My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maundy Thursday

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Going to my first Maundy Thursday this evening. I just have an abstract idea of what to expect so am really looking forward to it.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Haven't been to one yet but from what I understand it is a pre-Easter ceremony. I've only been a member of the AASR for 4 months.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Haven't been to one yet but from what I understand it is a pre-Easter ceremony. I've only been a member of the AASR for 4 months.

I didn't learn of it until I moved to an northern jurisdiction state maybe 6 years after my class. Maybe a bigger deal in that jurisdiction?

Canadian Paul

In Canada the Maundy Thursday ceremony of "Tenebrae', or 'the Extinguishing of the Lights' and the Easter Sunday ceremony of 'Lux E Tenebrae', or 'the Relighting of the Lights' are an important part of the Chapters of Rose Croix. My Valley has for many years had the latter as an 'open' ceremony with family and friends invited. As many brethren are involved in family gatherings on Easter Sunday two years ago we began holding that ceremony on the following Saturday morning, preceded by a breakfast. Personally I consider them two of the most impressive and moving ceremonies I have experienced in freemasonry.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
In Canada the Maundy Thursday ceremony of "Tenebrae', or 'the Extinguishing of the Lights' and the Easter Sunday ceremony of 'Lux E Tenebrae', or 'the Relighting of the Lights' are an important part of the Chapters of Rose Croix. My Valley has for many years had the latter as an 'open' ceremony with family and friends invited. As many brethren are involved in family gatherings on Easter Sunday two years ago we began holding that ceremony on the following Saturday morning, preceded by a breakfast. Personally I consider them two of the most impressive and moving ceremonies I have experienced in freemasonry.
We have the Extinguishing of the Lights as a private ceremony with AASR members only. The Relighting ceremony is open to family members.

Last edited:

Canadian Paul

On Saturday April 2nd we held our Easter Ceremony in the morning, preceded by a breakfast. As is our custom it was an open ceremony. We had one of the largest attendance in years and many positive comments by family and friends attending on the ceremony itself. Indeed, a morning of 'profit and pleasure'.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
On Saturday April 2nd we held our Easter Ceremony in the morning, preceded by a breakfast. As is our custom it was an open ceremony. We had one of the largest attendance in years and many positive comments by family and friends attending on the ceremony itself. Indeed, a morning of 'profit and pleasure'.
Great!