My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Homosexual and Bisexual Brother Masons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason653

Thoughts/Opinions. Keep it clean. Honest, and Open. I'm just want to hear brothers experience with this or if there are brothers who are on here. Also how do you receive/treat a brother who would be one of the above sexualities?

Your Brother 357

Freemason Connect Mobile

Last edited by a moderator:

daviddenboer

Re: Gay and Bi Brother Masons

I'd treat them as a human being, being a vertical ally I support the glbt community. I have met brothers who are in that category and as a fc I was taught freemasonry was open to all but atheists. Some lodges may be more strict however but I don't know of any.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Mason653

Let me just add. Also what do you say to the applicant who is gay or bi? How would that affect the ballot? Should they receive a free cold beer? or would personal bias get in the way? Please try not to be mean. I'm just wondering. Been on my mind.

Your Brother 357

Freemason Connect Mobile

Mason653

I'd treat them as a human being, being a vertical ally I support the glbt community. I have met brothers who are in that category and as a fc I was taught freemasonry was open to all but atheists. Some lodges may be more strict however but I don't know of any.

Freemason Connect Mobile

You're a good man. Thanks for being a great example of a true mason.

Some are old school. Also some brothers are....you know? I know we are trying to all be better men though.

Your Brother 357

Freemason Connect Mobile

widows son

Premium Member
Being gay or bi sexual has nothing to do with Freemasonry.

Another persons sexual orientation is none of my business. I respect good people period.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member

Thoughts/Opinions. Keep it clean. Honest, and Open. I'm just want to hear brothers experience with this or if there are brothers who are on here. Also how do you receive/treat a brother who would be one of the above sexualities?

Your Brother 357

Freemason Connect Mobile

Personal view, it has NOTHING to do with the fraternity of Freemasonry. The question should never come up by application or interview, and has no physical relavance with any part of the fraternity. Period. Ask any Brother that has really known me for any length of time, they will tell you that I have had my share of experience with this subject.

Now, let me say this ONCE. I will closely monitor this discussion. If I feel that any one person at anytime turns this into anything more than a properly formed discussion or debate, I will shut this topic down and will discipline accordingly the individuals responsible for letting it get out of hand. Period.

El Dud3rino

Being an artist I have had a lot of GLBT friends and artist I have known and worked with. Never an issue. They know if someone is or is not. Found them to be more in touch with reality then others.

As a mason, I would not have an issue with them in a lodge setting, or any where. If masons are going to embrace the very nature of the fraternity I would think they too should have no problem with them either.

This being said there will always be people that try to disrupt harmony. In that case we should rely on what we have learned in masonry and over come the issue with light.

Brother Joel
FC Mason
Epes Randolph Lodge #32
Tucson AZ

otherstar

I don't see a problem. If they are good men, believe in a Supreme Being, then whose business is it who they choose to be intimate with?

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member

Gay marriage is legal in California now is not?

I am not sure what relevance that gay marriage has to the discussion at hand. How would that affect a Brother's personal view towards homosexual membership?

Maybe I am the confused.

Heart of Stone

I don't have a problem with gay men, but I don't want it in my lodge.

Freemason Connect Mobile

crono782

Premium Member

I would treat him no differently. If we are to truly meet on the level, and regard neither race, religion, nor creed, then why should we treat sexual preference any different?

Freemason Connect Mobile

Last edited:

dfreybur

Premium Member

Just to check - Folks are aware that you can't tell unless you're told, right? There's no such thing as a "gaydar" that works. Somewhere in the range of 1-10% of the population aren't straight and anyone not told doesn't know which 1-10% of the people who they know are. Think about that a bit. If you know several hundred brothers like you're active in many lodges and other events, there are brothers who are not "out of the closet" who you know the person but not the orientation. Because bi was included in the topic you can't even eliminate married brothers with children from consideration. You also can't eliminate gay married men with children because you don't know if they are out to their wives.

As to folks who are "out of the closet" I've never read any rule about it. Up to you how you would ballot based on that and no one can ever ask you how you balloted or why. We teach to have values but we don't teach what those values are to be.

widows son

Premium Member
Gay and Bi Brother Masons

"I am not sure what relevance that gay marriage has to the discussion at hand. How would that affect a Brother's personal view towards homosexual membership?"

• It doesn't, I was just curious.

mike97

What difference should it make? As long as a man is a just and upright man when they begin their journey, they will remain a just and upright man. A persons sexual preference should not make any difference to any other person.

Of course, this is my opinion.
Freemason Connect Mobile

Heart of Stone

I don't have a problem with the gay community, I just think if that individual was openly out and flamboyant with it, it could be a problem with the straight brothers.

Freemason Connect Mobile

mike97

Is it masonry about tolerance?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Freemasonry mobile app

Plustax

I think what bothers me most of all this topic us using the word "gay". Persons who prefer same sex partners are either Homosexual or Lesbian.... That's all there is to it. The word "gay" was a perfectly good word in tge English language thst meant happy about 30yrs ago. Now because of our society not wanting to hurt peoples feelings or wanting to be "politically correct" we "bastardize" our American language. Be that as it may... Due to society still not 100% in favor of homosexuality, I don't believe that lodges will probably never fully accept it if it's made widely known as to who prefers a same sex partner.

MarkR

Premium Member

Devil's advocate question: what if a brother's religion teaches that homosexuality is a sin? Would you expect that brother to support a sinner for membership?

rmcgehee

I was the Chaplin at the funeral of a "gay" member of our Lodge.I did not know he was gay until the ffuneral and it made no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.