My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purchasing and wearing your own apron.

RayverInColorado

For my raising coming up in a few days, I was told to bring the apron presented to me when I was initiated. I was a bit surprised by that as I have been told I wouldn't be wearing it again until death.

I was told after my EA initiation as I was given a tube to store it in, that most Masons only wear their presented Lamb Skins at special occasions and more times then not only at their Masonic Funeral.

Sent from my iPad using My Freemasonry

benluteijn

in my juristriction the apron will be given at the EA degree with the teachings that belongs to the apron, the same apron will be used by raising to the MM degree, we have also a custom (not all lodges) that the alpron that we received belonged to a brother who is in the Enternal East and will be given to a new EA that worth it to received that honour, therefore I will not wear an other apron (only as an officer or WM we wear an other apron) the apron i received as EA is to precious for me and also the symbolic meaning. wear your apron with dignity (and dignity you can not buy) by the way, if you bought a apron i hope you bought a nice one ;)

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Windtimber

We just had this discussion last night at our regular Saturday "Fireside" - Though in late July it's too hot for the fireplace and we were sitting in an air conditioned room on a lower floor of the Masonic Temple! The Oklahoma Indian Degree team had visited and presented their 1,066th custom apron commemorating the new Brother's raising. He was encouraged to wear it freely and regularly, with honor to himself and the Craft.

A number of us perform in the public production of The Traitor in our AASR Valley. We're very familiar with the story of Lafayette's presentation of a handmade, individualized apron to Washington. Since, by and large, we wear the white, broadcloth "Lodge Loaners" which run the gamut from pressed and pristine to tattered and torn, some of us have been considering making our own aprons in emulation of the work of the Marquise Lafayette in preparing the gift for her husband to present to his "father in Masonry".

We determined, based on Masonic experience ranging from nearly 30 years to nearly newly initiated Brothers, and a close familiarity with our GL and Lodge Bylaws and rules, there is no prohibition upon making your own apron. Likewise there is nothing wrong with wearing your presentation apron, either. That said, several Brothers reported being chastised by "knowledgeable" Brothers for wearing their presentation aprons. Those "knowledgeable" Brothers were either repeating a traditional canard ingrained over years of misconception or, perhaps, originally came from another jurisdiction which may have different formal rules. In our case, on at least one occasion the chastised Brother was rescued by none other than the then sitting GM who advised there was nothing amiss with wearing a presentation apron.

In extension of that discussion, involving Brothers with a combined Masonic experience of well past 100 years and serving in a variety of elective and appointive GL offices, that there was, in fact, nothing wrong in our Grand jurisdiction with wearing a presentation apron, an apron of an affiliated Masonic rite, or a Brother's purchased or self-made apron.

As noted elsewhere in this thread, we believe the apron, or lambskin, is the badge of a Freemason - no matter how it is decorated or how it appears. It is the universal symbol of our gentle Craft. The jewel of office, on the other hand, is the official talisman of an elective or appointive office. The jewel is appropriately worn when you are serving in your role as a officer, or when you have had a jewel presented as an honor to you as a past officer.

This is one of the beauties of Freemasonry. Healthy and interesting discussion - and a resolution that may not be unanimous as regards the outward trappings of the Fraternity. But the inward fundamentals - the inner not the outer man - are, indeed, universal.

GaTnMason

IMG_5530.JPG
IMG_5535.JPG
IMG_8007.JPG
Hello brethren,
I've actually worn my presentation apron twice to my grandfathers and my brothers funerals. Also used a couple of times to attend masonic funerals locally until I had my own made.
I wear it regularly at my lodge ,visiting lodges and Grand Lodge. I design the layout my self and both my lodges put on it. All my dates are also under the flap.
Fraturaly ,
M. David Gilbreath
Currently serving as JD
GaTnMason
Lifetime member of both states

Last edited:

Bloke

Premium Member
View attachment 5840 View attachment 5841 View attachment 5839 Hello brethren,
I've actually worn my presentation apron twice to my grandfathers and my brothers funerals. Also used a couple of times to attend masonic funerals locally until I had my own made.
I wear it regularly at my lodge ,visiting lodges and Grand Lodge. I design the layout my self and both my lodges put on it. All my dates are also under the flap.
Fraturaly ,
M. David Gilbreath
Currently serving as JD
GaTnMason
Lifetime member of both states
Lovely apron !

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Most US jurisdictions use all white for all three degrees. I'm guessing the box outside your lodge room has all white ones, as well.
In English Constitution lodges there is a difference in the aprons depending on the degree, but that's not something I've seen in the States.
We have three different ways an apron can be worn based on the degree that brother has attained.

--- jurisdictional

Last edited:

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Yes, they tell them Thats how operatives wore it but dont tell them to wear it down like we do

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app
I am curious and I wonder if Coach can answer this question.

Did operative masons in medieval times actually wear aprons? I've been looking at/have seen art that is of that period and most if not all stone masons did not wear an apron.

Last edited: