Email etiquette

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by grayflannelsuit, Jan 16, 2017.

1. grayflannelsuit

grayflannelsuit Premium Member

Brothers - What is the proper way to address the Worshipful Master of a lodge in an email? Is "Worshipful Master" preferred or will "Brother XXX" suffice?

Blake Bowden likes this.
  2. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

In my jurisdiction, the protocol for a private email regarding a Masonic matter should begin thus: "Dear Worshipful Sir & Brother Xxxxxxxxxx,"

3. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

This had never occurred to me! Good info.

4. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

When in doubt, err on the side of courtesy

Ripcord22A, Blake Bowden and Bloke like this.
  5. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

"Passed 11/4/2016"

Welcome again to the family twice adopted Brother.

Either of your suggested forms of address work fine.

6. The Traveling Man

The Traveling Man Registered User

When addressing a WM or PM in Masonic correspondence it's good to use Worshipful Bro.

Sent from my SM-G930P using My Freemasonry mobile app

BullDozer Harrell likes this.
  7. BullDozer Harrell

BullDozer Harrell Registered User

Young Masonic Jedi, you shall learn protocol here and prosper. But seriously though, it's respectful to always address a Brother with his appropriate prefixed title.

I made a serious blunder when i was still a newbie. I thought that since 'we all meet on the level' as i kept hearing so frequently, I would call our District Deputy Grand Master simply Brother Blanks during one of his official lodge visits. Oh my god, you would've swore i cussed the man out.

Several Past Masters immediately jumped up to apologize. But the DDGM was cool about it. He told me later that he knew i was new, and that the PMs were overreacting as usual.

Android OS Nougat 7.0

Dow Mathis, GGG, Ripcord22A and 3 others like this.
  8. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Maybe, but I believe the Scotts for instance, a PM there is just "Brother" not Worshipful Brother while a sitting Master is Rt WBro

It's does vary by jurisdiction...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    tldubb likes this.
  9. The Traveling Man

The Traveling Man Registered User

This true. As with most things, it usually depends on Jurisdiction.

Sent from my SM-G930P using My Freemasonry mobile app

MRichard likes this.
  10. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Glen is right though, better to be over courteous than familiar... "yo bro" is good enough for me but might not meet others expectations :) , but "Dear Sir and Brother.." is always a respectful start.

11. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Exactly. Times I've been in the line the officers tended to say "Worsh". Times I've been in the east I've been happy with my officers calling me "Worsh". More formal with less well known Brothers though.

tldubb likes this.
  12. Canadian Paul

Canadian Paul Registered User

In a Scottish lodge all brethren are addressed simply as 'Brother'. Titles are attached only to the Offices they bear. If holding an office they are referred to as 'Office-bearers', not 'Officers'. The Master's title of office is 'Right Worshipful Master' but he is addressed simply as 'Brother So-and-so'. Also, the wardens' titles are 'Worshipful Senior Warden' and the 'Worshipful Junior Warden' but they also are addressed simply as 'Brother'.

As a Past Master of my mother lodge I am still only 'Brother Miller', but may put the initials "PM" (for 'past master') after my name.

To add to the confusion, as a past master of a lodge under the GL of Newfoundland and Labrador, which follows UGLE practice, I am also 'Worshipful Brother Miller'!

Bloke and Ripcord22A like this.
  13. Mark S

Mark S Registered User

Thank you. Some insightfull information shared. I hope I have not ruined my chances with my introduction e-mail to a local Lodge with my first sentence. I may have introduced myself a little too informal.

Sent from my SM-N910C using My Freemasonry mobile app

14. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Staff Member

When in doubt, use "Honorable Sir". It is hard to go wrong there.

E-Mail etiquette is not all that different than conventional mail, and letter writing.

15. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Welll, as someone who has occasion to wrote formal letters, maybe just Dear Sir, or Sir.

Ripcord22A and Bro. Stewart P.M. like this.
  16. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

17. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Don't worry about it, if you're sunk by a reasonable start in your email, look at it as a blessing and being guided to find a better lodge :)

Mark S likes this.
  18. Keith C

Keith C Registered User

I wouldn't worry.

As you are not yet a Brother you are not yet under any obligation towards the WM. When I went to my first dinner at the Lodge before I petitioned the WM came and introduced himself and said "Hi, I'm Joe, glad you could come out!"

LK600, Bloke and Mark S like this.

Share My Freemasonry