My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Per Capita for Grand Lodge of Texas

How would you vote on the per capita recommendation?

• Yes

Votes: 40 54.1%
  • No

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • Wait I need more time, this is complicated

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Never ever

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • could care less, I will go to the restroom when this comes up at GL

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

owls84

Premium Member
The term "advertising" has such a conotation to it and make it seem like we are recruiting which we shouldn't. I think it would be better to use the term "educate." We can educate the public on Freemasonry much like this site does.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
The term "advertising" has such a conotation to it and make it seem like we are recruiting which we shouldn't. I think it would be better to use the term "educate." We can educate the public on Freemasonry much like this site does.

Exactly! Since we would be answering questions, we would be educating. Of course there will most likely be a conspiracy question or two asked and answered. I'm sure a question on how to join would probably come up as well.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Funny you mention that Josh because there is a whole other entity for just that called the Public Education Com. they got $1000 in 2003-04 and there is also a Public Relations Com. they got 128k in 2001-02 the radio thing and video was a whole other animal, educating the public is up to these Com.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
128K for Public Relations Committee? What was our slogan? "Lodge, it's where we go for dinner!" "Masons, the real thing!" "Freemasonry, the choice of a new generation."

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
What about proposing an amendment that would zero out the budget for things like, GL officers mileage, Texas Mason, Salaries for GS and other Masons who receive one but the ladies if anything get a raise at GL, PGM budget cut along with any other item that could be suspended or done away with till we are more financially stable?

PB, you'll need to put your amendment in writing & submit it to Jurisprudence for approval as to form just as soon as you get to Grand Lodge. Once it's approved, when the recommendation is presented on the floor, you can go to the podium & offer your amendment.

As to the GS's salary from the Library & Museum, your Lodge representative should have picked up a copy of the L&M report at GL last year. The report contains the financial data you're looking for.

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
Brother Dave, There is a State Wide Fund Raiser, or two to be exact.. First there is the Penney a Day program, This one only asks every Texas Mason to donate 1 cent per day for 10 years, or pay $36.50 one time. This will give a considerable boost to the operating capital at Grand Lodge. The second one I can think of is the Grand Lodge Golf Tournament that is advertised on the Web Site, annd will be held in a couple of weeks in Texas City, Texas. This one is fairly new, but catching on quickly. Last year it raised around $7,000. 00 for the general fund, it needs to be closer to $70,000.00 to make any significant difference, but every penny counts.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
I remember hearing something about the Golf Tournament. I do think that they need to probably make it a little more centrally located to make more accessible. Also I would try to schedule it around a popular event too. The GL Communication is probably too late in the year since they weather that weekend could be anything from 10 to 80 with chances of rain or sleet, but maybe a regional conference or Family Day.

It's the first I'm hearing about the Penny-A-Day. They mentioned something like it at the JW Retreat as an idea for a fundraiser in the Lodge, but they didn't say anything about it being a GL fundraiser. Of course this year I think it would be a bit difficult to ask people to save and donate like that when GL is wanting the per capita increase.

I wish I had better suggestions for fundraisers. but I think they are going to have to host things on a regional level or find something for around the GL Communication. I'll have to let the gears in my head grind a bit on this one. I don't like suggestion problems without being able to offer a possible solution. Maybe they need to take some suggestions from the brethren at GL this year for some ideas.

owls84

Premium Member
Why don't they hold GM Golf Tournaments in each region in lieu of a GM Conference? You could have a 6 or 8 in lieu of a Conference and place them in each region. To be honest, everything being said at the conference is something that can be sent to the Lodges by the DDGM. It is pretty much the same year after year. At least this time it can be major fund raiser. You can have sponsors and everything.

It would also cut down on having to travel to EVERY district for an "official" visit of hand shaking and kissing babies at $10 a peice.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Why don't they hold GM Golf Tournaments in each region in lieu of a GM Conference? You could have a 6 or 8 in lieu of a Conference and place them in each region. To be honest, everything being said at the conference is something that can be sent to the Lodges by the DDGM. It is pretty much the same year after year. At least this time it can be major fund raiser. You can have sponsors and everything.

It would also cut down on having to travel to EVERY district for an "official" visit of hand shaking and kissing babies at $10 a peice.

That's a pretty good idea. Most of what is said at those conferences can be said in an open meeting anyway. I remember a lot of it being the pushing of Masonic Charities, most notably this year the Old Mason's Home. And as you pointed out, anything not ment for the public can be handled by the DDGM's on normal Lodge Communication.

But this would help raise public awareness of not just Masons but the work we're in which we are involved. It would make for a great membership tool for the lodges in the regions. The Tournament should be open to both Masons and the public to take part, thereby increasing the funds raised. Local businesses would get a chance to sponser and advertise with it as well.

Bro. Josh, I think you've hit upon a great idea!

Bro. Kurt P.M.

2018 14G DCO
Premium Member
I support it 100%. All Texas Masons need to step up . Times are tough and Grand Lodge is not excluded.With that said, I would like to see a detailed financial report and explore places to cut costs. But overall I think this needs to be passed and we move forward.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
I support it 100%. All Texas Masons need to step up . Times are tough and Grand Lodge is not excluded.With that said, I would like to see a detailed financial report and explore places to cut costs. But overall I think this needs to be passed and we move forward.

There is a financial report from GL posted on here somewhere, and there are a few areas that could be cut.

Also, I don't think anyone denies that times are tough for GL as well. I think most people are upset that after GL got everyone sold on endowments to pay the dues, that for the last 3 years, they have not. In addition to them not paying their dues, the lodges are still having to pony up the money themselves to cover the per capita for those endowed members. Many lodges have already been forced to raise their dues in these tough times to pay for those that are already supposed to be covered. So the idea of having to cover even more under those circumstances has got a lot of people up in arms.

Example: A Lodge of 120 members in which 60 are endowed members. Current Lodge dues are $60 up from the previous $40 from when the Endowment Fund quite paying. Currently that would mean the Lodge owes GL $14.25 for every member totalling $1,710. From dues paying members, the Lodge collects $3,000. Since the Endowment units are not paying off, the Lodges are earning no income from the Endowment fund in which to pay the $855 it owes for just the endowed members much less getting any operational money for their Lodge dues. So instead of collecting $6,000 for all it's members and then having to pay the $1,710, they are paying it out of just $3,000. So now GL up the per capita by $10.75. That now means that this same Lodge owes $3,000 total for per capita to GL out of it's $3,000 of income, in which $1,500 of that should be paid for from the Endowment Fund.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
What a beating.. !

Too much going on with this thread.

First, I object to raising per capita at all, and would suggest lowering it until we can get some things straightened out. Throughout these 16 pages of posts, a lot has been brought up. One of the first was GL leadership. Yep. All I'll say about that one.

Another was the Texas Mason magazine. Get rid of it or put it completely online. Definitely not worth what we pay for it.

Grand Master's conferences. Why not have just one down in Waco? Charge however much for the people who want to attend, and make some revenue off of it like the Warden's Retreats.

Have GL officers stop doing all of the cornerstone ceremonies and let the actual lodges who work in those communities do it. Lots can be cut when it comes to GL travel expenses.

My main issue isn't with paying a little extra. To me, this is about principle. GL wants more money while we can't even get updated education programs? We can't get timely answers (if we get them at all) from Waco on anything. When we had the Q&A on this resolution read at our SM back in the summer, I recall there was a phrase in there saying something to the effect if we don't raise per capita, our GL will "stop being a progressive and forward thinking organization." I was pretty incensed by this comment. Do "progressive and forward thinking" organizations find themselves in the midst of 50 years of steady membership decline? Money decline? As Ashton pointed out earlier, all we are doing is throwing money at a symptom of the problem, and will open the door for this to happen on a much more frequent basis. In an almost comical way, this "give us more while we do less" mentality reeks of silliness.

Responsibility and accountablity. Lodges have already tightened the belt. This is very poor taste IMO to ask for this now, especially after what, two years in a row of lodges not seeing returns on endowments? How many of you would be in support of the govt almost doubling our taxes here in the middle of this recession? Same thing. Then we have the audacity to make comparisons with what the GL of California and others charge. Has anyone actually looked at what the GLoCali is doing? I would gladly pay $33 a year for that. However, we aren't getting it. And we won't either, because doing that kind of work interferes with shaking hands and kissing babies. Besides, what are we actually going to get out of this raise in per capita? What changes will we see? Who is talking about that?This is like going to work and asking your boss for a raise, because "If I get it, I just MIGHT work harder."

And yeah, sure, this is a system that our PMs put in place. Doesn't mean it works. Numbers all the way around speak to the contrary. With all these MMs running around here, why are we still wearing hoodwinks?

owls84

Premium Member
Hmmm....

Just saw the Masonic Education Topic for this month that Bro. Bob Northcutt wrote and I think it talks about this very thing. I find it funny that Grand Lodge askes for more money and comes around to the Lodges then publishes that the money we pay is not the "backbone" of Masonry. Does left hand EVER pay attention to the right? Just seems bad timing for this article when you are pushing to raise per capita.

http://grandlodgeoftexas.org/node/2686 or http://www.masonsoftexas.com/showthread.php/12218-Masonic-Education-Topic-for-Oct.-2010

M

mark!

Hmmm....

Just saw the Masonic Education Topic for this month that Bro. Bob Northcutt wrote and I think it talks about this very thing. I find it funny that Grand Lodge askes for more money and comes around to the Lodges then publishes that the money we pay is not the "backbone" of Masonry. Does left hand EVER pay attention to the right? Just seems bad timing for this article when you are pushing to raise per capita.

http://grandlodgeoftexas.org/node/2686 or http://www.masonsoftexas.com/showthread.php/12218-Masonic-Education-Topic-for-Oct.-2010

Indeed the article sort of contradicts what the GL is pushing for right now as far as monetary gains. Unfortunately, for a lot of Masons right now the economy is very tight. With those being laid off, unable to find contracts for work etc it has been a very tough and discouraging time for many. I have by a few pennies to throw in to this massive sea of explanations and proposals. My view is highly opinionated, as I have no backbone in this sort of commentary, as I am a relatively young Mason, with only 3.5 years in the Craft. Forgive me if I tread on anyone's feet, for that is not my intention.

Being a Mason, that's something to be mighty proud of. We all take an oath, for brotherly love, compassion, outreach, faith hope and charity. When a brother is down, we're the first to reach down and pick them up. Look around, how many of us have stumbled, and how many of you have fallen to your knees? This is a most crucial time for the Grand Lodge, as well as any lodge in this state. Massive budget cuts HAVE to be taken in to SERIOUS consideration. We must stand together, united as Masons have been since time untold. We view The Grand Lodge as the overhead that sets our rules, law and bylaws as well as where our dues go. Do we not remember the steps that HAVE been taken for the betterment of our Fraternity? We have taken strides in the right direction, FAITH is part of being a Mason, have faith in the powers at be that with our STRONG and AFFECTIONATE encouragement, they will continue to make progressive steps in the right direction. Stand firm and stand together during these troubling times. If lodge dues are raised, step forward to a brother who you may feel will struggle, offer to make up the difference for the annual dues he must pay. Step forward and help as many Brethren as you can, for the Lord knows many struggle far greater than we do. How many Brethren struggle to make ends meet to only not seek the assistance they so rightfully deserved by standing at that very alter as you did and recited that very obligation, from their heart, in the same sense you yourself did. In the event of an increase, we must reach out if possible, we must stand together. If you know of no brother who may require assistance, speak at the stated meeting, just a quick message that you would be willing to sponsor one or two brethren to make up the difference in dues this year, and they may seek you out in their own means to provide privacy for this matter. Seek fund-raising, garage sales, (We all know those old golf clubs aren't going to get used) have dinners for the public to purchase meal tickets, sale the tickets in advance as to not over supply yourselves on the night of the dinner. There are countless ways to provide income. Men, like us, built our fraternity. Men, like us, will make it survive. All of this talk about lodges folding, being torn down, it absolutely breaks my heart. As a young Mason, 26 years young, I will stand firm to my obligation and until my very last breath will uphold it to the best of my ability. Masonry is not just a meal club, it's a way of life. It's everything I had hoped it to be, but it will not reach its full potential unless we plant our feet firm, make the decision to practice our obligation quite literally and help those around us, and in doing so, we will help ourselves. Brethren, I ask you to go over your time as a Mason. Think of how it will be in 25 years from now? Will Freemasonry be as popular as it is right now, even through these tough times? Or will it be something of the past, something that only men who once served the Craft tell stories of while sitting around a table in a coffee shop.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
My view is highly opinionated, as I have no backbone in this sort of commentary, as I am a relatively young Mason, with only 3.5 years in the Craft. Forgive me if I tread on anyone's feet, for that is not my intention.

Brother, if you are a Master Mason, then your time in the craft should make no difference when it comes to opinions. The longer you stay quiet, the more mess we will have to clean up later. This downward spiral will not be fixed by throwing a few dollars at it, just as our economy won't be fixed by bailing out those "too big to fail" corporations with taxpayers' money. This is exactly what we are right now, pretending that we are still a 250,000 member organization. Still about that accountability and responsibility, which is the bane of every good ol' boy system out there.

One of the lodges I am a member of charges $30 a year for dues. This lodge isn't one with booming membership. Most of the few active members drive some distance to participate (2 hours for myself), and most are farmers and older retired men as well with very fixed incomes. They hold several fundraisers a year just to pay bills. If this passes, that will leave this lodge with around $5 per member to keep for the lodge. How many more fundraisers can they do each year to make ends meet? This increase will hasten the death of Masonry in many areas already struggling. Once we lose a Masonic presence somewhere, it will be very hard to get it back. This mismanagement is going to hurt our membership a lot worse than it already has, and with the proposed increases to follow, there is no end to it in sight.

Maybe this is just a coup de grace in disguise.

david918

Premium Member
I wonder if we will even have to pay per captia next year. I don't think there is a member of my lodge who took the A.L.L. program within 90 days of being raised so I guess we are all suspended.I was raised in Jan 1990 turned in my MM work in Feb 1990 but haven't completed the A.L.L.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
I wonder if we will even have to pay per captia next year. I don't think there is a member of my lodge who took the A.L.L. program within 90 days of being raised so I guess we are all suspended.I was raised in Jan 1990 turned in my MM work in Feb 1990 but haven't completed the A.L.L.

LMAO!!! Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.