Is Christianity really compatible with Freemasonry?

Discussion in 'Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality' started by jjjjjggggg, Jul 23, 2014.

1. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

Personally I prefer blue. I miss the old days when people who preferred red were hunted down and burned at the stake.

Chaz and dfreybur like this.
  2. goomba

goomba Neo-Antient Site Benefactor

Sir I find this offensive. I am a red and darn nabbit I'm proud of it! But what about the oranges?

But seriously I would be considered an Evangelical Christian. Not only do I find zero, nothing zip, within Masonry to conflict with my faith; I actually find that it enhances it! Which is one thing I think it is suppose to do for each of us. YMMV.

3. Attila Weinberger

Attila Weinberger Registered User

I second that !!!

4. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Is Christianity really compatible with Freemasonry?

Of course it is. Further more Freemasonry is compatible with Christianity. At least, in the forms that I practice both. Your mileage may vary.

JVan357 and dalinkou like this.
  5. JVan357

JVan357 Registered User

Yes yes yes my brother!!!

6. Isaih

Isaih Registered User

I don't think any official Christianity is compatible with true Christianity, these days.
    At least the sacharine nonsense I've heard preached in the church.

So why not be a mason too?

To my understanding, Christianity is a path that Paul took, where he describes his battles to come out of the world of sin.

In order to achieve that I've learnt that I can't do it by my own strength of character, but must give up my will to god.

Which is easier said than done. And whilst I have failed at this point to achieve that personally, I wonder if it could ever be achieved when you have other loyalties. Or play loose with the word of god.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  7. admarcus1

admarcus1 Registered User

I impressed that after centuries of thinkers, writers, theologians, students, teachers,madmen and fools pondering, arguing, researching, and debating what it is to be a true Christian, you have definitively solved the puzzle. My Christian Bretheren are very fortunate indeed that you have found this forum.

Now if only someone can do the same for Judaism, I'll be all set.

Bill Lins and AndreAshlar like this.
  8. BryanMaloney

BryanMaloney Premium Member

The irony is delicious, to read you praising someone so highly when this SAME person also is totally convinced that the Pope and Freemasons are conspiring together to destroy democratic governments and rule the world. As far as he is concerned, Freemasonry is the enemy of humanity. Irony can be so lovely.

9. admarcus1

Please tell be you are kidding, Brother Bryan. Please, please tell me you didn't think I was being serious, that I believe that after centuries of thinkers.........this one guy has found the answer. Read my first sentence again. The statement is ridiculous on its face. In your defense, you cannot hear the voice in my head that is dripping with sarcasm, but even so, I thought it was pretty clear.

Bill Lins likes this.
  10. Isaih

Isaih Registered User

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  11. admarcus1

I would never have imagined that the same guy who could sweep away all the errant Christian denomination and schools of thought but the one true one would so easily reveal the key to the errors of the Jewish people in 5 simple verses from the book of Daniel, sweeping away 2000 years of Rabbinic Judaism, and all its offshoots.

I guess I was asking for it.

It must truly be nice to be so sure, and so clear, so confident that you understand perfectly what countless numbers have struggled with for generations upon generations.

Here is a thought, Isaih. You know the truth, so you are clearly not here to learn anything new. There would be nothing here for you to learn. You seem like a serious person, so I am guessing you are not here for your own amusement (and what kind of person amuses himself with the ignorance of others, after all). You must be here to teach then, to share what you have learned, that perfect truth. Well, you have tried valiantly, but clearly those on this forum are unwilling to listen. Whether it is due to an intellectual deficit or a darker force, it seems clear from the posts responding to you on numerous threads that you are wasting your time. I suggest that your teaching would bear more fruit elsewhere.

P.S. That first sentence was sarcasm. Just in case anyone missed it and interpreted it as additional praise.

Bill Lins and Morris like this.
  12. Isaih

Isaih Registered User

Admarcus I was amused, no need to explain your tone.
    I will take your advice.

13. BryanMaloney

I have autism. Sarcasm and I are only passing acquaintances, I'm afraid. So, I completely fell for it.

coachn likes this.
  14. admarcus1

That would explain it. If I have further sarcastic comments, I will tag them with a winking smiley face. And I am not being the least sarcastic when I say that. Tone is difficult to get across in a discussion forum under the best of circumstances.

Bill Lins and Morris like this.
  15. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

It is entertaining to hear some of the lunacy that some antis think of as perfectly legitimate arguments. I attend a Free Methodist church and this church has a anti-Masoic bias. When I had decided to join the Craft I went to my pastor to inform him of this and ask if this was going to cause me a problem at church. He assured me that it would not and that has been the case. I am a new Mason having been raised on 04 Aug 14. I can honestly say that I have not been asked to say or do anything that I would be ashamed to say or do in front of my wife or pastor.

16. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

As I understand it, in the 18th century in England there was an attempt to move from a Theist (Christian) form of Masonry to a Deist form (an impersonal God). This movement seems to have gone particularly well in France where currently there are forms of Masonry that do not require any religious belief. In some countries however, Sweden and the US come to mind, Masonry seems to have held strongly to a Theist form.

A Theist form of Masonry seems to me to be less than universal, making it difficult for some human groups to enter, for example Buddhists. And if the Theist form is based on the traditions of a small national group, then it must be even further from universal.

Also, a Theist form of Masonry runs the risk of declining with the decline in religious practice in the community.

My personal preference is for a Deist form - accessing blessings through the functional title (url) of the GAOTU. Referring to this as a url raises the prospect of titles (urls) being hijacked as happens on the web. Use of a functional rather than personal title makes the invocation more robust (true). This is particularly relevant if the VSL has been subject to centuries of religious edit.

17. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

>I have trouble imagining more inclusiveness than that.

Perhaps not every candidate likes swearing or having sacred books.

What would Freemasonry look like in a country that had never had an organized religion?

18. BryanMaloney

Perhaps not every would-be candidate is a man. Do you see where that leads?

19. goomba

goomba Neo-Antient Site Benefactor

And then Masonry isn't Masonry but it's something else. Not necessarily something bad but something else than what it once was.

dalinkou likes this.
  20. JohnnyFlotsam

JohnnyFlotsam Premium Member

To... equality?
    Mind, I am not taking the "let's open mainstream Masonry to women" stance, but I see a rather important distinction between a candidate's beliefs re. Deity and whether or not said candidate is sporting certain anatomy. I will likely never sit in Lodge with two of the finest Masons I have ever known because of anatomy, but other than that distinction, there's nothing that makes them less of a Mason. By the same token, I don't really care what label is affixed to the nature of a candidate's belief, as long as he has that belief. Without it, he (or she) would indeed be that much less of a Mason.

Share My Freemasonry