My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing lodges

fmasonlog

Didn’t know where else to post this but, I need to know what is the procedure to change lodges. I am not wanting to be in my home lodge any longer: blue lodge.

Thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
You need to check with your grand lodge. I note that your profile says you are an EA. This is important as to whether you may do so. It is also, with respect, important as to whether you know enough to know where you want to be.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Didn’t know where else to post this but, I need to know what is the procedure to change lodges. I am not wanting to be in my home lodge any longer: blue lodge.
It depends on your jurisdiction- different GLs, different procedures. You'll need to talk to the Secretary of your Lodge- he can guide you.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
A suggestion: visit and find the new lodge first. If your GL allows dual affiliations, affiliate before demiting from your prior lodge.There are two reasons for this: in some jurisdictions an unaffiliated Mason is limited on the number of times he can visit other lodges. Further, and I have seen this occur, there is always the chance you would not pass the ballot at the new lodge and would find yourself in an un-affiliated Mason.

Keith C

A suggestion: visit and find the new lodge first. If your GL allows dual affiliations, affiliate before demiting from your prior lodge.There are two reasons for this: in some jurisdictions an unaffiliated Mason is limited on the number of times he can visit other lodges. Further, and I have seen this occur, there is always the chance you would not pass the ballot at the new lodge and would find yourself in an un-affiliated Mason.

I agree with this. Really there should be no reason you HAVE to attend meetings at your current Lodge while you are looking for a new one. From all of the District Visitations I have attended in my area I know where I would petition if there was some reason to change Lodges. You are far better off Lodge shopping while still in good standing at your current Lodge.

CLewey44

AGREED! I've been in this boat for a year now. Affiliated with a lodge but can't get full clearance from previous GL. Here we are closing on another calendar and then what? I may be considered NPD in my previous state and then further hindering the chance to get in the NYGL.

Matt L

Site Benefactor

Brother Glen nailed it again. I was a life member of a lodge and a plural member of another. I demitted from my "home lodge" . When I did this, my plural lodge became my home lodge and my life membership carried over.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Excellent advice!