My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Demits

The Traveling Man

Difference in terms: In US Masonry, "resign" is usually taken to mean renouncing membership in the fraternity.

We take our lore from a craft. There are other professions for which one may retain the knowledge, but no longer entitled to use the professional designation, such as attorney and solicitor. One may be disbarred or stricken from the Roll. The knowledge is retained, but one is no longer a solicitor.

Definitely makes sense. Such as Doctor no longer able to practice medicine. But would still speak, medically, with a someone who no longer practices medicine? Would you allow him to treat you. I must say that I probably would. But I understand what you are saying and it makes sense.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Definitely makes sense. Such as Doctor no longer able to practice medicine. But would still speak, medically, with a someone who no longer practices medicine? Would you allow him to treat you. I must say that I probably would. But I understand what you are saying and it makes sense.
Umm, no, I would not assist him in committing a crime.

The Traveling Man

Umm, no, I would not assist him in committing a crime.

You may have taken that the wrong way or read too far into what I was saying. I wasn't talking about an operation or anything major. More like "With Aleve, is it best to take 1 or 2. What are the side effects if I mix this medicine with that medicine?"

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
You may have taken that the wrong way or read too far into what I was saying. I wasn't talking about an operation or anything major. More like "With Aleve, is it best to take 1 or 2. What are the side effects if I mix this medicine with that medicine?"
I've handled criminal allegations for practicing outside of the scope of one's licensure (apparently dentists are not allowed to remove moles, stitch up arms and prescribe amphetamines. Who knew?). Giving medical advice is giving medical advice.

To your more narrow point, there is a reason people lose their licenses. Often it is for dishonesty, drugs or sex. They are not reliable people.

Bloke

Premium Member
Difference in terms: In US Masonry, "resign" is usually taken to mean renouncing membership in the fraternity.

An interesting point. Folk resign here all the time from lodges... that only puts you outside Freemasonry if it is your last Craft Lodge.... we do not use the term in the same way and "demit" is neither in our vocabulary nor mentioned in our constitution. We have two terms "resign" and "excluded", they're the two ways you leave lodge... or I guess you die.. Within "resigned" you have in "good standing" or "not in good standing" which refers to if you've paid your dues. If you have paid your dues, then you can get a "Clearance Certificate".

In terms of renouncing membership, I guess that's still a resignation here, but the content would be different, but I'm note sure the affect is.

dfreybur

Premium Member
If the Brother demitted, one would still treat him as a Mason. If he resigned or was suspended, then one would NOT treat him as a Brother.

This can depend on the generosity of the lodge - Who considers who a Brother does not have to be mutual.

I recall a Stated meeting where a communication was read that a Brother resigned. He was in good standing at the time. He was sent a demit form in case he ever wanted to change his mind.

I recall meetings where a Brother listed as NPD was contacted by the committee and said he was not interested and that he had no intention of paying his dues. He was sent an NPD form that explained how to come current again.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Thanks! That's what I assumed. It was just the wonderings of a Bored Freemason at work!..lol....maybe I could turn that in to a blog....
Again, by jurisdiction, but if I recall correctly, it is a two year gap in NJ that would require a secret ballot to get back in. If you come back within two years, I *think* the process is a bit more simplistic.

Also, I think you can be *at large* for a year before you have to either join another lodge or fall off the ranks as far as Grand Lodge is concerned.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
If you have paid your dues, then you can get a "Clearance Certificate".
That sounds exactly our "demit"- one must be in good standing to receive it. And, as Bro. Glen put it, one "demits" from one's Lodge but "resigns" (or is suspended or expelled) from the Fraternity.

Bloke

Premium Member
Also, I think you can be *at large* for a year before you have to either join another lodge or fall off the ranks as far as Grand Lodge is concerned.

"At large" LOL... the only similar thing we have is when a warrant gets returned, then the members are put into Lodge of Transition # 0 for 1 year, but 1 year only. We also have a stupid rule here (which EVERYONE ignores) that if unaffiliated, you can only visit a lodge once, then you have to join it...