Dual Lodge Membership

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Derinique Kendrick, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Yep, I hear you brother ! Thank goodness it is only two lodges and I am not in other orders... as a PM I feel a special responsibility to support the lodge and its members... giving back what it gave me...

2. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Very true!
    Exactly. As I said, we don't go into detail, just a brief summary.

3. Warrior1256

Great answer brother!
    Two more great answers.

4. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

You might go back & re-read post #34.

MRichard likes this.
  5. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

Yeah, but you HERE- we AIN'T there! :D

dfreybur likes this.
  6. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

I have visited several Lodges, did Degree work as well, some were different some were the same..Traveled outside my Jurisdiction some different some the same..I don't judge, I just go with the flow..

Warrior1256 likes this.
  7. Sammcd

Sammcd Premium Member

This was my reason.

Bill Lins likes this.
  8. Warrior1256

Same here.

9. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

I haven't read most of the other responses to your question, but I joined my father's lodge as my "second" lodge to basically help it out. It is an old lodge and its membership is dwindling. Also, I'm the 4th generation of Leweys to be a member of that lodge. So really it's just for personal/nostalgic reasons. I don't know how long, however, I'll continue to do that since I've never even visited the lodge. Also, around here we have what's call a Traditional Observance Lodge that I've considered joining. The reason for that is simply having a different experience altogether in lodge. I know I could just visit and that'd be completely legal but I couldn't vote or be an officer in that lodge or really participate by bringing anything I felt I could bring to the table.

10. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Brother JC likes this.
  11. babyjo

babyjo Premium Member

I am a plural Lodge member. I was made a Mason in New Jersey. I now live in New York. I would never think to demit from my Mother Lodge as they are responsible for Raising me. It is for this reason that I am a plural (dual ) member. I use the term 'plural' because I know many Brothers who affiliate with more than two Lodges. Especially with those who Travel to other states for work or to visit family. My daughter lives in Illinois. I have considered affiliating with a Lodge near her, in addition to the two Lodges to which I already belong. In order to joint he Royal Arch Chapter here in NY, I had to be a member of a New York Lodge. That is another reason for plural membership. This happens to retirees a lot. They will stay current at their Mother Lodge, but perhaps they moved elsewhere when they retired. There is a member of my Lodge with whom I have Traveled to Cuba. He is a permanent member of the Lodge down there, because he visits so frequently.

12. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Spell and/or pronounce your name slightly difference and man are you ever. Lewis - A Mason whose father is a Mason, ideally his father raised him in his third degree.

CLewey44 likes this.
  13. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Here, a Lewis is a son or nephew of a Freemason who's been initiated.

14. Ripcord22A

HMMMM....never heard that term before

15. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

16. Ripcord22A

17. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

The lewis was a tool of operative Masonry to lift carved stones to their final locations in the buildings.

Lewis is the speculative term for a Mason whose father is also a Mason. The more generations back the more levels. Illinois has a nice Lewis badge that can be extended for any number of generations of names.

It's symbolic. Ideally the father is there at the raising to whisper the word or at least to physically participate in the physical lifting part. Notice that the generations work in the opposite order operative to speculative. Maybe it used to refer more to attendance at Masonic funerals than at raisings.

I figure it also has some allusion to the position of hands and limbs during the raising.

MRichard likes this.
  18. Ripcord22A

I guess im dense...i don't see how that tool/term applies to the son of a mason......

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

19. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

It's often spoken about in the context of a lewis (the mason) supporting (lifting) parents in their old age through financial and other support.

Warrior1256 and Bill Lins like this.
  20. Warrior1256

Interesting! I hadn't heard this before.

Share My Freemasonry