Shrine in Arkansas drops MM requirement

Discussion in 'Shrine' started by Brennan, Jul 1, 2013.

1. RiverRatDoc

RiverRatDoc Registered User

I haven't found the section dealing with 'plural' yet.
    No! I wouldn't "..just make definitions up" brother. Egad!

2. RiverRatDoc

I have discovered on looking at 6 states, their definitions differ.

Of the 6 so far, half use the definition 'dual' to refer to membership in two or more lodges in same jurisdiction. Plural being membership in two Jurisdictions.

The other half use plural to denote double membership in same jurisdiction & dual as membership in 2 jurisdictions.

Admittedly after spending some hours, flipping pages, my eyes & brain are saturated.

I think R:.W:. Cook, that is what you were wanting me to uncover specifically.

3. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

For even more fun, some jurisdictions use the word multiple as well as dual or instead of dual.

Being a member in 3 jurisdictions I'm called plural. In Illinois I am a member of 2 lodges so there I am called multiple rather than your cited dual.

4. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Thanks, but I'm not RW. I appreciate your effort, but I was asking for citation. That means a code or law section,much as Utah, Title 5. Section 2, or the like.

But I think you've spent sufficient time on the subject and that we're agreed: there is no commonly accepted definition of plural and dual memberships.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    RiverRatDoc likes this.
  5. RiverRatDoc

Thank you for the gentle push. I specifically chose not to overtly cite which Juris I was leaning on, (for the casual reader, the Cowan, or the obligated instigators). I suspect that it wouldn't be too hard to perform due diligence & suss out where I'm currently at. I'm not embarrassed, but I conversely know I am in no capacity to speak officially for my state.
    I am in a capacity to speak to Shrine related matters, being one of the 5 principle officers in my temple (yet even there, I have to represent my Temple & local Association ).
    It's easier to refer to rules in SI. (albeit, there's two 3 ring binders on my desk-- BATS manual w/ updated rulings on CD's annually. It is almost like our Federal tax code).

6. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

I view it somewhat differently: by not citing to code in making your declaration as to definitions, you are setting yourself up as an authority in the jurisdiction. Those experienced in Masonic jurisprudence recommend citation to resolve matters, and not opinion. Additionally, we know you don't have authority to speak for your jurisdiction, and we know who does.

As to your Shrine office, I would urge caution in interpreting Shrine law, particularly as a junior officer. On an Internet discussion, I am hard pressed to do other than cite to the bylaws or correct facts within my knowledge.

RiverRatDoc and Bill Lins like this.
  7. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Is there anything new on this matter between the GL of Arkansas and the Shrine?

8. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

No. All the stuff currently going on has to do with internal GL of Arkansas politics and the present GM trying to purge the line of people he doesn't like.
    Chris Hodapp has some good overviews on his blog.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  9. Warrior1256

Yeah, I've read some of these. I was just curious as to whether the GL and Shrine were still at odds or had reconciled. I couldn't find anything current that mentions it.

10. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

They still don't get along. Think the GL of Arkansas doesn't have many friends presently.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  11. Warrior1256

From what I've been reading that certainly seems to be the case.

Share My Freemasonry