My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refusing...

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
I have looked throught the law book and can find nothing on this, I still am lookinng for the law that says you cannot ask for a members dues card. I see where 381 leaves it open ending with the term visitor but I do not see anywhere else where it has a diffent procedure for members and various others, now keep in mind I am legally blind when I look in the law book but 20/20 otherwise.

BTW, even if he showed his card, you would still have to go through the avouchment process, as the SW could not state that he had ever sat in Lodge with the Brother.

Art 380 says a Texas MM with dues cards and ID does not have to go through the avouchment or examination process which would include the SW being satisfied would it not? If he were not satisified then the Brother would have to be vouched for which the law says that he does not have to be nor examined if he is Texas MM so I am thourghly confused?? :(
I feel like my law book or brain is missing a section!! :)

Last edited:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Art 380 says a Texas MM with dues cards and ID does not have to go through the avouchment or examination process which would include the SW being satisfied would it not? If he were not satisified then the Brother would have to be vouched for which the law says that he does not have to be nor examined if he is Texas MM so I am thourghly confused?? :(
I feel like my law book or brain is missing a section!! :)

No, you are reading it correctly. The problem is that the Law says one thing while the Committee on Work is saying something else- just another thing which really needs to be clarified @ Grand Lodge. Are we having fun yet? ;)

LRG- you're kinda close but not quite. Anyone else?

J

JEbeling

well maybe the "Committee on Hope and Change" should read the law .. !
seems like that might solve the problem.. !

Wingnut

Premium Member
or there is some confusion on what is an examination. To me, showing ID and dues card is not an examination but a verification. Examination is what a committee does to satisfy themselves a Brother is a Brother and not some Mother trying to come off as a brother...

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
OK. The answer is:

1. The sitting Grand Master.

2. The DDGM when making his official visit(s). As he is representing the GM, he is treated the same.

Now, here's one on Masonic protocol- you won't find it in the Law book:

When pro tem-ing (filling in) for an officer of the Lodge, do you wear:

1. His apron but not his jewel.

2. His jewel but not his apron.

3. Both.

4. Neither.

theme from Jeopardy follows :D

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Let's try another one. When conducting a Masonic funeral, do the officers wear their aprons?

Wingnut

Premium Member
sadly Ive been to a lot lately... I told my wife you know your getting old when you go to more funerals than weddings.

owls84

Premium Member
Also can we break some of these hypotheticals off and title them so they could be more easily searched in the future?

JBD

Premium Member
Can someone back this up with Art. numbers?

You responding to Wingnut's post directly above yours or what?

I don't think Wingnut's post is referenced in the Law

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: