My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pulling a Charter

owls84

Premium Member
I was reading an old law book (From 1919) and in it I saw where the Grand Master had the authority to do a lot of things, even make a Mason on sight. I then looked at a Law book from the 50s and it was all removed. The only time I can find a Grand Master can pull a charter is on unpaid annual returns.

We have had ours threatened before though and know where in the laws can I see that he has this power. I have asked before on here what gives him this power and it was responded with "He is the Grand Master he can do what he wants."

Frater Cliff Porter

Premium Member
In Colorado he can "arrest" the charter. Then the Grand Lodge as a committee of the whole votes on making it permanent or returning the charter at the end of the year.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Does a Grand Master have the authority to pull a charter?

The answer you are seeking is found in Art.III, Sec.1 of the Constitution:

"ARTICLE III JURISDICTION AND POWERS Section 1. – Exclusive Jurisdiction Over Masonry in Texas.

The Grand Lodge of Texas has exclusive jurisdiction over all regular Lodges and of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons within the limits of the State of Texas, and has exclusive power to constitute new Lodges, to revoke charters granted, to maintain uniformity in the mode of working, and generally to control Masonic affairs in this State, and is the highest power therein over the first three Degrees of Craft Masonry, to-wit: the Degrees of Entered Apprentice, Fellowcraft and Master Mason." (emphasis mine)

As the Grand Master is the titular & elected head of the Grand Lodge, by extension he has the authority to exercise the powers granted to the Grand Lodge, subject to the approval of the members of the Grand Lodge. In other words, he may take an action, but it must be approved by the Grand West at the Grand Annual Communication in order to have lasting effect.

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
In any jurisdiction unless it is stated in the by-laws as such, the Grand Master has the power to revoke the Charter of any Lodge that is a regular lodge under that Grand Lodges jurisdiction. In some cases he will send the DDGM to arrest the Charter and bring it back to the GL, which should then be deposited in the Grand Secretaries vault or safe for the time being. I have heard to this done a few times in my jurisdiction and in past history. A charter can be taken for a number of reasons, no representatives to Grand Sessions in a number of years, incorrect use of Lodge funds, non payment of GL dues, or something unmasonic behavior done by the Lodge as a Lodge(not a individual). He also has the power to go after the Lodge finances if that charter has been revoked as well as the Lodge regalia. Saw this happen year ago to a Lodge where they used funds incorrectly and the whole lodge was removed for a time being til the matter was cleared, they even came and got the regalia of the Lodge. In some cases, again depends on what the Lodge or the Building association did, they can even come after the Lodge property. That is to say, land or the building.

Last edited:

Frater Cliff Porter

Premium Member
so in the interim the lodge cannot meet, i assume?

Correct. They are unable to meet.

I have seen a GM remove the three princple officers of a lodge and appoint new men. He also warned the lodge that if he came back for the same problem, he would leave with their charter under his arm. But, in the end, it seems most GM's want to build lodges, not shut them down.

blackbeard

our GM certainly has that power at his discretion....a couple of years ago it was an option being considered when a group calling themselves the snakes were infiltrating the progressive line at lodges here.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
I think you are correct Bro. Cliff. The GM and GL would rather put a lodge back on the right path then shut them down. Case in point, we had just such an example this year in Texas. A lodge had repeated ignored GL in turn in their required paperwork that is used for our tax exempt status with the IRS. After 4 years of them not just "forgetting" but outright refusing, even when GL offered to help them with it, along with other charges filed against it over those 4 years; the GM went and arrested their charter. We then voted on whether to restore their charter to them or not at GL, which we did not.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Yup- they really didn't give GL much of a choice. They have to draw a line somewhere.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Once arrested by the Grand Master, if not returned by GL vote, is the charter pulled at that point?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Art. 256. (295). Demise of Lodge by Grand Lodge.
When a Lodge is suspended, or its Charter arrested by the Grand Master, or a Lodge ceases to function as required by the laws of the Grand Lodge, the matter shall be reported to the Grand Lodge at its next Annual Communication, with full details of the facts. If the Grand Lodge does not restore the Charter, or authorize the Lodge to resume labor, any such Lodge shall stand as demised.

I believe this is what happened. As best as I can tell, "final action of the Grand Lodge" has been taken- see below:

Art. 257. (296, 297). Suspended and Demised Defined.
A. The term “Suspended” shall apply to the status of Lodges whose charters have been arrested; and to those Lodges which fail to meet once in three months; or which voluntarily surrender their charters; or fail to make returns within the time required by Masonic law; or to pay their dues to the Grand Lodge on or before the first day of June of the year following such default.
B. The term ‘Demised” shall apply to Lodges whose charters have been revoked by final action of the Grand Lodge.

And this is what happens to the members of the Lodge:

Art. 258. (298). Members of Demised Lodges: Status.
When a Lodge has demised, those who were members thereof at the time of its demise occupy the position of nonaffiliated Masons, except those holding plural membership in some other Lodge.

Art. 261. (301). Members of Demised Lodges: Dues and Arrears.
A member in good standing at the time of the demise of his Lodge may, after payment of arrearage in dues, if any, obtain from the Grand Secretary a Certificate of Good Standing to apply for affiliation in some other Lodge; or (if he does not hold plural membership in some other Lodge) for a Certificate of Dimission as an unaffiliated Mason; or (if he holds plural membership in some other Lodge) for a Certificate of Withdrawal from the demised Lodge.

Ashton Lawson

Premium Member
A DDGM friend of mine told me on Saturday night that the lodge in question also refused the DDGM of that jurisdiction admission to the lodge, on the day of his official visit; even when presented with his dues card and GLofTX Certification card showing that he was their current DDGM. They told him that they didn't know who he was and didn't recognize him as any authority they had any obligation to discuss anything about their lodge with.

I suppose they're aware of who he is now. :53:

Weimer

Will they, as a "nonaffiliated mason", have a dues card to identify them as a master mason, so they can be a visitor to other Lodges?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Art. 258. (298). Members of Demised Lodges: Status.
When a Lodge has demised, those who were members thereof at the time of its demise occupy the position of nonaffiliated Masons, except those holding plural membership in some other Lodge.

Art. 260. (300). Suspended Lodge: Status of Members.
The status of the members of a suspended Lodge shall remain unchanged until the charter is restored, or the Lodge demises.
All unpaid dues of members accruing prior to the suspension of a Lodge, or subsequent thereto, may be paid to the Grand Secretary and his receipt taken therefor. Said receipt shall have the same force and effect as if the dues were paid to his Lodge, but shall not operate as a dimit or certificate of good standing.

As I read the above, if a Lodge demises or is suspended and a member thereof has a current dues card, his card is still valid. If a Lodge is suspended & a member thereof owes dues, he can pay them to the Grand Secretary and get a receipt, which would serve in the place of his dues card.

Kenneth Lottman

What would happen if a member of a demised lodge was a endowed member? Would he be just SOL and and have to pay the whole endowment to the new lodge that he joins?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
No, he would be able to move his endowment to any other Lodge of his choosing.

From Art. 318a:

"Consolidated Lodges Within 12 months after the date of consolidation of two or more Lodges, an endowed member whose endowed membership was not purchased in the surviving Lodge may, if he affiliates with another Lodge of this Grand Jurisdiction, at the time of the affiliation, transfer the endowed membership to the Lodge with which he affiliates, provided the Lodge did not purchase the endowed membership. The transfer of the endowed membership shall be effective as of the fiscal year-end of the Endowed Membership Fund following receipt by the Grand Secretary of the request to transfer the endowed membership.

Demised Lodges
Within 12 months after the dissolution or demise of an Endowed Lodge, the holder of an endowed membership certificate therein, if he affiliates with another Lodge of this Grand Jurisdiction, may transfer the endowed membership to the Lodge with which he affiliates. Any interest accruing from the Endowed Membership Fund from the date of the dissolution or demise of the Endowed Lodge to the date of the transfer of an endowed membership shall be added to the principal of the Grand Lodge Endowed Membership Fund."