Rod Blagojevich

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by Chicago Glenn, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Chicago Glenn

Chicago Glenn Registered User

Was the former Governor of Illinois, Rod Blagojevich, ever expelled from Masonry after his felony conviction and incarceration?

2. Winter

Winter Premium Member

I had never heard that Rod Blagojevich was a Freemason. Got a source for that?

Bill Lins and Bloke like this.
  3. Jim Licquia

Jim Licquia Registered User

Same would be true of former governor George Ryan. Was he expelled?

4. Mike Martin

Mike Martin Eternal Apprentice Premium Member

How have you come by the fact that they are/were Freemasons?

5. Jim Licquia

Jim Licquia Registered User

6. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

That's nice - but there are no footnotes. My (extensive) experience of web sites like this is they use all sorts of uncited sources to compile their lists and hence are not reliable.

In this instance they do actually cite a source - Source: usnews.com - and I have seen several instances where very reputable newspapers incorrectly say men are Freemasons when they are not. This would not meet my burden of proof when researching famous Freemasons.

Bill Lins likes this.
  7. Mike Martin

W
    Well I can see one non-Mason on there straight away which is Louie Armstrong. The Knights of Pythias are not Freemasonry.

8. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

The media/news reporting things incorrectly?!?!? In the U.S., that's unheard of. :rolleyes:

Bill Lins, jermy Bell and Bloke like this.
  9. Mike Martin

Sadly it’s not just the media, many Freemasons are too keen to believe claimed famous members. A recent couple are John Entwistle of the Who and Freddie Mercury, neither of whom were actually members.

CLewey44 likes this.
  10. David612

David612 Registered User

I don’t understand the obsession with “famous” masons... in what world does it matter?

11. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I think the reason for it is that Famous members can be seen as legitimizing Freemasonry and also can demonstrate diversity.

12. Mike Martin

I don't get it either, although there are some interesting historical Freemasons the rest of it is just a distraction really.

13. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

Its the same basic reason that people in general has an obsession with celeberties. Freemasons dont live in a bubble and are influenced by the society they live in.

14. David612

David612 Registered User

Having a “celebrity” in the lodge seems like it would be more of a hassle than anything, if nothing else their schedule would preclude them from being particularly active.

15. Chicago Glenn

The worshipful masters from two different lodges here in the north side of Chicago mentioned it. Interestingly enough one of the worshipful masters actually has a criminal conviction on his record. I just thought that was something that disqualified someone from becoming or remaining a mason.

16. Chicago Glenn

Two different worshipful masters from two different lodges on the north side of Chicago mentioned it.

17. Mike Martin

Being well aware of how these things happen I would have asked them about their source. Masters are no less likely to be mistaken than anyone else.

18. jermy Bell

jermy Bell Registered User

Well, that's the way it's supposed to be. But it's probably who he knows and how many in lodge are willing to look the other way. You don't want to give a buddy the boot.

19. Mike Martin

You see?

Here is the kind of statement where, if I was in conversation with a person, I would ask them to clarify their source. As unless it has come first hand from a trustable source it is just "idle gossip". One of those things that a good Freemason should refrain from getting involved with.

jermy Bell likes this.

Share My Freemasonry