My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Millennials

JJones

I disagree that this award is the same as everyone gets a trophy. I don't know the exact requirememnts for it but it seems that the brother that gets awarded it had to do "something" above and beyond his peers. there for he gets recognized for it. Even if that "something" is spearheading the annual pancake breakfast.

I don't know, when everybody receives the same thing then that thing loses it's value IMO. In hindsight maybe it's not the best example in regards to the topic bit I feel it's not much different.

Last edited:

Bloke

Premium Member
Well think about military awards...take the Army Commendation award, everyone that gets it gets the same award but are awarded for different reasons

Well, those not in the Army do not get it, just like those who do not go through the East do not get the award in question. For me, it's like the title "Brother" - every Freemason may hold it, but you must earn it every day and in terms of service, contribution and perhaps merit, not all brothers are equal...

I've not go a problem with "everyone gets an award" if they have completed the task the award is awarded for. Military guys will have service ribbons, some have purple hearts, even less have MOH. Sounds like the Golden Trowel is a service award, not an award of special service or merit. Here, almost every lodge will give a IPM a Past Masters Medal. You get a 50 Year Jewel regardless if you are the largest contributor or someone who never went to lodge but kept paying dues, you just need to realise what the Golden Trowel is; a service award marking you have been through the chair - regardless of how well you did it.

Bloke

Premium Member
Do you find the purported Millenial traits as prevalent among those who have served in the military? I haven't in my experience.

I generally find the guys who have been through the military are often good guys to be around, millennials or not.

JJones

I've not go a problem with "everyone gets an award" if they have completed the task the award is awarded for.

Sometimes the task is nothing more than 'show up' though.

I agree that most people that have served in the armed forces seem much less entitled than those who haven't. Things may be changing though. My last day in the Air Force was a little more than ten years ago and they were trying to change up a lot of things back then.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
you just need to realise what the Golden Trowel is; a service award marking you have been through the chair - regardless of how well you did it.
Although some Lodges treat it as such, the guidance from the Grand Lodge states otherwise. It is intended only for those Brethren who go way above & beyond the normal duties of whatever position they may hold in the Lodge. It is NOT intended to be awarded every year, but only when a Brother is truly deserving. Some of our Lodges just don't read the instructions. :(

The Golden Trowel Award As Revised May 1, 2009 • Since its inception the Golden Trowel Award continues to be an exciting means for Lodges to recognize and honor distinguished members with an official award from the Grand Lodge of Texas. It is for use by all Texas Lodges.

The Golden Trowel is the Lodge’s formal recognition of a Brother for his devoted service to Masonic principles in general or to his Lodge. It is intended for the Brother who, year after year, quietly, but actively demonstrates his devotion to the teachings of Masonry without thought of recognition or special honors.

Every Lodge has such members. They spread the living cement that builds our Fraternity into a true Brotherhood. • You will find them at labor in the kitchens, on the work committees, in public office, on community projects, in service clubs, heavily involved in their church activities and in schools – anywhere that a true and steady hand of assistance is needed.

It is to those Master Craftsmen that the Golden Trowel Award is designated as the highest Award a Lodge can bestow upon an individual member. • This award is not intended to replace or supersede any individual recognition award already established by a Lodge. It provides the advantages of a single, official award, which is recognized statewide.

Requirements

1. Recipients of the award will be chosen by a Golden Trowel Committee appointed by the Worshipful Master at the beginning of the Masonic year. The Committee will be comprised of three of the five most immediate, and available, living Past Masters of the Lodge. Their responsibility is to review the activities of all members to determine if any qualify for this high honor. If none qualify, then no award should be made.

2. A Lodge may vote to name any Lodge member the committee feels is truly worthy, of this special award. It should not be made for routine Masonic activities. A member who has served as Master or a Warden is not eligible for the award until three years after the date he completes his term.

3. No more than one Golden Trowel Award may be presented by the Lodge during any Masonic year.

4. The Award must be presented at an open meeting of the Lodge called for that purpose alone. This is to assure that absolutely nothing takes away from or diminishes the importance of this most prestigious award.

5. Any appropriate individual may make the award presentation.

6. The Lodge should make a genuine effort to properly publicize the open meeting in its local media and, without fail, other Lodges in the vicinity should be notified and invited to attend. All Lodges should make special efforts to help other Lodges in their vicinity to honor members by attending their Golden Trowel Award presentations. Such broad support lends additional dignity and importance to the award and increases the opportunity for publicity for the event.

7. When a candidate for the award is chosen, the Lodge should enter the information about the award in its official minutes.

8. The Lodge must send the form to the Grand Secretary. The award will be sent to the Lodge secretary. Please allow four weeks for receipt of the materials. Use care and be very selective in choosing recipients for this award so that its importance is demonstrated in your Lodge at the very highest level.

Make the award only when a member truly deserves it.

Bloke

Premium Member
Here, there are basically four types of recognition a lodge will give you;

PM Medal - given as a matter of course (but not right) to an IPM, but some lodges decide not to buy one when the guy has done a bad job - but it is rare. *sometimes* the quality of the medal will reflect the budget the lodge sets - ie - go and buy cheap one, go and buy an ubber good one.. the budget reflects how well you were seen to perform... most don't notice that, but I have...
(Conferred) Grand Rank Nomination - rare, it acknowledges merit and length of service
Special member - Free of dues but you have voting rights, for service, but its also used to financially help a bro. If young, it might be given for a period of time (2-5 years in lodges I am involved in).
Honourary member - Free of dues, but dues not payable and no voting rights.

Bloke

Premium Member
Although some Lodges treat it as such, the guidance from the Grand Lodge states otherwise. It is intended only for those Brethren who go way above & beyond the normal duties of whatever position they may hold in the Lodge. It is NOT intended to be awarded every year, but only when a Brother is truly deserving. Some of our Lodges just don't read the instructions. :(

The Golden Trowel Award As Revised May 1, 2009 • Since its inception the Golden Trowel Award continues to be an exciting means for Lodges to recognize and honor distinguished members with an official award from the Grand Lodge of Texas. It is for use by all Texas Lodges.

The Golden Trowel is the Lodge’s formal recognition of a Brother for his devoted service to Masonic principles in general or to his Lodge. It is intended for the Brother who, year after year, quietly, but actively demonstrates his devotion to the teachings of Masonry without thought of recognition or special honors.

Every Lodge has such members. They spread the living cement that builds our Fraternity into a true Brotherhood. • You will find them at labor in the kitchens, on the work committees, in public office, on community projects, in service clubs, heavily involved in their church activities and in schools – anywhere that a true and steady hand of assistance is needed.

It is to those Master Craftsmen that the Golden Trowel Award is designated as the highest Award a Lodge can bestow upon an individual member. • This award is not intended to replace or supersede any individual recognition award already established by a Lodge. It provides the advantages of a single, official award, which is recognized statewide.

Requirements

1. Recipients of the award will be chosen by a Golden Trowel Committee appointed by the Worshipful Master at the beginning of the Masonic year. The Committee will be comprised of three of the five most immediate, and available, living Past Masters of the Lodge. Their responsibility is to review the activities of all members to determine if any qualify for this high honor. If none qualify, then no award should be made.

2. A Lodge may vote to name any Lodge member the committee feels is truly worthy, of this special award. It should not be made for routine Masonic activities. A member who has served as Master or a Warden is not eligible for the award until three years after the date he completes his term.

3. No more than one Golden Trowel Award may be presented by the Lodge during any Masonic year.

4. The Award must be presented at an open meeting of the Lodge called for that purpose alone. This is to assure that absolutely nothing takes away from or diminishes the importance of this most prestigious award.

5. Any appropriate individual may make the award presentation.

6. The Lodge should make a genuine effort to properly publicize the open meeting in its local media and, without fail, other Lodges in the vicinity should be notified and invited to attend. All Lodges should make special efforts to help other Lodges in their vicinity to honor members by attending their Golden Trowel Award presentations. Such broad support lends additional dignity and importance to the award and increases the opportunity for publicity for the event.

7. When a candidate for the award is chosen, the Lodge should enter the information about the award in its official minutes.

8. The Lodge must send the form to the Grand Secretary. The award will be sent to the Lodge secretary. Please allow four weeks for receipt of the materials. Use care and be very selective in choosing recipients for this award so that its importance is demonstrated in your Lodge at the very highest level.

Make the award only when a member truly deserves it.

Thanks - much clearer now...

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Screaming and verbal abuse was already out when I arrived at Navy boot camp in 1978. So I guess it's nice to see you green guys catching up. ;^)

The effect of a scowl and a deep "Stop right there" had the same effect from my Company Commander in boot camp that it did from my Dad when I was a tot. Very paternal effect. Very effective.

You must have gone to San Diego. When I went to book camp in 1989, it was was very much in fashion. For two months I thought my name was "dick weed" or "f****t." Heck, the day before boot camp graduation I got my fingers stepped on by a SEAL because he didn't like the position of my hands for the final pushup test.

dfreybur

Premium Member
You must have gone to San Diego. When I went to book camp in 1989, it was was very much in fashion. For two months I thought my name was "dick weed" or "f****t." Heck, the day before boot camp graduation I got my fingers stepped on by a SEAL because he didn't like the position of my hands for the final pushup test.

I was at Glakes in 1978. Maybe my experience was the last gasp of Zumwaldt. Maybe it was just a few really good CCs.

I still picture BMC B L Arndt shaking his head at us when we didn't do the right thing or nodding at us when we did the right thing. Just like Dad never angry and never needing to be. The respect we were treated with left an impression on me far longer lasting than being called names ever could have. An experience in common with lodge.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Sometimes the task is nothing more than 'show up' though.

I think back to special military award license plates I've seen. Purple Heart. Legion of Merit. Distinguished Flying Cross. Bronze Star. Every so often even a Silver Star. Or the other type that's not an award - Gold Star Spouse.

The other day I saw a Meritorious Service Medal plate. Say what? The Navy handed me one of those at one point and I'm still puzzled why. Apparently MSM are traditionally issued to folks who do a good job and show a good attitude but by luck of the draw end up all peace zone service. Showing up is important - Tons of people never petition or never enlist and plenty of those who do either flake out. Lots show up but never get ordered into a war zone.

But, on a license plate? If "everyone gets a medal" the MSM and Good Conduct are the ones they get.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
But, on a license plate? If "everyone gets a medal" the MSM and Good Conduct are the ones they get.

Inncorrect sir at lease in the Army.
the MSM is a huge deal. Its the peace time equivalent of the Bronze Star Medal. In the Army the show up and dont get introuble awards the Good conduct(every three yrs u get one as long as u didnt F up) amd the Army Achievement Medal. The latter is usually reserved for lower enlisted whe they move to a new duty assignmemt, the loosing unit will give it to them to thank them for their service. E5s and up in leadership positions usuallly get the Army Comendation Medal for the same reason. Very rarely will an MSM be hahded out in these scenarios. You gotta go above and beyond expectations for the MSM

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
When I went through Great Mistakes in '82 my CCs swallowed people's heads when they screamed. We learned quickly that if we won all the things they screamed less.
We always said there were only three medals in the Navy you earned; Rifle, Pistol, and Good Conduct. Everything else was WPRT.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
...It's the opposite of the Masonic lesson of personal excellence. I find it bizarre that folks taught that would be flocking to our doors wanting our methods of teaching personal excellence.
Sure Bro., the lessons are put out there, but, if you examine what actually occurs, it's all lip service.

You get a degree by paying money, showing up and following a conductor. You are not required to be excellent. You are only require to show up for the show and then pay your dues.

Sure, some jurisdiction require you to learn the script, but even those with this requirement are not requiring the excellence espoused by the scripts.

If we truly taught personal excellence, why do we have so many who haven't a clue as to how that manifests?

As one wife of a petitioner put forth in earnest, "This all sound great... How are you going to make my husband better? If you say that what you profess is important, how come it only takes 3 months to label him a "Master"? Shouldn't making a good man better take much longer?"

Companion Joe

Premium Member
I was at Glakes in 1978. Maybe my experience was the last gasp of Zumwaldt. Maybe it was just a few really good CCs.

I still picture BMC B L Arndt shaking his head at us when we didn't do the right thing or nodding at us when we did the right thing. Just like Dad never angry and never needing to be. The respect we were treated with left an impression on me far longer lasting than being called names ever could have. An experience in common with lodge.

Y'all must have been listening to too much James Taylor! My boot camp experience was more Guns N Roses.

I had a Navy recruiter speaking to my students the other day, and some of the things he said they do now just made me scratch my head.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Pro

Companion Joe

Premium Member
When I went through Great Mistakes in '82 my CCs swallowed people's heads when they screamed. We learned quickly that if we won all the things they screamed less.
We always said there were only three medals in the Navy you earned; Rifle, Pistol, and Good Conduct. Everything else was WPRT.

Fortunately, I earned all three of those. For a squid, earning a Good Conduct Medal is an achievement!

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Pro

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
For a squid, earning a Good Conduct Medal is an achievement!
Amen! Four years of not getting caught acting like a squid!
Outside of medals, there were a number of uniform items that had to be earned, like warfare badges. My prized possession is a black, green, red, and yellow patch I wore on my left breast pocket that struck fear or hatred in many operators eyes...

Bloke

Premium Member
Sure Bro., the lessons are put out there, but, if you examine what actually occurs, it's all lip service.

You get a degree by paying money, showing up and following a conductor. You are not required to be excellent. You are only require to show up for the show and then pay your dues.

Sure, some jurisdiction require you to learn the script, but even those with this requirement are not requiring the excellence espoused by the scripts.

If we truly taught personal excellence, why do we have so many who haven't a clue as to how that manifests?

As one wife of a petitioner put forth in earnest, "This all sound great... How are you going to make my husband better? If you say that what you profess is important, how come it only takes 3 months to label him a "Master"? Shouldn't making a good man better take much longer?"

Important questions...