Recommending Comasonry

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by JJones, Jul 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

RE: Yes my GL doesn't recognize PHA but that's because PHA does not want our recognition or so i heard but that's a topic for another day.

FYI...

STRAIGHT FROM A PHA GOOD FRIEND: PHA Florida Recognized Mainstream Florida years ago via a letter to the FL MSGL and the Mainstream Florida GL ignored them. PHA Florida rescinded Recognition of FLMSGL after it received no response.

What you heard about PHA no wanting Recognition was not true when the PHA letter to Mainstream Florida was sent. It is FLMSGL's move next.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  2. MasterBulldawg

MasterBulldawg Registered User

CouchN,

I have heard 2 different stories: 1. Is like I said in my other post that PHA did not want our recognition now the part I did not say was the reason. I was told that it was because PHA thinks we are not selective enough in petition process that we let anyone in that can pass a background check and have the money for the initiation fee.

2. Was the same as you said above that they had sent a letter recognition to our Grand Lodge but when they were informed that there was a process that needed to be completed for them to gain recognition they decline to go through the process.

Also something that is use as an excuse is the fact that there is a couple Grand lodges claiming to be Prince Hall. But I believe the one in Jacksonville to be the real one based on my limited research.

Now I heard both these stories from two different brothers that was at the very high up in our Grand Lodge at one time and continues the be very active. Also know that there is a groundswell of support for recognition in the craft and i have hope to see it come out each year when they release the proposed legislation but as yet not seen it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using My Freemasonry mobile app

3. LK600

LK600 Registered User

Fwiw, I have been advised the same thing as Masterbuilddawg... at least in how the matter stands now. As far as what you conveyed, I do not doubt that.

4. coachn

Yep. I've heard these too and a few more as well.

I too hope this will be resolved and soon enough for me to enjoy sitting with Brothers who clearly need to be recognized.

LK600, Warrior1256 and MasterBulldawg like this.
  5. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

PHA and GL of Kentucky recognized each other years ago but no visitation privileges granted. This was remedied last year.

6. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

I can respect that. What I would advise though is that from my limited research I have found more bogus/spurious/boarderline dangerous GLs claiming to be PHA then CO/Fem GLs.

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Warrior1256 likes this.
  7. Roy_

Roy_ Registered User

This thread is running off-topic, but I'm glad to see that most responders do not seem to object talking about mixed gender FM. That is (in my eyes) an improvement. Not too long ago when I joined this forum only mentioning that I was member of such an organisation unleashed havoc.

Would it be fun / educational to have a thread about mixed gender and "femalecraft" Freemasonry?

8. coachn

LOL! You act as if you should have expected differently from members of a male dominated forum who are members of male craft.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  9. Roy_

Roy_ Registered User

I do, that's why I just wanted to mention that this thread is surprisingly open.

10. Ripcord22A

Ill admit it, i was one that didnt agree with it, still really dont...however I understand that it exists and offers something that my GL doesnt and there is nothing I can do about it. Also after reading what coach, glen and JC have said opened my eyes. Just cause my GL says something doesnt make it so outside of my borders! Also the PHA and gay situation made this topic a bit more clear for me as well

Brother JC likes this.
  11. Warrior1256

Yeah, really!

12. Warrior1256

I really have no problem with someone joining co-masonry, to each his own I say. However, I do have a problem when someone tells me that I SHOULD recognize it as legitimate and failure to do so makes me a bigot, sexist, etc., etc., etc.

MasterBulldawg, JJones and Ripcord22A like this.
  13. Ripcord22A

I would also say that as long as they explain to their petitioners that their sect of Freemasonry is not what the World At Large recognizes as Freemasonry and that there will only be a small selection of lodges that they will be able to visit

LK600, MasterBulldawg and Warrior1256 like this.
  14. Warrior1256

Agreed.

15. JJones

JJones Moderator Staff Member

You know, this thread has encouraged me to do a good deal of reflection on this topic and I've come to the same conclusion. In fact, the reason I started this thread in the first place was that I've voiced my opinion on this topic in the past and was told I was ignorant, sexist, and so forth.

We don't have to agree to get along. I'll hear your opinions and thoughts but be prepared to hear mine as well.

16. Roy_

Roy_ Registered User

Often things are presented black-and-white, while the Masonic landscape is very divers. It could well be that of three GLs two recognise one another but not the third, while that third is not necessarily the same from all points of the triangle, just look at 'the Georgia situation'.

History learns us that "regular" versus "irregular" is not an unchanging situation either. Only decades after the "Premier Grand Lodge" there already were three other, some "united" later on, other took centuries to recognise each other.

Then there are quite big differences between what is sometimes called "Anglo-American" and "continental" Freemasonry. Just think about the fact that the largest Masonic organisation in France allows their lodges to admit women. The fact that they don't play by exactly the same rules as your own GL, so there can be no visitation, does that mean that they practice 'false' FM? Like I said earlier, perhaps we should (try to) see which organisations are "otherwise regular in their workings", there is no reason to fight.

There will certainly be people who think that way, but it's similar the other way around. Organisations that do not play by the same rules as someone's GL are "clandestine" and should vanish, instead of just 'not recognised by my GL'. A better path, in my opinion, is to acknowledge that there are different forms of FM and some (many) may not be ours.

That is not entirely true. Say, you're a member of the Regular Grand Lodge of Belgium. They represent 6% of the Belgian Freemasons, so you will not be able to visit 94% of the Belgian lodges. Or you're a "regular" Mason from the USA and you travel to France... Masonic life is easier for "irregular" Masons in both countries. On a global scale you are undoubtedly correct.

Personally I don't really see this as an argument either way. In my country there are some 30 lodges that I can visit (mixed gender of different organisations) and some 180 ("regular") that I can't. I have a hard time enough to even visit all these 30 lodges once. When I look at Belgium there are hundreds of lodges that I can visit, but I probably never will. When I travel to some country, say Iceland, there are lodges that I can visit. I can only 'pick' from fewer lodges, but still many more than I will ever have the time for.

Like I said above, as long as we recognise that we all are here and respect that people make choices that would not have been your own, we can inform people who are looking for more information and tell them about the differences without torching organisations that are not (recognised by) your own.

17. Warrior1256

Absolutely, very fair. We are entitled to our opinions.

18. Warrior1256

I do acknowledge that there are different types of Masonry. But I also consider co-Masonry as irregular and clandestine. As I said, to each his own.

JJones likes this.
  19. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

What country would that be, sir?

20. Ripcord22A

While i know next to nothing about Co-masonry it seems more like the Odd-fellows to me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share My Freemasonry