My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commandery Uniform Changes

Willaim Perkins

The Commandery uniform, while I have always liked it, has to change and the cap and mantle are not the answer!

People can't afford such these days and to that end I have been working on a proposal for a drastic uniform change. This change will be a savings of $160 to $625, with the most expensive item not required until the person goes to the East (EC, G or CG). The full habit (uniform) is cap, tunic, cape, baldric and sword. Secondary uniform is cap, cape, baldric and sword. This habit looks the part of the ceremonies that our Order engage in, and is cheaper and much more comfortable.

I will forgo the details until I see if there is an interest in this Habit here.

crono782

Premium Member
What you suggest sounds like the cap/mantle with the addition of a baldric. What am I missing?

dfreybur

Premium Member
In the past I have viewed various appendent bodies as having various prices. In a sense YR is for the financial elite compared to the SR because of the uniforms. Just like the Shrine marching clubs are because of the price of their equipment.

From the outside (I am SR and Shrine but not in a marching club) I see this discussion as a push for democratization of the York Rite by reducing the price tag. I wonder how much of the motivation here is conscious and how much subconscious.

Financial is only one aspect of elitism but I generally don't have a problem with elitist groups. It is a conundrum that Masonry teaches equality but is an elite. It is a conundrum that Masonry teaches freedom of religion but has a Christian elite appendent body. It is a conundrum that Masonry admits men based on their internal qualifications not on their worldly wealth but has more than one financially elite appendent bodies.

There's something of the horizontal and perpendicular in these conundrums that make them work well in spite of their apparent contradictions - A cathedral is secure because its level is well tested and wide. A cathedral is impressive because its plumb is well tested and tall. And it isn't just cathedrals but mosques and all other types of temples from the most humble home shrine to the most impressive swooping modern mega-church.

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
If a black suit is not formal enough for a Masonic body meeting then I think the body needs to evaluate its goals. This is why in my commandary I refuse to take an office.

Mac

Premium Member
I would have far more interest in the commandery if the organization looked the part.

Willaim Perkins

What you suggest sounds like the cap/mantle with the addition of a baldric. What am I missing?
The cape, which can be found at atlanta cutlery museum replicas and at armour venue, gives the wearer a command presence and adds solemnity to the Knight and the work/business, both in and out of the Asylum.
In addition is the tunic, which harkens back to the era of the Crusades. I'd be more than happy to explain in more detail if you are interested. I had even developed tactics for uncover/cover and why it is to be done a certain way.

Last edited:

crono782

Premium Member
Ah I see. The cap/mantle we have the option for is a cape and a cap similar to Scottish Rite.

Willaim Perkins

If a black suit is not formal enough for a Masonic body meeting then I think the body needs to evaluate its goals. This is why in my commandary I refuse to take an office.
some negative vibes there Sir Knight. So are you telling us that a suit and no apron is okay? I know a lot of the stuff is expensive, which is why I'd like to see some changes, and that it can be cumbersome, another reason. But maintain an even keel.

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
some negative vibes there Sir Knight. So are you telling us that a suit and no apron is okay? I know a lot of the stuff is expensive, which is why I'd like to see some changes, and that it can be cumbersome, another reason. But maintain an even keel.

Oh no aprons are great. I was talking about the clothing that a brother has to wear to just "show up". That did come across as much more harsh than I meant it to. A black suit could be worn in the symbolic lodge, chapter(s), and commandery. It could also be worn at various other events. It would be multipurposed across his varying Masonic bodies. Not hundreds of dollars for one body that cannot be used outside of that body. In my mind it would help get the brother thinking like a gentlemen something I thing all Masons should strive to be. I do enjoy the commandery however, I can't bring myself to spend money on the uniform.

Again sorry that I came across so harsh.

crono782

Premium Member

Attachments

• commandery_uniform.JPG
    commandery_uniform.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 998

Mac

Premium Member
One question I feel has been touched upon by this discussion (but not otherwise addressed):

What is the future of drill in the Commandery? Is it to be kept around?

I have no horse in the race as I have not yet joined the Commandery (waiting for conferral of the Orders). Just a thought.

Willaim Perkins

One question I feel has been touched upon by this discussion (but not otherwise addressed):

What is the future of drill in the Commandery? Is it to be kept around?

I have no horse in the race as I have not yet joined the Commandery (waiting for conferral of the Orders). Just a thought.
As a former Instructor in the Marine Corps I hope drill never goes away, but if we can't get a standard on dress ewe might as well look to....?

kastonw

Premium Member
I know in Louisiana I've never seen anyone use a cape we even have a summer uniform the whole uniform is $160 but you can't use it if you hold a office or during degrees so I asked why even have it

Willaim Perkins

I know in Louisiana I've never seen anyone use a cape we even have a summer uniform the whole uniform is $160 but you can't use it if you hold a office or during degrees so I asked why even have it
Thanks for your comments.
I have a proposal that I am working on that would harken back to the look of the origin of our Order, very comfortable, and save the wearer anywhere from $160 to $625. It also includes a secondary uniform within its habit and you don't end up looking like the commander of the local Salvation Army.

kastonw

Premium Member
Yea I still like the Uniform it's just the price hardly nobody these days has that kind of money to run out a buy it . It would be nice if there was a cheaper way and it still look as good

Companion Joe

Premium Member
I really like the old high collar frock coat with the white sash look. I don't know what kind of hat would go best with it. As far as I am concerned, you don't have to have a hat.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
The CPO jacket is a good choice if you can find one. Get it, and then order a set of buttons, sleeve crosses, and a state patch for it. You can also do the same thing with about an black, double breasted suit coat. My jacket is a hand-me-down. The date in the pocket says it was made in 1961. I just bought a pair of black suit pants, so I have about $30 in my uniform. Whole uniforms can be purchased from Mayo Discount Suits for $130. They look pretty nice. If I ever break down and buy a whole new one, that's probably the way I'll go. Theirs already have all the buttons, patches, piping, etc. on them.

Vikti

Question, what's wrong with the old aprons they use to wear? I've never heard a reason why they fell out of favor.

I've been in YR for a couple of years and I understand the need to look nice but I can't justify spending the money for an entire outfit I'll wear only a few hours a year. Heck, I have to borrow a suit when I'm invited to weddings and funerals. I guess I'm a little too blue collar.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App