Interesting perspectives

Discussion in 'History and Research' started by BullDozer Harrell, Jun 30, 2017.

1. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

I disagree. It's fairly easy to know when someone is making an assumption when it takes them down flights of fancy that have nothing to do with what is put forth and they clearly do not know it.
    Mackey played to an audience. He was no less an actor than most other members of his time.
    Freemasonry points to the science. It is not the science.
    "If" assumes much. You once again misunderstand. The term "morality" used within this context is not veiled. It is simply misunderstood by uninformed readers.
    Stage productions all. The price of admission is joining. But all that you'll get from joining as it relates to the subject at hand is a map to find the science; not the science itself.

2. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

I have often wondered how the brethren determined which words are veiled and which are not. I think that you have demonstrated quite well how that is done.

An interesting proposition with which I somewhat agree. Aspects of the Masonic science itself can be found in the ritual practice. For example the rhythms of the knocks in the various craft degrees.

3. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

I like this too.
    True, although this has NEVER happened to me (snicker snicker).

Bill Lins likes this.
  4. FriendshipCube

FriendshipCube Registered User

"Remove not the ancient landmark which thy fathers have set."
    -Proverbs 22​

5. SimonM

SimonM Registered User

Ok, but is it possible to add a new landmark or change an existing one?

6. coachn

Yep!
    Of course!

SimonM likes this.
  7. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

....once they have told us what that landmark is.

Bill Lins and SimonM like this.
  8. SimonM

SimonM Registered User

Sounds like we will have an ever expanding number of landmarks as people will add new ones to the already existing :)

9. coachn

Not likely. More likely that they will change to suit the times.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  10. SimonM

SimonM Registered User

So what will remain is the number of landmarks, but the content of them will change.. not really what you think of when you hear the term "ancient landmarks" :)

11. Kenneth Munn

Kenneth Munn Registered User

Greetings Brethren, Mr. Blake I would definitely agree with you. If any one has been in the industrial apprenticeship trades, Plumbing/Pipefitting, Welding, Machinist and Tool and Die etc. you would notice the heavy symbolism as well as the similarities. We are taught character building, how to treat our fellow brother, how to separate unjust work from just work (real and unreal) and we are taught gradually how the liberal arts are within the sacredness of the trade.(Internal make up of the individual) while evolving from one class(degree) to the next. When we finish(raised) of course we are invested with our diploma(lambskin) and yes we do have a ceremony just as well. In my research for the youth I use this model to bridge the gap. The gap was disproportionally widen when NAFTA came on the scene. Some of my work is devoted to the Trades and the Young Future a paper and book that I'm putting together to reach the technical hands on minds of tomorrow.

12. Warrior1256

True!
    Oooooookayyyyyyyyy!

13. grayflannelsuit

grayflannelsuit Premium Member

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I ran across this today while going down an etymological rabbit hole and am intrigued. Coach (or anyone else), regarding the original meaning of the word peculiar - while I certainly do not dispute the correctness of this, how can we be certain that this is the definition of "peculiar" meant in the well-known peculiar system of morality slogan? Since this slogan almost certainly was first espoused after "peculiar" also came to be a synonym for "unusual," which was the early 17th century, what leads you to believe it is the definition of private property that was meant?

14. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

Mackey refers to "science of morality"

"The definition of Freemasonry that it is "a science of morality, veiled in allegory, and illustrated by symbols," has been so often quoted, that, were it not for its beauty, it would become wearisome." The Symbolism of Freemasonry p4

This science might explain why the morality is veiled from the brethren. Usually morality is not veiled thereby enabling the followers to practice it more easily.

Sciences allow great effects from small actions.

15. coachn

Simply look at how rabidly the organization has tried to keep it under lock and key...

Warrior1256 likes this.
  16. Warrior1256

coachn; I'm a little intellectually challenged right now. Don't quite understand this. Please explain.

17. coachn

Look at the mechanics! The organization did everything in the beginning to protect these plays from outsiders and to keep these plays privately owned and out of the hands of non-members. It still does. If that doesn't scream private ownership, I don't know what does.

Warrior1256 and Bloke like this.
  18. Warrior1256

Got it. Thanks.

19. Luigi Visentin

Luigi Visentin Registered User

I have read this post of some time ago and I'm sorry but I cannot agree about this point: Freemasonry is a science ... but in the old meaning of this word, not in the modern (that is from Galileo to present time). We can discuss about how much of the old meaning has been conserved and I can agree in the fact that from beginning of 1700 some things have been changed, but the basics are still existing.

20. grayflannelsuit

grayflannelsuit Premium Member

While the argument is compelling it's ultimately circumstantial if that's the case for defining "peculiar" in this manner.

Share My Freemasonry