My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

food for thought....

Bro-greg

As a mason I believe we are all striving to be better however, if one has questionable behavior he or she will be found out in due time

HoldenMonty

This was the "sunday school" answer when I was in when somebody asked what integrity means... and that you learn a lot about a person about what they do when nobody is watching but I would add to it that you also learn the measure of a man by what he does the right thing even when it isn't the popular thing to do. For example the one Stealers player that stood in the tunnel with his hand over his heart when the rest of the team stayed in the locker room until after the national anthem.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
This was the "sunday school" answer when I was in when somebody asked what integrity means... and that you learn a lot about a person about what they do when nobody is watching but I would add to it that you also learn the measure of a man by what he does the right thing even when it isn't the popular thing to do. For example the one Stealers player that stood in the tunnel with his hand over his heart when the rest of the team stayed in the locker room until after the national anthem.

Alrjandro Villanueva isn’t just “a Steelers player”. He’s a US ARMY RANGER

Bloke

Premium Member
Abusers are extremely secretive. If my ex-wife had not drunk dialed my family to apologize for beating me, they would not have found out until I called them with my new address when I escaped. Back then only a few of the Brothers at lodge knew what I was going through. They helped me prepare to escape and when the time came they helped me move out.

Most of my ex's friends to this day think she's the nicest party girl in town. hey have no idea what happens behind closed doors.
Also sorry to read of this Brother, but glad you left.

Bloke

Premium Member
Yes I am a mason and really you think that is the measure of a man? What he does when no ones around? What he does in public is less than his other works? Hypothetically Gahndi for example amazing things but was awful to his wife and MLK would habitually cheat on his wife.
The meme is very simplistic and a life spent trying to improve oneself can’t be summarised in a quip. In my opinion
Look into those examples for yourself as I’m no historian and there is a bit of controversy around them how true they are I have no idea but good food for thought.
I think the quote is about what a man does guided by his own integrity and values when no one is watching and the only judge of him will be himself (and the GAOTU, of you think the GAUTU observes and judges actions). I don't think its a quip, I think it's a very important statement.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Yeah, the meme is simplistic for sure. What I get from it is that your true character is not what you cautiously do in public. Your true character is what you do when you're not in the public view and no longer putting up a façade.

It's unfortunate that this meme used the term "true test". It's not a true test. It's your true character. Your true character is acted out when you let your guard down, drop the façade and do what you would normally do free from the scrutiny of public eyes and the consequences thereof.

Bloke

Premium Member
Yeah, the meme is simplistic for sure. What I get from it is that your true character is not what you cautiously do in public. Your true character is what you do when you're not in the public view and no longer putting up a façade.

It's unfortunate that this meme used the term "true test". It's not a true test. It's your true character. Your true character is acted out when you let your guard down, drop the façade and do what you would normally do free from the scrutiny of public eyes and the consequences thereof.

I think it is a really good meme, and can convey the tools to face a true test. I am sure as someone in a fiduciary position of trust, you've had the chance to do the wrong and the right thing where no one would probably know, and doing the wrong thing would give you advantage, yet you've done the right thing simply because it is right. It's when no one is watching that Character gets truly tested.

The message might be simple, but so are many in Freemasonry. As an oral teaching tradition, it is advantageous to make our complex messages simple. Like the simple words "Brotherhood", "Honour" and "Fraternity" , these are simple single words, but what is needed to discharge them as obligations can be complex and difficult but rather than have a thesis on these we use single words, but they are built upon by the whole system of our degree lessons.