Interested in YR but NOT KT

Discussion in 'The York Rite' started by David Alexander, Jul 18, 2016.

1. David Alexander

David Alexander Registered User

I'm interested in doing the YR degrees but not in doing the Knights Templar. Is this possible? I'm in Houston, Texas, BTW. The local YR web site seems to have bad contact links, and I'm at a loss as to how to proceed.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Pro

2. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

Yes you certainly can. The Houston York Rite meets at the Holland Lodge building on the 2nd Monday as far as I know.
    Check http://www.yorkritetexas.org/chapter/info-Chapter-list.php

You'll most likely get the option of taking all the degrees at an upcoming Festival or you can ask to have them done individually. I'd greatly suggest to take them as individual ones though it'll take longer.

Chaz likes this.
  3. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

York Rite has separate bodies. A fair number of Brothers join Chapter and Council but not Commandry.

4. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

just curious, im not a YR mason BTW, but what makes you not want to join the commandry?

5. Winter

Winter Premium Member

A common reason that many Masons, including myself, might not want to join Commandary is they are not Christian and would not feel comfortable in a Christian appendant body.

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

6. Ripcord22A

true, but I've been told that some commandrys only require you to declare that you would defend the Christian faith.

I am a Christian and I have no problem defending anyone's religion. Even in todays global climate I speak out in defense of Islam all the time

7. Winter

Winter Premium Member

True. But it doesn't mean those members would be comfortable in a Christian masonic group or wearing Christian symbols on their uniform or regalia.

8. Ripcord22A

Agreed.

9. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Here in Kentucky you can go as far as you want in the York Rite and stop where you are at any time.

10. Companion Joe

Companion Joe Premium Member

You can always stop where you want; you just can't start where you want (i.e.: you couldn't skip the Chapter and go straight into the Council).

Warrior1256 likes this.
  11. Warrior1256

Right.

12. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

I know a number of Companions who didn't take the Orders for religious reasons. And there is more to it than just "defend the Christian Faith."
    I also know Companions who refuse to join solely because of the American KT uniform.

13. Warrior1256

Do you mean because of the cost involved?

14. Winter

Winter Premium Member

I believe he means because of the Christian crosses on the hat, coat, sword, etc. I know companions who will not join for that reason as well.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  15. Warrior1256

Thanks for the clarification. I can certainly understand why a member of another faith would feel this way. I saw on a forum, I think it was this one, that a Jewish brother joined the Knights as he did not have to profess to the Christian faith, he only had to swear to defend the Christian faith. He said that he had no problem with this as he was sure that his Christian Brothers would also defend the Jewish faith.

16. Brother JC

No, that's not it at all. They would be happy to west the sash and mantle, both of which have crosses and are styled in a more chivalric manner.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  17. Brother JC

No, they find it ludicrous. It does nothing to convey the image of a "Knight Templar."

Warrior1256 likes this.
  18. Winter

Winter Premium Member

Oh, well disregard my comment then. But I do know Brothers who are not Christian and would not join so as to not wear the emblems of another faith. Even with the current liberal attitude towards the oath.

19. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

You have peaked my interest by your comments. If you don't mind me asking brother, what is your religious belief ?

Glen Cook likes this.
  20. Ressam

Ressam Registered User

Greetings, Mr.Warrior!
    Could You, please, explain -- what do you mean by saying: "Defend Faith"?
    Thank You!

Share My Freemasonry