in the van saw my ring and proceeded to test me. I got through it but explained that I had yet to turn in my work. I passed with flying colors a couple of years later when I was tried again.

What's funny is that many non-Masons think it's possible to simply google our modes of recognition or words, but there's so much more to it than physical actions and/or what we say. google doesn't make a man a Mason.

Yes brother I was told a long time ago and it is true if you did not come through the door those who did can tell .

P.S. may our Great God bless you and who ever helps you with this sight I love this forum, I have never had the opportunity to have these kinds of
Discourses with such a wide variety of Brothers

SMIB BroBook

My Freemasonry HD

BroBook

Premium Member
At the time African Lodge 459 was chartered there were two Grand Lodges working in England; the Premier Grand Lodge and the Ancient Grand Lodge. AL 459 was chartered by the Premier Grand Lodge, which is why the recognized Prince Hall GLs (those tracing directly back to AL 459) today use F&AM (if they use initials at all). "George Washington" Grand Lodges have varied legacies; those that trace to the Premier GL usually use F&AM, those that trace to the Ancient GL generally use AF&AM.
The District of Columbia and South Carolina have different designations, and I will let someone else decipher why.

(Once again posting this link of US GLs for reference.)

That is interesting there was some type schism between 1717 & 1777 ? Any idea what happened?

My Freemasonry HD

bupton52

Premium Member
That is interesting there was some type schism between 1717 & 1777 ? Any idea what happened?

My Freemasonry HD
The Athol Grand Lodge, or Grand Lodge of Ancient Masons, had formed in England several decades after the formation of the Grand Lodge of England, which dates to 1717.http://forum.mastermason.com/RTE_textarea.asp?mode=reply&ID=1954#_edn1 The exact date of the founding of the Athol Grand Lodge is not known due to “the carelessness with which Masonic history was written.” The Grand Lodge of England and the Athol Grand Lodge were often bitter rivals and the Athols described the Grand Lodge of England as “Modern Masons.” This was meant to be a derogatory term, in that the Athols felt themselves to be “Ancient” and, therefore, more in line with the old traditions, rituals, and teachings of Freemasonry. In 1813, these two Grand Lodges eventually united to form the current United Grand Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of England, but not before the rivalry had spread to the American Colonies and, thus, to the new United States of America. Having their roots in York, England, the Ancients are often referred to as York Masons or Ancient York Masons. It is important to note that the York Masons and the Modern Masons refused to recognize one another as Masons and both parties viewed the other as innovators and invaders.

http://forum.mastermason.com/RTE_textarea.asp?mode=reply&ID=1954#_ednref1Mackey, Albert G. The History of Freemasonry. New York: The Masonic History Company, 1898, pp. 1104-1134.

Mackey, Albert G. The History of Freemasonry in South Carolina, Columbia, SC: South Carolina Steam Power Press, 1861, p. 61.

bupton52

Premium Member
Also @lmeeks357 I found this:

Incidentally, there are two jurisdictions which use neither F&AM nor AF&AM: The District of Columbia uses FAAM, and South Carolina uses AFM. Again, these are distinctions without any real difference.
Various suppositions are made about "four-letter" Lodges vs. "three-letter" Lodges and relationships to Prince Hall (PHA) Masonry and issues of recognition, but these are entirely unfounded.

http://www.themasonictrowel.com/Articles/General/lodge_files/difference_between_lodges.htm

BroBook

Premium Member
The Athol Grand Lodge, or Grand Lodge of Ancient Masons, had formed in England several decades after the formation of the Grand Lodge of England, which dates to 1717.http://forum.mastermason.com/RTE_textarea.asp?mode=reply&ID=1954#_edn1 The exact date of the founding of the Athol Grand Lodge is not known due to “the carelessness with which Masonic history was written.†The Grand Lodge of England and the Athol Grand Lodge were often bitter rivals and the Athols described the Grand Lodge of England as “Modern Masons.†This was meant to be a derogatory term, in that the Athols felt themselves to be “Ancient†and, therefore, more in line with the old traditions, rituals, and teachings of Freemasonry. In 1813, these two Grand Lodges eventually united to form the current United Grand Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of England, but not before the rivalry had spread to the American Colonies and, thus, to the new United States of America. Having their roots in York, England, the Ancients are often referred to as York Masons or Ancient York Masons. It is important to note that the York Masons and the Modern Masons refused to recognize one another as Masons and both parties viewed the other as innovators and invaders.

http://forum.mastermason.com/RTE_textarea.asp?mode=reply&ID=1954#_ednref1Mackey, Albert G. The History of Freemasonry. New York: The Masonic History Company, 1898, pp. 1104-1134.

Mackey, Albert G. The History of Freemasonry in South Carolina, Columbia, SC: South Carolina Steam Power Press, 1861, p. 61.

Thanks my brother good stuff

My Freemasonry HD

brother josh

Indeed I believe I did it was a lil different due to my state is different from the brothers but I'm glad to have meet a new true and worthy

My Freemasonry HD

BroBook

Premium Member
Indeed I believe I did it was a lil different due to my state is different from the brothers but I'm glad to have meet a new true and worthy

My Freemasonry HD

Good and pleasant may GOD come and find us doing what we should be doing!!!

SMIB BroBook

My Freemasonry HD